Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door salesman allowed times to call

Options
  • 23-06-2016 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭

Is there a restriction on the hours a door salesman can call?

Why do these people think it's perfectly acceptable to ring/hammer down at door 8.30/9 at night.

Is there any law that states no calling at house after X o'clock or is that a case that it would be case of turkeys voting for Christmas since politicians like to call at any hour of the day when it's election time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's no law

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The happy flip side is that you're perfectly entitled to tell them to fcuk off 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There needs to be a do not knock register where if they do it's a €500 fine, like what's in place for unsolicited phone calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

This exact question was asked a few months ago, with the same answers. No law. Don't open the door/disconnect the doorbell/put up a sign saying no unsolicited callers, that's about as much as you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

There's a topic about door callers/salespeople here.

I bought a sign on eBay telling them to pi55 off that I'm not interested.

7EKeDjh.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

A polite sign on the door is probably best.

Before i moved to a nice rural laneway (no cold callers ever!! :) ) I lived in a commuter town and simply had a small sign says

"Excluding those living within this estate, we do not buy from or give to any person or organisation at the door"

It meant that local neighbours looking for a donation for a local cause could and did knock, but utility and sky sales people did not. Several other houses put an idenical notice up too as it didn't alienate those living close to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There's a topic about door callers/salespeople here.

I bought a sign on eBay telling them to pi55 off that I'm not interested.

7EKeDjh.jpg

That sign means nothing.

ted1 wrote: »
    That sign means nothing.
    Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Well you are entitled to ask them not to call again. You could put a sign up saying "no cold callers please".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

You can't really stop them calling to your house unfortunately.

There a pain in the bollocks, and the worst are the ones looking for direct debit donations. I'm hardly going to give you my bank details know am I.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Why?

Because they can still knock/ring, thats why.

With 2 exceptions in about 18 months they usually pass by.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Lux23 wrote: »
    Well you are entitled to ask them not to call again. You could put a sign up saying "no cold callers please".

Might put extra coat on and call back

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

That sign means nothing.

You could claim the same about no junk mail signs,
    But yet after I put one up my junk mail was cut by 90%, clearly most people obey them.

If they don't then simply abuse the idiot who ignores it

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Gmaximum

Where I live we get at least one utility company calling every month. We've 3 young kids and invariably it's a time when we're busy trying to get then to bed or feed them

I've contacted all if the energy companies who call regularly and they've all said the add the address to their no call lists. Seems to have worked so far anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Why?

Because it has no legal bearing and sakes guys ignore them

Never said it did... They walk up driveway, look then walk away. Job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

i got this sign a few years back and its reduced the amount of door knockers to about two a year

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/No-Canvassers-No-Cold-Callers-Front-Door-Letter-Box-Sign-Sticker-/262497019016?hash=item3d1e0aa488:g:2yIAAOSwMNxXUYsb

someone knocked a few month backs and rang the bell, i ignored it
    bell rang again and they knocked again, i was in a foul mood and that pissed me off as the small fella was trying to sleep
    opened the door and hurled a load of abuse at them, i just let rip and shut the door

next day a woman in the estate called to my wife
    "what did your husband say to the priest last night ?"

it was the priest and a few locals collecting money for a raffle of some kind, i still have a giggle thinking about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

i got this sign a few years back and its reduced the amount of door knockers to about two a year

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/No-Canvassers-No-Cold-Callers-Front-Door-Letter-Box-Sign-Sticker-/262497019016?hash=item3d1e0aa488:g:2yIAAOSwMNxXUYsb

someone knocked a few month backs and rang the bell, i ignored it
    bell rang again and they knocked again, i was in a foul mood and that pissed me off as the small fella was trying to sleep
    opened the door and hurled a load of abuse at them, i just let rip and shut the door

next day a woman in the estate called to my wife
    "what did your husband say to the priest last night ?"

it was the priest and a few locals collecting money for a raffle of some kind, i still have a giggle thinking about it

that's still cold calling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

I know but like I said I only get about 2 a year when I was getting 5 a week before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ridiculous, scumbag assholes might ignore them, many sales guys are (why else would they accept such a highly objectionable and anti-social job) but I think even many scumbag ones would obey the sign. Your original post was making out like there would be zero difference.

I have had no doorbell for about 12 years now, no need for one in this day & age.

I don't like the thought of putting up signs, where does it end? it makes it look like those without signs are inviting these intrusions upon themselves. "No sign up saying no pissing or fireworks in the letter box, so you were fair game"

Advertisement