Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to format a write protected micro SD card?

Options
  • 23-06-2016 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭

I used the command diskpart to open DISKPART in a new command window.However the specified disk/micro SD card is not valid.There is no disk to be selected.

In addition I ran the command regedit and by clicking the mouse from the windows registry editor attempted unsuccessfully to reach the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies.

Unable to find StorageDevicePolicies?Supposedly after reaching this path,search about this registry key " WriteProtect" then click right click "modify".You will find key value 1 replace it with zero value then click OK.Remove your usb flash drive then insert it again or restart your PC.

Can anybody advise me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

HP released a tool that can "unlock" SDs that are stuck like that. Have a google for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

ED E wrote: »
    HP released a tool that can "unlock" SDs that are stuck like that. Have a google for it.

Great job,worked a treat.Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

ED E wrote: »

Hi

I goolged and failed !
    have you got a link for that?

regards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Hi

I goolged and failed !
    have you got a link for that?

regards

Maybe this?

https://www.google.ie/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=hp%20sd%20card%20formatter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

seligehgit wrote: »
    Great job,worked a treat.Thanks very much.

I would love to know what you found. I have the same problem as you and have trawled the internet for solutions trying all the options that you tried.

The write protect on micro SD cards is achieved via a small extra chip on the card that prevents writing but allows reading. (standard SD cards have a slider switch on the side to achieve write protect).

There is a program that will reprogram the "write" chip to allow writing to the micro SD card.

Is this what you found and achieved? Or was it something else?

I paid enough for the SD card and am unwilling to pay for another one just because the manufacturer (Scan Disk) chooses to prevent me writing to the SD card due to some computer fault

• Advertisement

I would love to know what you found. I have the same problem as you and have trawled the internet for solutions trying all the options that you tried.

The write protect on micro SD cards is achieved via a small extra chip on the card that prevents writing but allows reading. (standard SD cards have a slider switch on the side to achieve write protect).

There is a program that will reprogram the "write" chip to allow writing to the micro SD card.

Is this what you found and achieved? Or was it something else?

I paid enough for the SD card and am unwilling to pay for another one just because the manufacturer (Scan Disk) chooses to prevent me writing to the SD card due to some computer fault

I have same issue with a pny micro SD card. Spend some time at in both linux command line and windows. Nothing works from what I could could gather on some forums this is a sign of a faulty card gave up and brought a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

I find it safer to use a usb card reader when formatting.
    Sometimes on certain laptops i,d get window .do you wish to format this
    drive, i ignore it. click cancel ,and remove the card
    When i insert an sdcard with data on it.

My tablet does not detect cards over 16gig in size.

riclad wrote: »
    https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

I find it safer to use a usb card reader when formatting.
    Sometimes on certain laptops i,d get window .do you wish to format this
    drive, i ignore it. click cancel ,and remove the card
    When i insert an sdcard with data on it.

My tablet does not detect cards over 16gig in size.

I have tried that formatter_4 program, it reports that I need to "remove the write protect before proceeding".

All other similiar type programs that i have found online are flagged as trojan and deleted by my anti-virus.

I'm not giving up yet.

I have tried that formatter_4 program, it reports that I need to "remove the write protect before proceeding".

All other similiar type programs that i have found online are flagged as trojan and deleted by my anti-virus.

I'm not giving up yet.

Have you tried diskpart utility in windows?
    If this does not work it probably corrupted beyond repair.
    Step 4 of 4: How to erase a write-protected USB drive or SD card: Using Diskpart

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/storage/how-erase-write-protected-usb-drive-or-sd-card-summary-3633096/

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Have you tried diskpart utility in windows?
    If this does not work it probably corrupted beyond repair.
    Step 4 of 4: How to erase a write-protected USB drive or SD card: Using Diskpart

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/storage/how-erase-write-protected-usb-drive-or-sd-card-summary-3633096/

Yes have done the Diskpart utility.

I just need the program to open up the write protection chip that is not allowing me put extra data on the card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Maybe plug it in to a pc running linux ,and click format drive external sd card

Advertisement