Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torn between engineering in NUI Galway and UL!

Options
  • 23-06-2016 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

I want to study engineering (probably mechanical) and have narrowed my choice down to 2 colleges!

Reasons to go to UL:
    More courses that interest me if i change my mind ( chemical and aeronautical engineering)

I think its a tad cheaper. (rent)
    supposedly has better links to the industry?

Reasons for NUIG:
    Looks to have better equipment? (new engineering building)
    Better reputation?

Could anyone who does engineering in either institutions please tell me a bit about their experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matthew1998

BUMP

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

I attend UL, I got accommodation for 65 euro a week this year, and next year it's going to cost me 75 euro a week next year, so rent is definitely on the cheap side in Limerick which is great! However it's beginning to go up and it's becoming harder and harder to find accommodation, I believe Galway also has this problem.

I wouldn't say there's much of a difference between any university in the country, the best thing you can do is compare the courses- do they both offer work experience? is their an opportunity to do Erasmus? College is only 4 years so you want to get the best CV possible. I absolutely love UL but have lots of friends that are really enjoying their time in NUIG. In terms of reputation, the only Irish university that is recognized internationally is Trinity, but the degree award you get at the end is more important than the name of the college you attended.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matthew1998

Midkemia wrote: »

Thanks very much for the reply. UCD and Trinity are completely off the table due to the costs...

I wonder is UCC any cheaper? ....hardly..?

Yeah UL has more courses such as Aeronautical and Chemical engineering! :)
    What is UL's engineering building(s) like?

Advertisement