Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK Votes to leave EU

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

Oh my God, the long faces in this house, I'm the only Brexiteer at the breakfast table, and I seem to be considered the satanic spawn of Nigel Farage and Marine Le Pen. It's gonna be okay, folks, everything will be alright. When a space opens, why presume that something bad emerges to fill it? I think something good will come of this - a total re-organisation of the EU as an open trading and cultural bloc, as opposed to this ridiculous 'political union' ruled from an over-empowered, corporate-friendly, heavily-lobbied elitist centre in Brussels. It's going to be okay. Decentralisation is a good thing. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭micosoft

Great news IMO ,Hopefully we join them along with others in the future.

The only "great" news from this is to demonstrate over the next two years that everything you and your ilk believe in are utter lies. As the UK economy starts to crumble, basic human rights rolled back by the right wing cabal, the UK disintegrates as Scotland leaves it will demonstrate Project fear was actually Project reality. It's already started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

omahaid wrote: »
    I'm actually very pro-EU but the Brits made the decision it wasn't a good fit for them and I applaud them in making the decision.

It would be worse if the people blindly followed what their "betters" told them to do.
    Which 'betters' - the ones on the remain side or the ones on the leave side?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Can you debate without making derogatory personal remarks
    Insult what you don't know because you know nothing about my mentality ...you mark yourself with those ill informed comments

Ironic coming from your side who made sure to call every anti EU poster a Nazi and bigot.

How does it feel now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

So if as previously advised Enda Kenny and the CS have made contingency plans why the need this morning for an 'emergency cabinet meeting'
    ??

We don't need to worry about the Brits, it's our EU compliant CS that I fear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

you should have to do an IQ test prior to being allowed vote.

They did. 28% of the electorate didn't think it was important enough issue to bother voting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

micosoft wrote:
    The only "great" news from this is to demonstrate over the next two years that everything you and your ilk believe in are utter lies. As the UK economy starts to crumble, basic human rights rolled back by the right wing cabal, the UK disintegrates as Scotland leaves it will demonstrate Project fear was actually Project reality. It's already started.

Drugs seriously need to be legalised, mellow out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

micosoft wrote: »

Lol!!!

And people like you lot make fun of conspiracy theorists ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Any news on Johnny Walters yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭micosoft

iguana wrote: »
    They don't need to. Our referendums are constitutional and legally binding. The Brexit referendum was legally an extremely expensive opinion poll. Parliament can vote not to ratify it. I wouldn't be too surprised if the next step is that the new British PM goes to Europe to attempt to negotiate a new deal. Then parliament votes to accept that and claim this way everyone gets what they want. Brexiters ensured a better deal for the UK within the EU and remain supporters get to stay.

What better deal? We can't base the EU on what 16 million anti European English people think. There is no EU without free movement for example. We need to respect the English vote but conversely the English electorate have to accept the serious (dire) consequences of their vote. We simply could not go on with a majority of the UK electorate having voted out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Yes!

Excellent result.

Well done Sir Bob Geldof!

Well played Sir.

conorhal wrote: »
    You do know that's exactly the face on Tory city boys and fat cat Eurocrats that enraged enough people to vote out don't you? Euro smugness was the undoing of their pet project that they assumed need not involve the 'little people'.
    So whatever way people vote on anything at any time if someone doesn't like the result they're "upset by democracy"? Sound logic right there.

The EU has been out of control for too long. People signed up from free movement and free trade, not all the bolloxology that the EU has engaged in over recent times.
    Which bolloxology would that be?
    Also I could've sworn the free movement of people was one of the main issues in this vote on the Leave side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Whether you like the result or not, 72% turnout is fairly impressive.

They don't need to. Our referendums are constitutional and legally binding. The Brexit referendum was legally an extremely expensive opinion poll. Parliament can vote not to ratify it. I wouldn't be too surprised if the next step is that the new British PM goes to Europe to attempt to negotiate a new deal. Then parliament votes to accept that and claim this way everyone gets what they want. Brexiters ensured a better deal for the UK within the EU and remain supporters get to stay.
    I dunno, it would make UKIP one of the major parties if they did that and the Tories and Labour already have a nice thing going between them.

Also I could've sworn the free movement of people was one of the main issues in this vote on the Leave side.
    Economic & monitory union for starters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

'The Soviet Union was governed by 15 unelected people, who appointed each other and who were not accountable to anyone. The European Union is governed by two dozen people, who appoint each other and are not accountable to anyone.

I have lived in your future. It didn't work'

-Vladimir Bukovsky. Soviet dissident.

PARlance wrote: »
    Whether you like the result or not, 72% turnout is fairly impressive.
    A lot higher than the average General election, interestingly, places that had a lower turnout tended to vote remain.

Got there ahead of me. Eu's monitory policies are unsustainable, hopefully this will force change

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

I think the Remain campaigners and those who are disappointed today have not taken into account the issue of cause and effect wrt how the EU has behaved in the past few years. The extortion from Irish taxpayers to ensure corporations and banks and bondholders did not go bust, and the news of Greek pensioners rummaging in bins for food, as their pensions disappeared, plus the suicides of those driven to despair, the people lying on trolleys as austerity was promoted by thin lipped politicians from the palatial offices in Brussels was bound to have some effect in the long run on a vote such as this. You cannot just crap on the little people from your ivory tower and not expect some reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

What if this leads to a domino effect?

Which the UK were exempt from funny enough.
    'The Soviet Union was governed by 15 unelected people, who appointed each other and who were not accountable to anyone. The European Union is governed by two dozen people, who appoint each other and are not accountable to anyone.

I have lived in your future. It didn't work'

-Vladimir Bukovsky. Soviet dissident.
    That of course was the only issue with the Soviet Union.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Free movement, as in going to Italy for a few weeks to do a bit of business without needing a visa.

Not, Free Movement, why don't we open up Europe's borders and let in 2 million unfiltered economic migrants from Africa/Middle East because the German leader invited them. Or a shedload of Roma Gypsies to live on the side of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    Ironic coming from your side who made sure to call every anti EU poster a Nazi and bigot.

How does it feel now?

What the HELL are you talking about!!! ...I don't have a side nor did I call anyone those names

I came on here to debate the consequences from my point of view and you are aligning these comments to me for no othere reason than you cannot debate without name calling or reason without derision

you have no clue so its pointless debating with a person whose sole purpose is to deride and undermine

Hopefully not. With some of the governments currently in the East and Putin happily grabbing parts of other countries it doesn't really bear thinking about.

• Advertisement

Free movement, as in going to Italy for a few weeks to do a bit of business without needing a visa.

Not, Free Movement, why don't we open up Europe's borders and let in 2 million unfiltered economic migrants from Africa/Middle East because the German leader invited them. Or a shedload of Roma Gypsies to live on the side of the road.
    What about the in-between? Moving to another country within the Union to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

my friend wrote: »
    So if as previously advised Enda Kenny and the CS have made contingency plans why the need this morning for an 'emergency cabinet meeting'
    ??

We don't need to worry about the Brits, it's our EU compliant CS that I fear

So Enda can don his cape and come out later speaking breathlessly in bullet points.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

REXER wrote: »
    This is the beginning of the end of the EU as we now know it. Unless there is serious reform of the institution following the departure of the UK this is just the first domino to fall!

Hopefully followed by the end of NATO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Got there ahead of me. Eu's monitory policies are unsustainable, hopefully this will force change

I didn't know there was EU monitory policy, i suppose they will have to admonish the brits now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

That sounds lovely and would possibly be the best outcome, but I'm sure the majority that voted to leave wouldn't like their 'verdict' to be overruled.

And they're have to abandon Farage's proposed Independence Day bank holiday. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Which the UK were exempt from funny enough.

That of course was the only issue with the Soviet Union.

Oh there were plenty. But they stemmed from the control they had to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What about the in-between? Moving to another country within the Union to work.
    Exactly, that's what the Free Movement thing is all about, and something that I as a UK citizen have personally made use of 3 times during my working life. That right has (probably) now been removed from me, whilst simultaneously not having been allowed to vote on the matter as I've been away for more than the 15 year cut off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

The fact that 28% abstained is worrying to me. The most important referendum in their countries history and they don't get off their arse. That's criminally stupid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

riclad wrote: »
    They main point of the eu is to have a trade block,encourage free trade,
    anyone can travel or work in an eu country .
    Theres no taxs or duty between eu countrys .
    Its bad news for ireland as we the uk is a big market for irish goods,
    if sterling drops people might go up the north to buy drink,cigarettes etc
    It could increase the cost of trade with the uk and you might need a passport to go to the north of ireland.
    The eu forced ireland to bring in new laws for human rights ,
    womens rights ,
    it helped us to bring in laws on divorce etc
    Which is a good thing.
    Irelands economy depends on being an eu member.
    I think the uk people voted to leave because they are concerned about immigration .

You never needed a passport to go from Ireland to the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

UK will have to renegotiate trade agreements with the EU now. You can bet the terms will be brutal, as giving them a sweet deal would only encourage other wannabe separatists from following suit.

jamule wrote:
    I didn't know there was EU monitory policy, i suppose they will have to admonish the brits now

Ah it's a bit of a mess really and isn't working for most. Hopefully this will force change but it won't come easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

The fact that 28% abstained is worrying to me. The most important referendum in their countries history and they don't get off their arse. That's criminally stupid.

Yet at the same time 72% is quite impressive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Those people who think this is the right result purely because it sticks a finger in the eye of the EU are pretty dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭noc1980

You just know they're going to win the Euros now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Those people who think this is the right result purely because it sticks a finger in the eye of the EU are pretty dumb.
    What would the "right" result have been?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pretty dumb? The UK electorate is apparently 52% moron, according to the result.

Seriously, Farage invoking a speech from a sci-fi movie to celebrate? The guy is legitimately special needs. And 52% of the UK joined him.

ThisRegard wrote:

This isn't a dumb vote but was gonna happen at some stage. The eu isn't working for many for many different reasons. Let's all hope this can be resolved peaceful and sensibly but it won't be easy. There's no right or wrong here

Shocking really. Although I'm out of the loop so would love some examples of the "EU overlords" mentality. I never thought day to day life was affected that much by it. Certainly didn't know it was big enough to cause this monumental shift.

I hope most people voted for the right reasons and not the crap I've read in the guardian's comments.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Democracy really is the worst form of government.

May as well finish the quote: Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others which have been tried.

Honestly, I think the UK will survive. It's not as if there is no precedent for a country not being a part of the EU, and if there was any EU country which could more easily leave, it's the UK. They're not in the common passport area, and they don't use the same currency. There's going to be some significant growing pains, the bureaucrats will go nuts trying to create policies and regulation to reverse the EU, and they can always re-join in ten years if they want to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

noc1980 wrote: »
    You just know they're going to win the Euros now!

who's you??

england, wales, NI ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

UK will have to renegotiate trade agreements with the EU now. You can bet the terms will be brutal, as giving them a sweet deal would only encourage other wannabe separatists from following suit.

Absolutely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

What does this mean for us now for crossing border?

seamus wrote: »
    Pretty dumb? The UK electorate is apparently 52% moron, according to the result.

Seriously, Farage invoking a speech from a sci-fi movie to celebrate? The guy is legitimately special needs. And 52% of the UK joined him.
    More like 37%. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Crazy absolutely crazy. it shows that democracy can fail, scare mongered into leaving. The leave campaign had no strategy to ensure economic downturn wouldn't occur.

Christ, SME will suffer big time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Probably the best time to do your Christmas shopping online tbh.

I'm not sure what has me more shocked, Brexit or the mention of the "C" word in June :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement