Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

has anyone received abuse from the public?

• 23-06-2016 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭

I just recounted an encounter (one of many) on the TPD thread and it had me wondering what is the general consensus of the public? Has anyone here been the target of verbal or other forms of abuse or know of anyone who was?

Thankfully for me its been all brief and verbal and in some cases quite humorous.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Not really. Just had a few "Them yokes are worse than the fags" comments, nothing major. I get the more curious people who ask a million questions, then want to try it. Some of them near cough up a lung because my set up will always be sub ohm direct lung style and they're just not expecting it. But generally they compliment the flavors and 'creaminess' of the vape and promise to "buy one of them things .... how much are they?" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Jsmurff

Yeah got a lot of that in the college smoking area especially from the stoners "man I wish weed tasted as good as that" lol

Also got praise for replacing the stale smoke with fruity scents.

The second you utter the cost of your setup people generally give you that look of disbelief and give an example of how it could be better spent, to which I often replied "don't you have a lecture right now?" :D (I knew these people and they practically lived in the smoking area ducking their tutors)

The other one I get often is "You don't know what's in those liquids" - and I've had the best answer for that one for a while now - "I make my own juices, I know exactly what's in them" - seems to stop them in their tracks, and become a little more positive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭j26m

The other one I get often is "You don't know what's in those liquids" - and I've had the best answer for that one for a while now - "I make my own juices, I know exactly what's in them" - seems to stop them in their tracks, and become a little more positive

I've had that one a couple of times.

I've also been told of all the battery explosions - to which I point out that the stats say you are roughly as likely to win the Lotto as to be injured by a battery explosion.

j26m wrote: »
    I've had that one a couple of times.

I've also been told of all the battery explosions - to which I point out that the stats say you are roughly as likely to win the Lotto as to be injured by a battery explosion.

Yeah I've gotten that as well but more so the device itself will burst into flames and when you ask why "oh who knows but mark my word's that'll take a chunk outta ya one of these days".
    Do you own one?
    "No."
    Do you plan to?
    "Absolutely not, no way. Never"
    Well good you've nothing to worry about. Now on yer bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Whenever anyone tells me that they're just as bad as smokes, quotes some daily mail popcorn lung nonsense and that I should quit altogether I give them a stock answer:

"I enjoy vaping because I find it helps me mind my own ****ing business."

(credit goes to Ronnie Drew for the quote)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Not really, we are lucky as we can use our pipe in our local pub, its not a high vape one so only a small amount of vape comes out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 rhabarbarum

Not so much abuse, more of misunderstanding. Some people would say, maybe you shouldn't do this vaping thing in here, who knows what things that vapor contains. Well, I said I know exactly what it contains, mainly water vapor. But they were still unconvinced.

Not so much abuse, more of misunderstanding. Some people would say, maybe you shouldn't do this vaping thing in here, who knows what things that vapor contains. Well, I said I know exactly what it contains, mainly water vapor. But they were still unconvinced.

Well unless you're making your own vapes or you have a lab at your disposal there's no real sure-fire way of knowing exactly what's in there.

In any case I've come to accept that is the Irish way. Even if you had a nice crisp authentic doctorate on hand to show you know exactly what you're talking about you would still be met with overwhelming doubt.

I haven't heard that comment before as I only vape indoors when I am either at home or at a friends house but that's because I sub ohm vape so I'll have the place fogged out in minutes.

If your using an mtl device like an e-pen I wouldn't see the harm in using it indoors as there's SFA vape off those.

I would generally ask the staff what their policy is and it's mostly a no answer and even if management says yes others will ask you to stop generally speaking they have every right to.

What's been grinding my gears lately is my brother regurgitating quotes from the"Vape Nation" video...... all day...... every day.......

You don't need a lab to tell people you know what's in there. They only want to be assured. Be firm and positive, say you make your own juice [even if you don't] and that you're comfortable with it and know it's safe. Make a point about it containing only 4 ingredients, VG, PG, food grade flavouring and nic. Memorise that, it IS all that is in there. The people asking usually just want to get at you tbh, usually smokers who just can't be arsed to even try.

• Advertisement

You don't need a lab to tell people you know what's in there. They only want to be assured. Be firm and positive, say you make your own juice [even if you don't] and that you're comfortable with it and know it's safe. Make a point about it containing only 4 ingredients, VG, PG, food grade flavouring and nic. Memorise that, it IS all that is in there. The people asking usually just want to get at you tbh, usually smokers who just can't be arsed to even try.

I do answer this question very honestly
    "What's in that?"
    Me: "Oh... you know... stuff for making clouds"
    Followed by about 5-15 seconds of direct eye contact and awkward silence. After that people generally leave. I love this answer because I haven't an iota of what's in the mass produced vapes and I've found that admitting to neither knowing nor caring seems to invoke this dormant parental like mentality in these people and then they just wont stfu! :pac:

Can't wait to start making my own vape so I can truly say I know exactly what's in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 rhabarbarum

Well, I have some idea about ingredients. The liquid used mainly consists of propylene glycol, glycerol, distilled water, flavorings (that may or may not be approved for food use) and nicotine: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4110871/
    But people around are usually more concerned with vapor itself. "Exhaled vapor consists of nicotine and some other particles, primarily consisting of flavors, aroma transporters, glycerin and propylene glycol" - wiki
    At the same time, no health risk is attributed to passive exposure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

E cigs to smokers are like soothers to babies.

Sam Kade wrote: »

Are you saying this as a smoker or as a baby?

Well, I have some idea about ingredients. The liquid used mainly consists of propylene glycol, glycerol, distilled water, flavorings (that may or may not be approved for food use) and nicotine: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4110871/
    But people around are usually more concerned with vapor itself. "Exhaled vapor consists of nicotine and some other particles, primarily consisting of flavors, aroma transporters, glycerin and propylene glycol" - wiki
    At the same time, no health risk is attributed to passive exposure.

cheers handy to know although I doubt I would have the patience to explain this to random strangers.

Sam Kade wrote: »

You outta go back to bailing hay on dady's farm and come back to us when you feel like being an adult.

I've encountered a lot of people who just don't like e-cigarettes and are only interested in confirming their own bias by reading up abstracts of meaningless 'studies' and daily mail sensationalist headlines. When you counter their points with fact their eyes tend to glaze over and they look for something else to get upset about.

These types are easy to spot and I don't even waste my time defending myself to them anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

I've encountered a lot of people who just don't like e-cigarettes and are only interested in confirming their own bias by reading up abstracts of meaningless 'studies' and daily mail sensationalist headlines. When you counter their points with fact their eyes tend to glaze over and they look for something else to get upset about.

These types are easy to spot and I don't even waste my time defending myself to them anymore.

So true.

Best I've heard is an absolute plank in the local saying how someone he knew "tried them for a day and I got popcorn throat".

I'm utterly convinced he read it in the Daily Mail and could even get that bit right :D

Trond wrote: »
    So true.

Best I've heard is an absolute plank in the local saying how someone he knew "tried them for a day and I got popcorn throat".

I'm utterly convinced he read it in the Daily Mail and could even get that bit right :D

Cotton mouth? yeah I do find I have to drink more water but I see that as a bonus more then con/ side effect really.

I've heard people say "I tried em for a week blew my lungs doc said was better off going cold turkey" while horsing down a box of bensons... yeah that isnt hypocritical at all. Although when they first came on the scene (cheap e-pens and cartomizers) I was one of those guys who thought "Their crap and horrible what's the point" but man do i appreciate the hell out of the tech we have today. Glad I'am not living in the US cos after August 8th that's what those poor suckers are stuck with :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

As a recent convert to vaping myself, i'm interested to know how everyone here is so absolutely certain that their are no negative health effects.

I smoked 30 a day for the last 20 years and my chest is in bits but it's never been as bad as since i took up vaping.

So please, is there irrefutable proof that vaping is harmless and has anyone else noticed a negative effect on their lungs.

Personally, I don't think any of us can be really certain until, we, the guinea pigs, have finished our live experiment and, as with smoking, that will take decades.

• Advertisement

Swanner wrote: »
    As a recent convert to vaping myself, i'm interested to know how everyone here is so absolutely certain that their are no negative health effects.

When did anyone say with certainty that there are no negative health effects?

Most people agree that vaping is probably not harmless but much safer than smoking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

When did anyone say with certainty that there are no negative health effects?

Most people agree that vaping is probably not harmless but much safer than smoking.

If anyone ever asks me about it i always say its healthier than smoking.

With regards to your lungs hurting it could be any number of factors, the strength of the juice, the setup you are vaping with, how long you've been vaping. its endless really.

I did notice I was hocking up alot of phlegm and sputum (look sortof the same but fulfill different roles in the lungs nose and throat) for the first two weeks but after that passed i was able move further and faster while feeling less breathlessness. I was at a point (on tobacco) where going up the stairs had me panting and for 25yr old who weighs ~60Kgs that was a hell of a wake up call.

Yes there are unknowns and there are even known side effects for example PG metabolises either as or in (can't remember which) lactic acid if your over doing it or have an intolerance (not allergy thats a different thing entirely) you may feel cramps in the calf or thigh muscles.

VG metabolises as glucose if I'am not mistaken and this can lead to dehydration which may have you taking more bathroom trips then normal.

now I havent had any problem with PG personally what I've mention is purely from others accounts across a multitude of forums and youtube video's but as a cloud chaser I use high VG liquids, typically 80%, and I have been going to the toilet more and finding I get very thirsty but so long as I have glass or bottle of water nearby I'am good it actually balances out.

I definitely have more energy and i find my mental state is a lot sharper and if there is really bad long term effects then they haven't reared their ugly heads yet as GrimmGreen for example has been on youtube since 2009 and from what i can tell from his vlogs and reviews he hasn't had any real complaints other then feeling dehydrated.

but this is all subjective and no matter what it is that you want to do weather its inhaling, imbibing, or eating theres always risks and there's always studies by experts that show for and against and some people are always going to react differently to different things. So far my reaction has been par for the course in my style of vaping and I check in with my GP at least once a month and so far zero problems infact my doctor did say that I have a great improvement across the board and their is no signs of anything developing silently in the background BUT would still prefer I was off nicotine altogether and maybe I will get there someday :). So I'am happy to keep vaping as long as I need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Ok fair enough...

I had the (obviously incorrect) impression from reading the thread that anyone questioning the safety of vaping was inherently wrong.

My own doc also agrees that it's less harmful then smoking. My lungs are telling me different though.

Cheers all..

Ok fair enough...

I had the (obviously incorrect) impression from reading the thread that anyone questioning the safety of vaping was inherently wrong.

My own doc also agrees that it's less harmful then smoking. My lungs are telling me different though.

Cheers all..

well my lungs felt horrible too in fact when I started I still had to have a fag in the morning because if I went straight for the vape it would have me heaving for a bit and that would agitate my chest but one morning I just picked it up without thinking and only realising on the exhale there was no cough or a slight itch, probably not the right word but meh, to do so maybe its just your chest adjusting.

I was about 20+ a day and the guy in the shop said "oh your definitely the 24mg nic type" boy was so wrong dropped to 12mg and still had to adjust but had less discomfort now I go between 6mg and 3mg depending on what I am using and I am happy out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

My lungs were really bad as if I had emphysema,I kept the whole household awake with the noise of my breathing,couldn't walk more than 50 feet,breathless all the time.
    I discovered vaping from a biker friend in Germany in 2009 & she supplied me with e-cigs,I'm still vaping today,my chest & lungs cleared up after 4 weeks of vaping while using 24mg & 36mg,I still vape 24mg but mostly direct lung vaping at 6mg now.
    I have never been ill while vaping the past 7 years,vaping saved my life...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

Ok fair enough...

Cheers all..

Also, I don't know how long you are off the cigarettes, but your body goes through a process of getting rid of all the gunk built up in the lungs from years of smoking when you quit smoking.

I used to smoke 30 b+h a day for a long long time. When I quit and started vaping my body was in a state of shock missing it's usual regime of tar and other nasty products of the tobacco combustion process. I had the worst flu for over a month. It wasn't the vaping though, merely the body's attempt to readjust and cleanse.

Nobody says vaping is harmless but it is a lot less harmful than smoking.
    Best of luck :)

Any damage to your lungs will have been caused by smoking for years, and what you're feeling is most likely your lungs trying to repair. it's possible that vaping is just irritating them. You could try not vaping for a bit, see if anything improves, but I bet your lungs are going to go through this healing process regardless.

I'm happy enough that what I'm inhaling is 95% safer than cig-smoke. I make my own juices so I'm in control of what goes in there. The only bad thing in the mix is nicotine, and to me it's no worse than being on nicorette patches. Do I think they are 100% safe? no, I would never encourage someone who never smoked to vape! That would be just dumb and irresponsible. When I see a vaper, I see an ex-smoker trying to get healthier.

The only bad thing in the mix is nicotine

I'd disagree with you there...nicotine is more than likely the least harmful element.

The long term effects of inhaling nicotine are well known and its regarded as being the area of least concern when looking at the damage that smoking does. It isn't a carcinogen and as long as you're not pregnant or sub-ohming 72mg there isn't any cause for worry.

We have no data with regard to the long term effects of inhaling diketones, the effects of dry burning coils and inhaling sucrose that caramelises and can release dangerous compounds.

Sure we make our own juice but that doesn't completely protect us from the potential risks of the above...many concentrates contain sweeteners etc.

With vaping i think we're all taking a calculated risk to some extent but like you say...all the evidence points to it being way safer than smokes.

• Advertisement

I said I'm happy enough - it's up to individuals to do their own research where concerned - the info is out there.

I'm happy knowing it's 95% safer than smoking 4000 god-knows-what in cig's - including many more diketones than any e-liquid ...

"Diacetyl is safe for use in food and is present in cigarettes at a level somewhere between 10 and 100 times that found in any vapour product to date. However, if the ecig industry can achieve similar flavours without Diketones, it seems sensible to do so as a precaution."

http://vapable.com/about-diketones-diacetyl-acetyl-propionyl-and-acetoin/

I have very few flavourings that contain diketones as is.

Advertisement