Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK Votes to leave EU

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

I believe the 2017 EU Asia Pacific trade agreement had a lot to do with this. It effectively give Asia, China and Malaysia fee trade into the EU with no taxes. There are a number of large MNC's in Ireland relocating to Asia because of this. This was spear headed by Germany so they could unload 500,000 cars into Asia that are being returned to VW from the US.

Germany first, Fcuk the rest of us and the impact on our workforce. This Brexit now will make that trade agreement null and void and will protect their Manufacturing jobs in the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

https://twitter.com/KTHopkins/status/746179763241385984

Look at some of the comments:

@KTHopkins The pound looks like ****, Katie. Thanks for everything.

@KTHopkins zero to ****ed in the blink of an eye. Goodbye savings, pensions, hopes of home ownership. Spam for dinner.

@KTHopkins I would rather stand on a pile of wasps than on this side of history with you.

@KTHopkins Congratulations that the pound has already dropped to a 30 year low. Your economy will be blooming thanks to #Brexit

@KTHopkins £120bn wiped off our companies and the £ is falling. Xenophobes celebrating. Far right side of history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Looking through that Twitter account, I'm going to stick with a degree of denseness on her part.

Whatever about her, the voter who voted leave because he thought remain would win and is now concerned that his vote counted and they have to leave is an entirely different level of denseness.

I cannot even comprehend that level of ignorance and stupidity.

HensVassal wrote: »
    Yup, the Brits can now trade to their heart's content with Russia without having to deal with the bull**** EU that follows Washington's line.
    Oh aye, the US is much close to the EU than they are to the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

European Council leader Donald Tusk says "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger".

Thank you, Donald, I'm going to have Kelly Clarkson stuck in my head all day.

:o

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

The turkeys have voted for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Phoebas wrote: »
    Sterling has plummeted against every currency.

I presume we are talking from an irish\€€ view point and it hasn't plummeted against the euro.

brevity wrote: »
    Whatever about her, the voter who voted leave because he thought remain would win and is now concerned that his vote counted and they have to leave is an entirely different level of denseness.

Protest votes. This is why you should reconsider it in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Fair point, it's a difference plain of stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Fascinating to watch this unravel, the triumphalism, the hysteria, the "I told you so" the political point scoring

its all a big circus, self deluded at its own importance and worth.

Sad to see the European experiment fail to be convincing enough to the British public, the original idea was a good one, pity it became such an unmanageable bureaucratic monster with bold ambitions beyond its remit
    Sad to see Cameron go, not because I like him, but he has demonstrated more courage in his convictions on this issue than at any other time, exactly what Britain needs from this point on, albeit in the opposite direction

Give a day or so for the media frenzy to die a bit, the panic in the market to steady, settle and begin to climb again and Im pretty optimistic about the economic growth that can occur

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

my friend wrote: »
    You're clearly wound up, my joke went over your head ... Kids these days ....

Well, i'd lie if I claimed that my husband's situation doesn't worry me. I hope that the negotiations between Britain and the EU will come to pretty much the same terms that Norway and Switzerland have, in which case he won't have any problems. But otherwise, he may well face some nasty difficulties down the road.

And yes, it frustrates me to know his own parents contributed to that. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Some people are really not going to be very happy with Nigel Farage after this...

Nigel Farage live on GMB following #Brexit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

So this is what we are up against

https://twitter.com/EdwardTHardy/status/746260079645720576

Along with the usual disgruntle types who want to stick it to the man and have a perverse sense of 'bring on the destruction' as long as I have a cheap pint tomorrow but I can't see beyond my nose nor have the capacity to imagine the consequence

Calling them stupid is very mild ...they are beyond stupid

But people get the governments they deserve ...so bring on Farage and Boris who between them have never uttered a word of sincerity in their entire lives and care nothing except for their own advancement

Shenshen wrote: »
    Well, i'd lie if I claimed that my husband's situation doesn't worry me. I hope that the negotiations between Britain and the EU will come to pretty much the same terms that Norway and Switzerland have, in which case he won't have any problems.

Maybe the EU will stick it's fingers up at Britain in the same way that Britain have done to the EU.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Germany first, Fcuk the rest of us
    I'd agree here, even though I am pro EU, well more pro EC. Germany's policies all too often need to be told to fcuk off. Ditto for the polices of unelected civil servants in Brussels.

As for Brexit, little will change in the short term in practical terms anyway. It'll take years to untwist from the EU and the British MP's(majority in favour of remaining) will likely make the "exit" as little an actual exit as possible. They already kept their currency, so no real issue there(oh and BTW folks, a low sterling is good for exports. Y'know, the way a country makes money?). They'll negotiate border controls and you can be sure the Irish/UK borders will be lax as feck. Good for both sides. Trade agreements will be readied up and I'll bet they'll mostly be carbon copies of existing ones, withs some horse trading thrown in.

Maybe it's just me, but I see this Brexit vote as a pretty empty thing in the longterm. The Brits - well, the English - have wanted to keep Europe at arms length, this is just an extra push and little else. Actually that could cause internal dissent. The Scots wanted to stay, as did the Northern Irish. I could see the Scots looking for another independence vote. If England stayed out, but Scotland stayed in the EU, that would be a major win for the Scots.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Got paid today and have every intention of going nuts on amazon. Unfortunately, too many items won't ship to Ireland...

MPFGLB wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/bambula/status/746270240204431360

So this is what we are up against

Along with the usual disgruntle types who want to stick it to the man and have a perverse sense of 'bring on the destruction' as long as I have a cheap pint tomorrow but I can't see beyond my nose nor have the capacity to imagine the consequence

Calling them stupid is very mild ...they are beyond stupid

But people get the governments they deserve ...so bring on Farage and Boris who between them have never utter a word of sincerity in their entire lives and care nothing except for their own advanatge

Quick question - now that Britain is actually leaving the EU, have UKIP not completed the only thing justifying the existence?
    Quo vadis?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

It's not nothing, stop being so naive. there will be boarder controls setup. Thats not nothing. It has serious implications.....

Boarder towns will suffer immensely, people will cross over the boarder to purchase goods at a cheaper rate, boarder towns will suffer.

Its a horrible situation!

Why will they suffer immensely? What are you yammering about?
    People have always crossed the border to purchase goods at a cheaper rate because of the FUCKING EXCHANGE RATE.

You think they're gonna set up a damn Checkpoint Charlie in Clones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Got paid today and have every intention of going nuts on amazon. Unfortunately, too many items won't ship to Ireland...

Move to UK, oh wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

Instead of being worried, I see this as the van guard of a movement across Europe. There will be referendums in other countries over the coming months and few years re membership of EU. The political climate is heading that way (be it left wing or right wing...all are questioning...so no labels). It may happen that other countries vote out. Sweden? Netherlands? Spain? France itself?
    In this scenario we are looking at a possibility for a clean sweep, a complete re-evaluation of what 'Europe'' is all about. As a non-racist, left-leaning and somewhat idealistic person I look forward to this serious examination of the fundamentals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Jesus the amount of intolerance of the lefties here. If it is so obvious that remain was the better side why couldn't they convey that to the many moderate right wingers in the UK? Fair enough there's a far right element that can't be convinced, same as the the far left but the moderate rights are there for the taking. Instead the campaign was to paint them as racists who fear immigrants. Considering the 'remain' side are like soooo much more intelligent surely they should have seen this is an idiotic way to get your point of view across? And now they complain about the result. It's up to you to campaign properly, the 'leave' side did it better.

Whether it's good or bad, nobody really knows. The U.K. isn't going to turn to anarchy overnight though, left wing sensationalism(that right wingers are so often castrated for) doesn't help their cause at all.

Cool story bro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Shenshen wrote: »
    Put it this way - I'm pretty confident that my husband's parents voted leave.
    One of their sons is working in Ireland and may in the future have a bit of hassle getting work permits and the like.
    The other works for an international company which already announced it would relocate from the UK in the case of Brexit.

We spoke to them a while ago, the reason they wanted to leave the UK was because "all the nurses in hospitals are Pakis, and all the people in Morrisons are from Poland. They shouldn''t be here."

But of course your in-laws said "we are not racist."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Use Parcel Motel.

Also it's worth noting that the drop in Sterling might not come through on credit cards yet. The Visa website (and Amazon) still have the old conversion rate.

To be safe anyway make sure to pay in GBP and not Euro so you at least get the currency conversion at your bank level and not by Amazon.

NEWSFLASH! Plague of Locusts seen over London Skyline heading for Newcastle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Lol, and some people were arguing that all those who voted to leave weren't stupid, and saying that people didn't vote just to give the finger to the EU with no other logical reason as to why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hxfhxf

Anyone know what will happen to Irish living in the UK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Some people are really not going to be very happy with Nigel Farage after this...

Nigel Farage live on GMB following #Brexit

Don't care. If they don’t like it and it gets bad enough he can be removed from whatever position he ends up in from here.

If that odious horror, Jean-Claude Juncker said it?
    There would be nothing anyone could do about it.
    That automatically makes the exit better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Democracy 1 EU 0

The one time I agree with that spanner Paul Murphy was this morning when he asked how come the EU gets a kicking almost everytime it is subject of referendum.

Of course they could circumvent the French and Dutch voters by bringing in the constitution through a treaty that only the Irish had to vote on.
    That backfired and they then forced the Irish to rerun the referendum.

Looking at the breakdown of the results, it looks as if lots of English (note I said English) working class areas voted leave.
    One of the big reasons may be the influx of Eastern European migrants that were seen "to be taking their jobs", but IMHO another large reason may be their disenchantment with politics, and it's isn't necessarily Brussels, Strasbourg or Berlin we are talking about.

Large chunks of what was formerly the industrial heartland of the UK have been left to fester ever since the 70s and most especially since Thatcher.
    I think these people have been left behind and hark back for the glory days.
    I do think the out campaign fed into this.

There are a lot of minuses to this result.
    It is going to have major effects on the Irish indigenous agriculture industry and like it not that is one of our only true homegrown industries.
    It will have the effect that we now do not have an ally in Brussels.
    Yes the UK was more a friend to us than any of the other continental Berlin lickspittles.
    It will have major effects on the UK and possibly result in it's breakup as a union.

The big plus to me is that the EU, it's unaccountable bureaucrats and it's federalist intentions have taking a kicking.

I hark back to the days when the EU/EEC meant free trade and movement of people, now a dictatorial regime run at the behest of Berlin and Frankfurt.
    The first indications of this new EU were the threats regarding Lisbon treaty.
    Then came the financial crisis and yet more bullying.
    The latest very obvious incarnation of this has been the migrant (the refugees are the ones stuck in the camps in the Middle East) crisis where anyone, like for instance Viktor Orban, that stood against the will of the EU (or in other words Frau Merkel) was attacked and lambasted by the unelected EU bureaucrats and fawning lickspittle politicians of various EU statelets.

I am not surprised though because even back to the ideas of the intellectual founders of the EEC/EU project, it was always obvious that the goal of the EEC/EU was to reach a stage were the will of the people was to be subservient to some intellectual bureaucrats who of course would know better.

The founding fathers did not want the citizens of Europe ever again voting in the types of people who brought wholesale destruction to Europe.
    But what we have gotten of late is just another form of dictatorship, another Reich of sorts.

I am not allowed discuss …

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd agree here, even though I am pro EU, well more pro EC. Germany's policies all too often need to be told to fcuk off. Ditto for the polices of unelected civil servants in Brussels.

As for Brexit, little will change in the short term in practical terms anyway. It'll take years to untwist from the EU and the British MP's(majority in favour of remaining) will likely make the "exit" as little an actual exit as possible. They already kept their currency, so no real issue there(oh and BTW folks, a low sterling is good for exports. Y'know, the way a country makes money?). They'll negotiate border controls and you can be sure the Irish/UK borders will be lax as feck. Good for both sides. Trade agreements will be readied up and I'll bet they'll mostly be carbon copies of existing ones, withs some horse trading thrown in.

Maybe it's just me, but I see this Brexit vote as a pretty empty thing in the longterm. The Brits - well, the English - have wanted to keep Europe at arms length, this is just an extra push and little else. Actually that could cause internal dissent. The Scots wanted to stay, as did the Northern Irish. I could see the Scots looking for another independence vote. If England stayed out, but Scotland stayed in the EU, that would be a major win for the Scots.

Half agree, half disagree. A weak pound is definitely good for exports, but bad for imports. Britain imports a lot, so cost of living will rise, wages will rise and within a year or two that could well balance out the advantage of the weaker currency.
    Add to that that 50% of their exports go to the Euro zone, and the Euro's value will drop significantly along with the pound, there's little gained there.

In the long run, I do think it's better for both sides. Britain has for as long as I've been following what's happening politically for the EU always been little more then a roadblock. Endless demands, negotiations, special treatment, unwillingness to cooperate on absolutely anything for fear of being seen as pro-EU back home... Britain leaving might very well unblock a lot of things in Brussels and allow the EU to function more efficiently and responsibly to all members.

I'm really curious what's going to happen regarding the border with Northern Ireland, though, and I do expect the SNP pushing hell for leather for another referendum - next month, if they can get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

BBDBB wrote: »
    NEWSFLASH! Plague of Locusts seen over London Skyline heading for Newcastle

R33 or R34? Hardly an R35...

hxfhxf wrote:

Ah wouldn't worry about it yet, long way to go in this. I'm sure some agreement will be made. Many Irish over there

As for Brexit, little will change in the short term in practical terms anyway. It'll take years to untwist from the EU and the British MP's(majority in favour of remaining) will likely make the "exit" as little an actual exit as possible.
    2 years max is what has been stated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Lol, and some people were arguing that all those who voted to leave weren't stupid?

It's this line of thinking that handed the win to brexit. "Anyone who disagrees is an idiot/racist/a murderer".

The arrogance...

• Advertisement

HensVassal wrote: »
    Why will they suffer immensely? What are you yammering about?
    People have always crossed the border to purchase goods at a cheaper rate because of the FUCKING EXCHANGE RATE.

You think they're gonna set up a damn Checkpoint Charlie in Clones?

Isn't that what they were shouting about? Controlling their borders again?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

hxfhxf wrote: »

Nothing. Our common movement/right-to-work goes back way before the EU and will continue. Besides there's too many of them in Ireland, and too many of us over there for any kind of "deportation" stuff to come up.

Nothing. Irish and British people have been free to live in each other's country for many hundreds of years. Nothing to do with the EU. Irish citizens in the UK are not considered foreigners and vice-versa.

Yes, prison ships and deported by next Friday.
    Pack one suitcase per person
    Everyone to be searched on leaving for items of silverware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

Smash don't give that ugly gobby wench air time. She's a media prostitute, and I can't imagine Leave voters agree with her on much else. Jesus.. I absolutely dispise her.

• Advertisement

John "everybody speaks English now" Bruton is talking on Seán O'Rourke's show this minute and he's as ideologically blinkered on this issue as he is on the North. Next up, his protégé Brian Hayes. RTÉ is not exactly spreading the net widely here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

You'll have to go under cover...change your accent , wear no arran ganseys , absolutley no singing in pubs , talking about the GAA or ever saying "what harm anway" or such phrases

It wll be hell but you'll learn to adapt in time :D

Estrellita wrote: »
    Smash don't give that ugly gobby wench air time. She's a media prostitue, and I can't imagine Leave voters agree with her on much else. Jesus.. I absolutely dispise her.

Oh I hate her. She's a complete and utter tool

Just a pity it's bad for imports but it's not like they import anything important like food or cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

The Dutch and French were watching this very carefully, a Dutch friend working here told me that their is talk of them following the British out if the voted to get out. It seems Germany pretty much own the place and their policies in the EU are for their economy and no one else.

The UK have decided to protect themselves, I wonder what punishment the Germans have in store for the UK to stop others following their exit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Its dead Jim

Saipanne wrote: »
    It's this line of thinking that handed the win to brexit. "Anyone who disagrees is an idiot/racist/a murderer".

The arrogance...

If a person voted a certain way because of that then it doesnt help disprove that they are an idiot.

I think we should bring out the nukes just for a laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

If a person voted a certain way because of that then it doesnt help disprove that they are an idiot.

Read the post I responded to before making a post, in future.

Thank you.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I think we should bring out the nukes just for a laugh
    Might as well take the opportunity to seize Norwegian oil fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

Nothing. Our common movement/right-to-work goes back way before the EU and will continue. Besides there's too many of them in Ireland, and too many of us over there for any kind of "deportation" stuff to come up.

Indeed, all the scaremongering that was perpetrated by the remain side and our own government and comentariat enraged me given that it wilfully ignored the fact that our border and common travel area is governed by bi-lateral agrements in the 1922 treaty and the Good Friday Agreement. None of which changes.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement