Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2.0 passat turbo - dentist drill noise

• 23-06-2016 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi

My 2l 2010 Passat is making a dentist drill noise from the turbo, whenever I accelerate.

The turbo is actually working ok, same power as always. But turbo was damaged when the oil pump went, which has now been fixed.

Can I keep driving with the noise turbo, until it stops working, or do I risk damaging my engine completely?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

It might be just a split pipe or leaking intercooler, don't assume the worst yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sounds like maybe a split or lose breather pipe at a guess but you'd want to have it looked as soon as possible in the event it turns out to be something more serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Drilling noise is a classic "turbo gone" sound :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭tcow

Thanks lads.

Car has the same power as it ever had.

Goin gettin it fixed, but it will b 2 weeks before garage can do it. And I need the car .

I'm hoping it will keep goin for the 2 weeks. Just wondering if it does go completely during that time, can it damage my engine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

tcow wrote: »
    .......... Just wondering if it does go completely during that time, can it damage my engine?

yip, it could start sucking in engine oil and suffer runaway :

leads to this and more :

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »
    yip, it could start sucking in engine oil and suffer runaway :

leads to this and more :

Great. What would be the chances of that? And I take it that's d end of engine?

Great. What would be the chances of that? And I take it that's d end of engine?

For spite it'd probably do it on the last day as you're driving to the garage - if you don't stall it / choke it off in time it'll be scrap

Turning off the key won't do anything as it's running off its own oil

Or maybe it might suck in bits of the turbo blades - not good either

Jesus :eek:

Jesus :eek:

yip

well i chanced it thismorn anway - no major clouds behind me yet!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement