Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK Votes to leave EU

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Fair fcuks to them

EU and Ireland will have to accept the vote....people have spoken :)

Really didn't think they would!!
    But any word on the way Scotland voted (aswell as the North)

Be carefull.... remember what happened the last time Ireland voted no.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

LordSutch wrote: »
    Approximately half the people (of the UK) have spoken against Europe...

Hmm...if they've voted to leave they've voted to leave....no way around it:)

Massive decision which will affect Ireland more than any other country (bar maybe Scotland)

Hurts me to see Nigel farage...a complete and utter horrible person

Really hope Scotland votes to break away...the scare mongeribg involved to coerce them into staying was pure wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Farage has told ITV’s Good Morning Britain that he thought it was a mistake for the Vote Leave campaign to say that it could save £350m a week by leaving the EU and that the money could go to the NHS :pac:

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Such a massive upheaval and only half of the people wanted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

buried wrote: »
    Farage has told ITV’s Good Morning Britain that he thought it was a mistake for the Vote Leave campaign to say that it could save £350m a week by leaving the EU and that the money could go to the NHS :pac:

Like any politician he'll say whatever it takes to get the job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

buried wrote: »
    Fůcking scumbag admitted lying

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I have to admit, I woke up half an hour ago and I'm very surprised to hear that it's Leave - but then again, I'm sorta not.

This is the latest backlash against what has been an increasingly undemocratic and unrepresentative EU over the last few years, and how this has spilled over into individual member states with the rise of far-left and right parties in general elections.
    Ordinary people have been increasingly marginalised in favour of the interests of politicians and corporates, and issues like how the financial crisis in Greece and the "refugee" situation in the Med have been dealt with have not gone unnoticed with the EU (and most notably Germany) throwing its weight around to force policy on those States - policy which itself has been made up as it goes along regardless of any "rules".

I tip my hat sir!

You have just summed up exactly why the EU is a failed cocept.

The brits at the end of the day when push comes to shove are the only ones with a sack left.

Our pityful politicians are led around by merkel by the nose.

tigger123 wrote: »
    Why will the euro sink?

Losing the 2nd biggest economy in Europe is bound to have an affect?

If Britain comes out of this alright after a few years surely others could possibly want out too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

Gotta say I'm surprised. Went to bed hearing that Remain was looking likely to take it handily (excellent prediction there BBC) and woke to all this! Irish in the UK btw.

The saltiness of the Remain guys is something else. The people have spoken and ye didn't make yer case. Time to look ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

Massive decision which will affect Ireland more than any other country (bar maybe Scotland)

Not necessarily all bad. Charlie Flanagan was in the news during the week that he was liaising with london based banks about a move to Dublin in the event of brexit.

Hmm...if they've voted to leave they've voted to leave....no way around it:)

Hurts me to see Nigel farage...a complete and utter horrible person

Really hope Scotland votes to break away...the scare mongeribg involved to coerce them into staying was pure wrong

You may not like him.... but he spoke an awful lot of truth... just the PC brigade dont want to hear it.

Im not saying he didnt talk ****e as well.... but then there was a lot of that coming out of the remain camp as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

LordSutch wrote:
    Scotland, London, and Northern Ireland voted to stay within the EU.

There was a Tory minister on the BBC this morning who said Scotland would be nothing without England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

thomasj wrote: »
    Not necessarily all bad. Charlie Flanagan was in the news during the week that he was liaising with london based banks about a move to Dublin in the event of brexit.

And that shows exactly what is wrong with finanical institutations....

Except there is no one better than the brits for chaning stuff like that.... the bank leaves and everyone moves their money out.. no money no bank

• Advertisement

One thing Ireland doesn't need is more banks ffs

But yes a lot of UK based companies will move/open offices to gain access to EU again

But it will be interesting to see what kinda package they negotiate and how much access to European markets they get....

Still somewhat surprised it got through though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

RoboKlopp wrote:
    If Britain comes out of this alright after a few years surely others could possibly want out too.

Sections of the Dutch political landscape already calling for an In/out referendum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

LordSutch wrote: »
    Wow, I just mean Wow, how did that happen!

I'm stunned.

More people put an "x" in the leave box than the remain box..... either that or the vote counters totalled up the wrong bundles of votes ;)

There was a Tory minister on the BBC this morning who said Scotland would be nothing without England.

Pfft scotlsnd voted to stay England voted leave....
    Do Westminster properly represent Scottish views now???

When will they vote to leave Ireland :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Losing the 2nd biggest economy in Europe is bound to have an affect?

This is the beginning of the end of the EU as we now know it. Unless there is serious reform of the institution following the departure of the UK this is just the first domino to fall!

It seems that the EU propaganda machine has successfully got people to believe that the only way is the EU way.
    350bn drop in sterling already is a fact not propaganda. Farage has already admitted the leave camp lied with their propaganda.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Enda to ask Joe Biden to join the US before he heads home from holidays....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yes something is wrong with EU .They no longer listen to the people only to big business and vested interests that use scare mongering to get their own way.And ignore democratic votes ,and call for a revote if they don't go the way they want them.

That's pretty much every government on the planet. You think Enda and co "ignore vasted interrests that use scaremongering to get their own way" and do exactly what the people want? Hello? Catholic church in shcoools?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Sections of the Dutch political landscape already calling for an In/out referendum.

You won't see such a call from the cowardly Irish , bravo Britain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Shield wrote: »

SF are irrelevant in this regard.. there's absolutely no indication that people on either side of the border want a United Ireland.

Oh sure you'll get nationalist people who'll say in a survey that "yeah of course" but that's an abstract scenario. The reality is that we wouldn't want to pay for it, and why would NI want to join our little (banana) republic anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

An absolutely hilarious article.
    Mr Kenny now faces leading Ireland through a period of difficulty and uncertainty unprecedented in the last 50 years, more complex and unpredictable than the recent financial crisis, more destabilising the Northern Troubles.

Lol.. Hysterical panic mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Well I voted remain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Voted remain

• Advertisement

traprunner wrote: »
    Enda to ask Joe Biden to join the US before he heads home from holidays....

Or maybe Trump. We're all prepared for President Trump now right? A Trump/Putin and Johnson alliance?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I really can't believe they were actually foolish enough to vote leave.

I'm shocked and surprised for the Leave vote, but this attitude is really annoying me.
    I've heard snippits of young remain supporters this morning saying they feel 'disillusioned with politics' and 'sad people didn't make the right decision'.
    It's a democracy and the majority have voted against something FFS!!!
    How can you be so flippant and ignorant to the state of your own nation?
    The truth is, no one really knows if this the right decision or not... it depends on who's views you want to believe and whose campaign has swayed you.

It's similar to Trump getting so close to power in the US.
    Don't question why people are 'foolish' to vote for him.
    Question as to why his ideas / views are so popular in the first place.

The UK Government have marginalised the majority of their people and they've kicked them in the nads this morning for it

Or maybe Trump. We're all prepared for President Trump now right? A Trump/Putin and Johnson alliance?

Trump would be a better president than the spineless Obama or crooked Clinton despite what the called it wrong again media wants to feed you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

When will the crash in sterling be reflected with our banks, and on the likes of Amazon? Asking for a friend...

350bn drop in sterling already is a fact not propaganda. Farage has already admitted the leave camp lied with their propaganda.

Farage said the 350 million for the NHS should not have been said. You think only the leave side were economical with the truth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

They main point of the eu is to have a trade block,encourage free trade,
    anyone can travel or work in an eu country .
    Theres no taxs or duty between eu countrys .
    Its bad news for ireland as we the uk is a big market for irish goods,
    if sterling drops people might go up the north to buy drink,cigarettes etc
    It could increase the cost of trade with the uk and you might need a passport to go to the north of ireland.
    The eu forced ireland to bring in new laws for human rights ,
    womens rights ,
    it helped us to bring in laws on divorce etc
    Which is a good thing.
    Irelands economy depends on being an eu member.
    I think the uk people voted to leave because they are concerned about immigration .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

my friend wrote:
    Trump would be a better president than the spineless Obama or crooked Clinton despite what the called it wrong again media wants to feed you

Sanders over the whole lot of them

tigger123 wrote: »
    Why will the euro sink?
    Because the UK is a large part of the EU economy, despite being outside the Euro.

Sterling falls through the floor. Yep. Great news for UK with an economic recession literally overnight.

That's actually great for their exports, but such a fact might not suit your narrative or economic ignorance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

The sun came up today, it will come up tomorrow and the day after that, the stay campaign tried to bully the electorate and it back fired.

Now I suppose I better get use to going to bed with no supper, because thats what the remain campaign said would happen if we voted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Sorry i've been hiding under a rock but has the voting ended and the results been publically anounced?

And whys everyone saying to shop on amazon? But sure theres no import duty when shopping or are ye talking about the drop in the sterling currency? Thanks!

Farage said the 350 million for the NHS should not have been said. You think only the leave side were economical with the truth?

We're already seeing the sheer economic effect predicted by remain

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ruahead wrote: »
    Idiots ? People who don't like being told what to do and who are brave enough to stand up for themselves ?

While supporting a smaller union ( the UK) because that's a good thing seeing and they are the big leader of it?

Nigel wasn't long rowing back and admitting hw lied about the £350m a week for the NHS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Setipiprant

my friend wrote: »
    That's actually great for their exports, but such a fact might not suit your narrative or economic ignorance

One of the positives that will be far outweighed by other factors of the coming recession for the UK.

Sorry i've been hiding under a rock but has the voting ended and the results been publically anounced?

And whys everyone saying to shop on amazon? But sure theres no import duty when shopping or are ye talking about the drop in the sterling currency? Thanks!

Yes.
    Voting ended
    Brexit won

Sterling dropped through the floor this morning.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Yes it's official. GBP has plummeted.

Will be interesting to see how the European markets open.

We're already seeing the sheer economic effect predicted by remain

Market panic, things will settle down fairly quickly. Although I'm sure a few traders have made a killing. One thing this referendum has highlighted is the sheer volume of economic experts in our midst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The hogs at the trough are rattled

Market panic, things will settle down fairly quickly. Although I'm sure a few traders have made a killing. One thing this referendum has highlighted is the sheer volume of economic experts in our midst.

Did you think GBP would plummet beforehand?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement