Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Health Problem

Options
  • 23-06-2016 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Basicly i have a problem in work.

In my work contact it says that my company pays for my health in full as it was agreed on when i was working on my contract with them.

So for the past 4 months working there i have had health cover.

Now today on my wage slip they are going to charge me 165 euros a month for health and after to speaking to payroll they told me i have to cover the full years membership of 1155 in the next 7 months of pay and that i dont get my health paid for as said in my contract. I didnt think it was legal for them to charge me a years membership for only 7 months ?.

I have been on to HR about it and they told me that i am not post to get chargered for any of it and there paying for my health as outlined in my contact.

So basically what is my legal standing with the company over this ?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Are you 100% sure the 165 is being deducted from your pay? Is there a chance it's actually showing on your payslip as Notional Pay or BIK? If your employer pays your health insurance on your behalf (directly to a health insurance provider) then it's BIK and you have to pay tax on it. Perhaps it wasn't showing up on the previous four payslips as HR had not passed on your policy details to payroll yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yes on my payslip its none tax charge is said of 165 euros. Very strange as i have been paying the BIK for the last few months since starting. It works out about 30 euros a month via BIK.

My wage shows my
    BUS Tax saver.
    PRSI.
    BIK
    USC
    PAYE.

Now we have the strange one and have spoke to payroll they basically said i have to pay for it in full as my contract does not say it ..... When HR says it does.

This isn't the 1st problem i have had there with things. The fact people who have kids get better hours and are aload leave earlier then me. I have to work the night shifts while my manager says they have kids and says i am going to be the one to work them from now on. I have went to HR about this she hates it as well but there is no laws against it but she fells bad for me for getting stuck on it but the manager wont change it. When i asked can we not do them in turns he refused.

They keep changing my shift at 3 days note and it says in my contact thay can change my shift with 14 days note they dont.

Just endless amounts of stuff that i am not happy with any if you try speak to someone about things its your fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I think your getting some insight into your company whereby HR are stating one thing, yet Payroll are saying another.

If you have a HR department they are effectively your internal arbitrator relating to your contract. So Payroll should be changing their stance. Separately, your company cannot move your health insurance onto you, as in you pay it. They can stop paying your health insurance, and advise you of an end date by which you can take it up or it will just lapse.

Advise your HR contact that payroll have outlined they will not change their stance. You will need to keep pushing this to get it sorted.

If I was you I'd be looking for clarification in writing on the health insurance change, and also be seeking backdated payments for each instance you were made pay it. Regardless of the current policy on health, the company did not communicate with you the proposed change and provide you the option to opt out.

My last company had paid health insurance and during the recession they notified staff this would be stopped. We got 60 days notice to which we could make a decision and I cancelled mine entirely.

Advertisement