Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell laptop & O2 / 3 Hotshot USB Modem - Timeout

Options
  • 23-06-2016 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭

Hi, I use a 3 USB dongle that I have had for around 3 years now. The trouble is over the last 6 months is that the internet connection times out every say 20 - 30 minutes and then I have to re-boot my Dell Inspiron laptop.
    However the dongle remains connected when this occurs - as I have a Tablet which stays connected by Wi-Fi. Very annoying!

So the trouble seems to be with my laptop and how it connects via the USB to the dongle (the laptop is wireless, which wireless capability doesn't work with any devices (printers)...but that's another story)!.
    I have tried other USB ports on the laptop, but they don't connect at all to dongle!

I am happy to keep using laptop via USB, if it only remained connected...Any ideas what is the problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Maybe uninstall the software that came with it - can't remember the name offhand.....HiLink or Mobile Partner. Then when you plug the dongle into a different USB port it will reinstall it.

What model of dongle is it by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

FanadMan wrote: »
    Maybe uninstall the software that came with it - can't remember the name offhand.....HiLink or Mobile Partner. Then when you plug the dongle into a different USB port it will reinstall it.

What model of dongle is it by the way?

Hi, no software came with it. there is just a web based 'O2 Hotshot' shortcut on the desktop for looking at usage, texts etc. It is the Huawei E586 dongle.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭human 19

After 3 years, you are probably better off getting a new dongle anyway. Even if there is physically nothing wrong with it, a newer version which is undoubtably available could may well improve your speeds.
    I found that out myself a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Hi, no software came with it. there is just a web based 'O2 Hotshot' shortcut on the desktop for looking at usage, texts etc. It is the Huawei E586 dongle.

Sorry - thought you meant one of the old style USB dongles that you have to plug in directly to the USB port.....they normally installed software that was a PITA.

What model laptop and operating system do you have? Can you connect it to anything wireless like your phone as a hotspot? Maybe update the wifi drivers and you could connect that way rather than USB.

Have you tried deleting and reinstalling the USB port drivers in Device Manager? This might fix the problem connecting the device to different ports.

There a quite a few things that could be wrong with this but is quite difficult to diagnose without going through so many steps :o

Advertisement