Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer for Music Production Needed - Help, Please.

Options
  • 23-06-2016 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi everyone,

So, I need to build a PC for music production (specifically for using a number of sound libraries--a number which will increase as the years go by). The basic essentials that I'm sure I have to have are an i7 processor, 16GB of RAM with space to upgrade to 32GB, and a soundcard / audio interface that supports ASIO drivers.

Budget is probably between €1000 and €15000 at the very most.

I'm quite new to all of this, so any help in layman's terms would be helpful.

Some further things I'm wondering about:

I was told that it would be preferable to have a 250 GB SSD to hold the OS and programs
    and 2 TB magnetic HDD for the sound libraries? Would you agree? A video card with two DVI to allow me to run two video monitors has also been suggested.

I'm a little out of my depth with the lingo and what is necessary and (maybe equally as important for the budget) what is not necessary to have.

Any help you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Meek.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

What DAW will you be using?
    If it was me, I'd just buy an entry level MacBook Pro, upgrade it's RAM, and get a large external Thunderbolt drive to record to and store your libraries on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Just built an i7 4790k pc for production and light gaming recently and if I had to do it all again without the limited (€850) budget here's what I would build http://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/cHPkTH

Might be worth posting in the pc building and upgrading forum they can give you better advice than me http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842

What programmes will you be running through it? Might be worth looking into building a hackintosh.

Just as a note I stuck with the stock cooler and I have to upgrade to a better cooler when the cpu is maxed it causes performance issues for me because the stock cooler is dirt! I was recommended to get a noctua cooler for the 4790k but for yourself consider a silent closed loop liquid cooler but the noctua is pretty good at kepping it cool I am told and its low dB. The R5 case is acoustically treated so not much noise would come from it anyway.

No audio interface but if you have that kind of budget consider a pro tools HD system!

Advertisement