Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Towing horsebox, which licence?

• 23-06-2016 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering am i covered to tow an empty horsebox on the full B license ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

pudzey101 wrote: »

Most likely not, but unless you tell us exact vehicle plated d.g.v.w, its towing capacity and plated trailer d.g.v.w, we won't be able to answee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

sorry didnt know the vehicle weight mattered i taught it was trailer weight :) It be a toyota dyna i think it weights 3000-3200 kg :D trailer is between 1500 and 1700 kg roughly :) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

No you won't.

Firstly it matters not if the trailer is empty or not. Liscence weights are done on DGVW, design weight not actual weight.
    on your b you can drive a combination DGVW of 3500kg for vehicle and trailer together.
    You'll be well in excess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

A 3 tonne dyna and a trailer weight 1.5 tonnes empty lol.

@ Brian any link to your post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

stupid ****** question again tho ... but what if im stopped ? whats the worst that can happen :) ? can also get a 2.0 tdci mondeo which should be way less weight than a dyna :D

Stopped by whom?

pudzey101 wrote: »

All the info you need can be found here: https://www.ndls.ie/licence-categories.html

All the info you need can be found here: https://www.ndls.ie/licence-categories.html

Is that link agreeing with the law?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yes.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    Yes.

Link?

Link?

It's already been linked!

Del2005 wrote: »
    It's already been linked!

That link won't hold water in court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 r65

OP, I think you're mistaken. The figures that a quick Google throws up is that a Dyna weights about 2250 kg. Gross design weigh is 3500kg ( ie. Loaded weight) They seem to be designed to pull a mad of 2200 kg. So depends on the weight of your horsebox.Get it weighted or ask manufacturer.
    If the Dyna is 2250kg and the box is 750kg, you can pull 500kg of horse on a car licence.

r65 wrote: »
    OP, I think you're mistaken. The figures that a quick Google throws up is that a Dyna weights about 2250 kg. Gross design weigh is 3500kg ( ie. Loaded weight) They seem to be designed to pull a mad of 2200 kg. So depends on the weight of your horsebox.Get it weighted or ask manufacturer.
    If the Dyna is 2250kg and the box is 750kg, you can pull 500kg of horse on a car licence.

Let's believe Google.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 r65

Sideways, do you actually have any knowledge of the subject, or just repeat "link" parrot-like?

I have knowledge, if you don't win this are you going to open another account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A dyna 100 weighs under 1700kg IIRC

Most know that.

They clearly don't.

Anyway, back to the actual question.
    Vehicles (other than motorcycles, mopeds, work vehicles or land tractors) having a MAM1 not exceeding 3,500 kg, designed and constructed for the carriage of no more than eight passengers in addition to the driver.

The vehicle may tow a trailer (a) where the MAM of the trailer is not greater than 750 kg or (b) where the MAM of the trailer exceeds 750kg the combined MAM of the towing vehicle and the trailer is not greater than 3,500 kg.

Quadricycles (other than those covered by AM) are also covered by this category.

Towing capacity of a Dyna is 2000kg. - MAM of a horse box could easily be 2500kg
    GVW of the smallest Dyna would be 3000kg

That's a no so.

• Advertisement

I'm shocked at just how often this question comes up and how little people know on the subject, I suspect people are in pure denial because it doesn't suit their adjenda.

The legislation is based on DGVW, the designed max loaded weight of both the vehicle and the trailer.

Thinking you get away because your towing a half loaded trailer is just head in the sand stuff.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Vehicle%20Std%20Leg/Road%20Safety%20Advice%20for%20Drawing%20Light%20Trailers%20A5%20booklet%20Amends%209-12-15%20%20%20%20.pdf

Here's an RSA leaflet that explains it well.

Here's a paragraph from this document.

As a general rule, a category B licence would not entitle the holder to tow a horsebox or a livestock trailer because the DGCW would be more than 3500kg.
    Take an example of a drawing vehicle with a MAM of 2010kg and a DGCW of 3680kg - that is a towing capacity of 1670kg. A category B licence would be suf cient to drive this vehicle towing a trailer with a maximum plated MAM of 1490kg as, even though the trailer’s MAM is more than 750kg, the combined MAM of the vehicle and trailer combination (2010kg + 1490kg) is not more than 3500kg.
    However, if you want to fully use this vehicle’s towing capacity of 1670kg (operate at a DGCW of 3680kg) a BE licence is required.
    Note: A person must hold a category B driving licence before being eligible to apply for a category BE learner permit (explained below).

It IS the Law. New rules came into affect last year. They were warnings on Radio, TV and Liveline for people to get their licence sorted, a sort of amnesty, or they would have to start at scratch and get a learner permit and take lessons and take a test in order to tow a trailer bigger than a small dog box type trailer.

It IS the Law. New rules came into affect last year. They were warnings on Radio, TV and Liveline for people to get their licence sorted, a sort of amnesty, or they would have to start at scratch and get a learner permit and take lessons and take a test in order to tow a trailer bigger than a small dog box type trailer.

That dog box comment is wrong.
    I tow an 8meter long 4 berth caravan legally on my B liscence.
    My car has DGVW of 2010kgs, caravan DGVW 1450kgs, combined DGVW 3460kgs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

What new rules?
    The law making a limit of sum of dgvw of drawing car and trailer of 3500kg was in probably for more than 30 years. Nothing new with it.
    Only change which I think occurred around 2013 was the abolition of extra requirement for trailer dgvw to be not greater than towing vehicle unladen weight. Removing that actually allowed more cases to be suitable for b licence only without a need to have be

That link won't hold water in court.

Same information as in the Statute Book but easier read on the NDLS site

Don't even bother....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Jesus wept. The misinformation here just gets worse...........
    Joe Duffy is now a public information conduit ?:confused:

THERE WAS AN AMNESTY LAST YEAR ?????
    To allow people obtain an EB Licence without doing a Test ?????
    Oh no there wasn't .:rolleyes:

Is "a small dog box type trailer" a description from the relevant statute ?:confused:

I wouldn't take advice from a statue anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I wouldn't take advice from a statue anyway.

Sure they are usually covered in sh1t.

We have a comedian lads.

Advertisement