Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would that be a bargain for road bike

Options
  • 24-06-2016 4:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭

From Halfords:

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/carrera-zelos-road-bike-2015

Is that good price for bike like that (Spec in a link), or is it just regular price?

I'm more of a mountain biker, and have a nice full-suspension MTB, but I was thinking about getting something for occasional road trips - probably up to 30km at a time - no more - I'm not really fit.
    Would that bike do or can you get better for similar price elsewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

For 14 speed claris, aluminium frame and steel fork, I think 3 to 400 is what you would expect to pay. I would contend that that bike was never and would never be 550 euro.

It's quite a basic, but perfectly functional bike is what I would say. If you know mountain bikes, then probably best to take a look at 350 euro mountain bikes and that should give you a good idea as to where the bike would be placed in the grand scheme of things in terms of overall suitability and component quality etc. If you spent more, you could get more, but that's always the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

CiniO wrote: »
    From Halfords:

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/carrera-zelos-road-bike-2015

Is that good price for bike like that (Spec in a link), or is it just regular price?

I'm more of a mountain biker, and have a nice full-suspension MTB, but I was thinking about getting something for occasional road trips - probably up to 30km at a time - no more - I'm not really fit.
    Would that bike do or can you get better for similar price elsewhere?

in my opinion that is not much of a bargain. I think you would pick up a bike of similar spec in any local bike shop for that price, or even lower if you ask for something off.

I think if you are willing to spend around €800-1200 that is where you might see some good valued offerings in terms of bikes etc from Halfords (the Boardman range).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

CiniO wrote: »

For 30k fine, but 30k becomes 60k becomes 100k etc... and the bike will probably be a bit of a pain at that point. For €350, I'd personally be looking for a 2nd hand road bike in good nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

I have that bike for 2 years and I've done many 100+ km rides on it. It's grand, gets the job done despite being limited in terms of gears. I found it was quite reliable and for the money you pay it's a great bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭NLC1072

I don't know if you have purchased the bike yet but;

Look at the Boardman Road Sport 2014 and perhaps get one of those?

At 404.49 they're a much better bike for not that much more money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I've been down this road and I would rather have a new budget bike with warranty then a used bike for the same money (circa 300€).

For this money though its worth mentioning btwin if you are happy to buy online.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭NLC1072

Don't know if anybody is interested, Halfords Waterford have a full carbon 105/tiagra racing bike for sale for 729

happy bike shopping!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

This may be a better buy
    http://www.decathlon.ie/triban-3-uk-en-sx8274036-SX8274036.html

And it's less than 200 euro with carbon forks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

ted1 wrote: »
    This may be a better buy
    http://www.decathlon.ie/triban-3-uk-en-sx8274036-SX8274036.html

And it's less than 200 euro with carbon forks

Incredible value for what is probably a decent commuter/starter bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

It looks like indeed, but only 48cm frame size left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The Carrera bikes are generally pretty good.

A lot of people here recommend a 2nd hand bike but I'd be careful unless you knew the person or know a good bit about bikes. If the bike turns out to have a fault you have no warranty as someone above said.

The above bike for that price is plenty good if you will do a limited amount of cycling. Plus if you crash it it will stand upto the hit better than a carbon bike might.

If you really get into road cycling you can always buy a better bike plus it is always handy to have an extra bike around the house in case a mate ever calls and you can go for a spin together.

I have a 14 speed on mine and it is fine. Just check the gear ratios.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

A lot of people here recommend a 2nd hand bike but I'd be careful unless you knew the person or know a good bit about bikes. If the bike turns out to have a fault you have no warranty as someone above said.

I suppose it comes down to whether or not you like mucking about with bikes as well as riding them, and fancy doing your own upgrades at some point in the future. Personally, I really enjoyed having the 2nd hand road bike for this reason, and while I didn't know much starting out, I learned a fair bit on a bike that I wasn't too precious about. In terms of economy, you possibly spend more going down this route but it is very satisfying, and also useful having a bit of service and repair knowledge if you go on long solo spins.

If you don't like mucking about with bikes, 2nd hand is probably not such a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The Carrera bikes are generally pretty good.

yes they are, i have the TDF and its fabulous..no issues with it after several sportives

Advertisement