Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK Votes to leave EU

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Cameron due to make a statement in the next few minutes. Speculation on BBC that he may announce his resignation as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    The left show their own fascist credentials at times like this...

I'm not a leftie, I just have no time for bullsh1t.

Any Irish person gloating over this result is either a good for nothing mindless idiot, or a dangerous piece of work that should be sunk out in the Atlantic with concrete shoes. That's not fascism, that's common fcuking sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

You can't just dismiss it out of hand. Leave predicted a poor economic outcome and it's now happening. This is not scaremongering.

Going by your posts here it's you that's doing the scaremongering.As been pointed out to you on numerous posts of course the markets will erupt and there be turmoil for a while,That is expected, it happened about three hours ago.

It will settle down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I wonder how this will eventually impact the likes of Parcel Motel/Parcel Wizard.

That is literally the last thing anyone should be worrying about. Sterling has dropped 15c against the dollar and the Euro is going down too. Our export market could potentially be pretty fcuked because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Anyone celebrating this is being very premature.
    The British have marginalised themselves and we need to see what way the chips will fall now. The political landscape of Europe has changed utterly overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

BBC saying rumours going round that Cameron will resign.

hope he doesn't :( he's a decent ol'skin in fairness to him

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Shares falling like bags of dirt

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Cameron is on the podium with his wife.. suggests a personal statement coming too

I'm not a leftie, I just have no time for bullsh1t.

Any Irish person gloating over this result is either a good for nothing mindless idiot, or a dangerous piece of work that should be sunk out in the Atlantic with concrete shoes. That's not fascism, that's common fcuking sense.

Really ? Haven't seen anybody gloating over it, just seen people been very surprised at the results.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Panrich wrote: »
    Anyone celebrating this is being very premature.
    The British have marginalised themselves and we need to see what way the chips will fall now. The political landscape of Europe has changed utterly overnight.

Save your mealy mouth for Juncker & Co we aren't interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Does this mean we get the North back now? We could slip across and take Scotland while we're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

my friend wrote: »
    Save your mealy mouth for Juncker & Co we aren't interested

Thanks for the advice. I suspect that you're not really qualified to impart it.

Scotland was always going to vote remain, as a way to "stick it to England" for succeeding in getting them to remain in the UK.

They fail to realise however that their aspirations of EU membership were unfounded as they don't even remotely qualify for membership. Spain even guaranteed to veto any actions to include them, I suppose lest the catalans get any ideas...
    Not to mention the arse falling out of the one thing that might have just kept their heads above water - oil.

Now that the UK are out I'd imagine the Spanish will have a change of heart on Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Holy **** Cameron is standing down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Cameron gone / going.

Samaris wrote: »
    You're not wrong about the summing of "the rich" and "the poor" when it comes to mid-England, but it's interesting that NI and Scotland, as well as the outlying islands and tiny places (bar Gibralter) have tended to go for Remain, when those two are not really amongst "the rich" in terms of monetary wealth, anyway. They do tend to be fairly highly educated, perhaps even more so than the English heartlands, which is another form of wealth though.

Gibraltar voted to remain by 90%, I can see huge problems ahead for there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Cameron gone. He is getting out because he knows the UK is fcuked in the next few years.

Cameron reassuring that no immediate changes to people or trade will be made and reassuring the markets that the economy is strong

And he's intending to resign after stabling the immediate issues / by October

He's leaving the timing for triggering article 50 to the new PM

Didn't take any questions either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Well, that's all folks...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Does this mean we get the North back now? We could slip across and take Scotland while we're at it.

and have a million ulster scots and their brethen in scotland to look after?????????...noooooo thanks:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Step forward the Biff Tannen family with Trump and Boris

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Cameron gone by October :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

This is not good. Especially for those of us in the north who I fear will be disproportionately impacted by this. Despite all it's faults, I'd be more trusting of an unelected EU bureaucrat in Brussels than a tory in South East England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Never been so embarrassed to be British

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I hope not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Wow hes actually gonna resign, thats gonna cause even more market chaos,

Just imagine 6 months from now we could have Boris as PM and Donald as president.

Yay nationalism...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Beefy78 wrote:
    Never been so embarrassed to be British

You'll be fine

Bank shares down 30%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Cameron's speech

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Cameron: "This is your mess Boris. You f***ing fix it."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Gibraltar voted to remain by 90%, I can see huge problems ahead for there.

I -knew- I saw that somewhere and it was really confusing me because the BBC map shows Gib as Leave by 52/48. I think it's been lumped in with the South West.

Glad I'm not going crazy, I was sure they'd voted Remain, but was fooled by the map and figured I was mixing it up with Orkney or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

armaghlad wrote: »
    This is not good. Especially for those of us in the north who I fear will be disproportionately impacted by this. Despite all it's faults, I'd be more trusting of an unelected EU bureaucrat in Brussels than a tory in South East England.

If things get bad enough, you have the option to revolt against the Tory.

smash wrote: »
    That is literally the last thing anyone should be worrying about. Sterling has dropped 15c against the dollar and the Euro is going down too. Our export market could potentially be pretty fcuked because of this.

Oh I'm sorry for asking a question you deem irrelevant. *sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Kicking myself I didn't bet on leave. The bookies seemed so certain

ISEQ down 16%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

As an Irish person in London I find this vote an absolute disaster

1. The value of the pound has plummeted ...this will have a massive impact on Irish economy where UK is the biggest export partner. Those saying the pound will rally forget that it may not, due to stability recover enough or even fast enough. If you are a farmer in Ireland exporting to UK or a manufacturer then you will get considerably less for your goods overnight. Plus if one economy suffers then we all suffer in global markets

2. The border with NI has to be re instated and all the connotations that brings up ..especially as we have come so long moving away from borders and all that has implied in the mind of nationalists and unionists alike

3. What about the flow of Irish to work in the UK...may not change overnight but it will change as the OUT vote is about curtailing immigration and Ireland as part of the EU will be part of the curtailment

Finally the EU has its issues & problems are not insurmountable and it is the way froward for the people of Europe to be of one voice in security, law & trade

It is myopic and deluded to say its all about immigration curtailment when in a few years countries will be crying out for immigrants to work in services like the caring profession.The dictates about carbon emissions and other environment are correct and need to be seen at a global level as do employment law etc

This is a dreadful setback for the UK but also for Europe

Its a win for small minded backward looking people with a self centered view but worse than that they have no comprehension of the consequences
    Try getting your hospital now OUT voter with a devalued pound or an unstable economy with possible rise in inflation...And try staffing it with the limited UK workforce..And say good bye to a strong pound and the ability to buy cheap property in Europe or attract companies to London looking for a EU market

It's a good time to buy ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage.

Can i wake up now.

Oh I'm sorry for asking a question you deem irrelevant. *sigh*
    The broad brush answer, anything to do with international trade will be affected to some extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Phoebas wrote: »
    ISEQ down 16%

And still dropping, was only down 11% just after opening, last I looked was 17%.

How long will this "blip" last

• Advertisement

It's a good time to buy ?

Probably the best time to do your Christmas shopping online tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

10% off everything on Amazon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

MPFGLB wrote:

Disconnect from all media and go enjoy your weekend. Everything will be fine soon

MPFGLB wrote: »

1. The value of the pound has plummeted ...this will have a massive impact on Irish economy where UK is the biggest export partner. Those saying the pound will rally forget that it may not, due to stability recover enough or even fast enough. If you are a farmer in Ireland exporting to UK or a manufacturer then you will get considerably less for your goods overnight. Plus if one economy suffers then we all suffer in global markets

2. The border with NI has to be re instated and all the connotations that brings up ..especially as we have come so long moving away from borders and all that has implied in the mind of nationalists and unionists alike

3. What about the flow of Irish to work in the UK...may not change overnight but it will change as the OUT vote is about curtailing immigration and Ireland as part of the EU will be part of the curtailment

Finally the EU has its issues & problems are not insurmountable and it is the way froward for the people of Europe to be of one voice in security, law & trade

It is myopic and deluded to say its all about immigration curtailment when in a few years countries will be crying out for immigrants to work in services like the caring profession.The dictates about carbon emissions and other environment are correct and need to be seen at a global level as do employment law etc

This is a dreadful setback for the UK but also for Europe

Its a win fro small minded backward looking people with a self centered view but worse than that they have no comprehension of the consequences
    Try getting you hospital now OUT voter with a devalued pound or an unstable economy with possible rise in inflation...And try staffing it with the limited UK workforce..And say good bye to a strong pound and the ability to buy cheap property in Europe or attract companies to London looking for a EU market

2 is probably getting ahead of yourself, 3 is completely wrong, we have our own CTA with the UK.

2 is probably getting ahead of yourself, 3 is completely wrong, we have our own CTA with the UK.

Which works because we are both in the EU.

Within the context of the EU. The UK leaving puts the CTA on the table and we don't have the power to do a bilateral deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

You are dealing with Farage & Boris now...no previous agreement stands

Ireland as part of the EU cannot be dealt with separately as in olden days

And I am not getting ahead of myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

This vote hurts me right in the pension

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Setipiprant

Let Northern Ireland have a referendum to join Republic of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

you should have to do an IQ test prior to being allowed vote.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement