Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK Votes to leave EU

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

If the regressive left didn't spend so much time demonising the legitimate views and concerns of the moderate right, this probably wouldn't have happened. Instead they just went around levelling everyone who disagreed with them as racists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What does this mean for us now for crossing border?
    It means that making the booze run is going to get cheaper and cheaper for the next 6-12 months.

The oil run, not so much - the cost of petrol in the UK is going to go up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

seamus wrote: »
    Pretty dumb? The UK electorate is apparently 52% moron, according to the result.

Seriously, Farage invoking a speech from a sci-fi movie to celebrate? The guy is legitimately special needs. And 52% of the UK joined him.

Truth be told, it's certainly shaken my belief in the powers of rational thought within the electorate.
    A German commentator said it was a decision of heart over head, nostalgia and fear over pragmatism. I think he pretty much nailed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

What would the "right" result have been?

It doesn't matter what I think the right result is, the point is as to the reasons why people think either result, no matter which way it went, is the right one.

Same mentality as to how people vote in elections here, I'm going to vote for this guy, he's awful, will never do anything constructive, but it's finger to the 'establishment' and that's all I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Pick a side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

By the looks of this thread people were in favour of leave because of condescension?

Seems like a logical reason to **** your economy up..

Crazy absolutely crazy. it shows that democracy can fail, scare mongered into leaving. The leave campaign had no strategy to ensure economic downturn wouldn't occur.

Christ, SME will suffer big time.
    Short-term I think our growth will be blunted. If things go as expected we should be sitting fairly well medium-term. We just need to start building some damn houses either way.

seamus wrote: »
    It means that making the booze run is going to get cheaper and cheaper for the next 6-12 months.

The oil run, not so much - the cost of petrol in the UK is going to go up.

I'm not so sure - I suspect the first thing to happen now is prices across the board in the UK will increase quite steeply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Crazy absolutely crazy. it shows that democracy can fail, scare mongered into leaving. The leave campaign had no strategy to ensure economic downturn wouldn't occur.

Democracies fine, we just need to find it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

UK will have to renegotiate trade agreements with the EU now. You can bet the terms will be brutal, as giving them a sweet deal would only encourage other wannabe separatists from following suit.

But perhaps UK can now independently negotiate trade agreements with countries in Africa, South America, and China, India, Russia, etc, etc. People forget that the EU is not simply a free trade area, it is in essence a restrictive tariff and quota area, which has been exclusionary in nature (for all you who argue about inclusiveness). Africa, South America, etc etc have all been subject to restrictive tariffs and quotas which has hindered members of the EU trading with these countries. Perhaps new and greater possibilities will be opened up for UK trade? Look on the bright side :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

What if this leads to a domino effect?

Please please. God i hope so!!

Christ, SME will suffer big time.

I've been reading the German media this morning. One of the commentators put the blame squarely on ALL political parties within the UK by saying that you can't spend decades blaming the EU for absolutely everything that's going wrong in your country and then expect to get a different message across in a few months.
    I think most of the work for the leave campaign had been done well before it even took off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

buried wrote: »
    Farage has told ITV’s Good Morning Britain that he thought it was a mistake for the Vote Leave campaign to say that it could save £350m a week by leaving the EU and that the money could go to the NHS :pac:
    Fůcking scumbag admitted lying
    my friend wrote: »
    That's actually great for their exports, but such a fact might not suit your narrative or economic ignorance

Except Britain exports half of what it imports from the EU, so the 10% drop in Sterling will cost on average £6.5bn a year, co-incidentally almost exactly the net cost (roughly £7bn) to Britain of being a member

The £350m a week is a blatant lie and has been from the start,

https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million/

"£350 million is what we would pay to the EU budget, without the rebate.
    But the UK actually pays just under £250 million a week."

"The government then gets some of that money back, mainly through payments to farmers and for poorer areas of the country such as Wales and Cornwall.

"In 2015, the UK's ‘public sector receipts’ amounted to £4.5 billion
    So overall we paid in £8.5 billion more than we got back, or £23 million a day.
    The Treasury figures note payments the EU makes directly to the private sector, such as research grants. In 2013, these were worth an estimated £1.4 billion, so including them could reduce our net contribution further still."

This is before we get into trade tariffs etc.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Saipanne wrote: »
    If the regressive left didn't spend so much time demonising the legitimate views and concerns of the moderate right, this probably wouldn't have happened. Instead they just went around levelling everyone who disagreed with them as racists.
    Yep, this kind of unhelpful condescending poopooing of the stupid little people's concerns by the intelligentsia certainly contributed to this result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Nothing

It's not nothing, stop being so naive. there will be boarder controls setup. Thats not nothing. It has serious implications.....

Boarder towns will suffer immensely, people will cross over the boarder to purchase goods at a cheaper rate, boarder towns will suffer.

Its a horrible situation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

So Wales voted LEAVE but now are looking for reasurrence they will continue to get the EU subsidies they always got ...biggest in Europe for a long time

And ditto Conrwall

http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/update/2016-06-24/cornwall-pleas-for-reassurance-it-will-not-be-worse-off-following-brexit-vote/

Not sure how Farage will get the money and from where ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Short-term I think our growth will be blunted. If things go as expected we should be sitting fairly well medium-term. We just need to start building some damn houses either way.

An exodus of immigrants from Ireland could result also..freeing up some houses, but also damaging the economy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

I see Sinn Fein are already looking for the 32 county united Ireland since the north wanted to stay in the EU, the other 6 counties would be better off joined to Ireland, or something to that effect.

But perhaps UK can now independently negotiate trade agreements with countries in Africa, South America, and China, India, Russia, etc, etc. People forget that the EU is not simply a free trade area, it is in essence a restrictive tariff and quota area, which has been exclusionary in nature (for all you who argue about inclusiveness). Africa, South America, etc etc have all been subject to restrictive tariffs and quotas which has hindered members of the EU trading with these countries. Perhaps new and greater possibilities will be opened up for UK trade? Look on the bright side :)

Possibly, but considering that their labour costs are set to increase sharply with reduced access to workforce and higher wages as inflation will rise, their exports will struggle to be competitive. Especially going into emerging markets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Shenshen wrote: »
    I've been reading the German media this morning. One of the commentators put the blame squarely on ALL political parties within the UK by saying that you can't spend decades blaming the EU for absolutely everything that's going wrong in your country and then expect to get a different message across in a few months.
    I think most of the work for the leave campaign had been done well before it even took off.

That's exactly it. The EU provides a spectacular excuse to discharge responsibility - anything goes wrong, it the "EU" dictating so. Anybody with a gram of a brain can see it here as well, especially if you happen to be familiar with other countries in the Union and realize that different countries blame absolute opposite issues on the same "EU policies"...

I'm so excited.

Off on the hols to Skegness. I've never travelled outside Europe before. It's all so exotic now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Well its unfortunate that they left, but I think our government should do everything to take advantage of the situation for the benefit of our country.

Also, amazing that there are actually people who want to follow suit. The UK is no longer the world 5th largest economy and that happened over night. We now know that the expert were right in regards to the economic consequences, and ignoring that is the height of stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I'm no economics expert, but surely trade with the EU is far more beneficial to these regions than trade with the UK?

Genuine question: why would China be interested in agreeing a trade agreement that is favourable to the UK? What's the UK's bargaining power now?

I see Sinn Fein are already looking for the 32 county united Ireland since the north wanted to stay in the EU, the other 6 counties would be better off joined to Ireland, or something to that effect.

Could possibly be an outcome ...becasue NI out of Europe & ROI in makes the divide more concrete now

ParkRunner wrote: »
    An exodus of immigrants from Ireland could result also..freeing up some houses, but also damaging the economy
    Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The fact that 28% abstained is worrying to me. The most important referendum in their countries history and they don't get off their arse. That's criminally stupid.

I wouldn't be getting too worried if I was you.
    72% is a very high turnout. You will always get a fairly significant % that just won't vote.

"Only" 70% of us turned out on the vote to enter the EU. The marriage referendum was applauded and that was a 60% turnout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

The EU has trade agreements in place with Kosovo, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina ,Serbia , Ukraine, Albania, Macedonia , Faroe Islands, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, Algeria, Egypt, Lebanon, Jordan, Israel, Morocco, Tunisia, Palestinian Authority, Syria, Ecuador, Colombia, Peru, Iraq, Korea, Cameroon, Madagascar, Chile, Mexico, South Africa and others.

It'll take decades for the UK to independently negotiate trade agreements will all of these. If you want a guaranteed job for the next 20 years, get into the trade negotiation business.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The EU should take absolutely everything from the UK in the leave negotiations. If they make it easy and give them any concessions, you can expect other countries to want to leave and you can kiss the entire system goodbye.

• Advertisement

wes wrote: »
    Well its unfortunate that they left, but I think our government should do everything to take advantage of the situation for the benefit of our country.

Also, amazing that there are actually people who want to follow suit. The UK is no longer the world 5th largest economy and that happened over night. We now know that the expert were right in regards to the economic consequences, and ignoring that is the height of stupidity.

I had actually been thinking the same thing. Ireland is well placed to fill a large part of the whole Britain will leave within the EU, particularly when it comes to the services industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Could possibly be an outcome ...becasue NI out of Europe & ROI in makes the divide more concrete now

I think it's definitely an outcome, possibly the NI assembly voting to take on the euro in the north for economic reasons.

It's not nothing, stop being so naive. there will be boarder controls setup. Thats not nothing. It has serious implications.....

Boarder towns will suffer immensely, people will cross over the boarder to purchase goods at a cheaper rate, boarder towns will suffer.

Its a horrible situation!

I'm driving to Belfast tonight, NOTHING has changed. I will see no border nor will i see any changes.

I'm not saying nothing will change going forward but nothing will change for a long time if anything even changes at all.

Nobody knows what's going to happen but everyone here is an expert.

The Brits don't know whats going to happen, Europe don't know whats going to happen. Let's just wait and see.

So Wales voted LEAVE but now are looking for reasurrence they will continue to get the EU subsidies they always got ...biggest in Europe for a long time

And ditto Conrwall

http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/update/2016-06-24/cornwall-pleas-for-reassurance-it-will-not-be-worse-off-following-brexit-vote/

Not sure how Farage will get the money and from where ??

Oh God, they actually believed Farage and Co :D! There already back tracking on the NHS promises they made as well. It amazing that what so many called "Project Fear", is turning out to be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

WTF? Are they bloody mental?!

edit: reign in my outrage, they (Cornwall) want the equivalent they got from the EU to be funded by the UK, not to continue to get it from the EU.

How long will all these negotiation of trade deals take not to mention all the employment law,etc

Will need considerable more mandarins in Whitehall and could take years as bureaucracy takes ages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I tend to agree, if they strike while the iron is hot. Hold a referendum on NI and Scottish independence in the next 12 months and they will gladly accept it.

After that, things will start settling down again and people might be happier to stay where they are.

It's always about the economy. Unionists aren't going to continue hitching their wagon to a horse that's dying.

We may in fact see the break up of the UK in our own lifetimes. That's even bigger than the UK leaving the EU.

elefant wrote: »
    I'm no economics expert, but surely trade with the EU is far more beneficial to these regions than trade with the UK?

Genuine question: why would China be interested in agreeing a trade agreement that is favourable to the UK? What's the UK's bargaining power now?
    EU trade agreements are less important than you might think

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_free_trade_agreements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

Possibly, but considering that their labour costs are set to increase sharply with reduced access to workforce and higher wages as inflation will rise, their exports will struggle to be competitive. Especially going into emerging markets.

Yes, I agree, it is possible there will be some bumps along the way. But 'emerging markets' is where it is at ultimately, and wages and living standards will eventually equalise across the globe and people will trade more fairly and openly without this dreadful divide in conditions and pay globally which fuels poverty and corporate greed. All this upheaval may signal the emergence of a new way of looking at the truth of how things actually work in this world. Buying bananas cheaply from poisoned workers who earn barely enough to buy a daily portion of rice is not a way any of us should be willing to live. Tariffs and Quotas and subsidised trading that benefits multinational corporations and their super rich share holders and fcuks up the (short) earthly lives of hundreds of millions of our fellow planeteers is immoral and unjustifiable.

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    I'm driving to Belfast tonight, NOTHING has changed. I will see no border nor will i see any changes.

I'm not saying nothing will change going forward but nothing will change for a long time if anything even changes at all.

Nobody knows what's going to happen but everyone here is an expert.

The Brits don't know whats going to happen, Europe don't know whats going to happen. Let's just wait and see.

The value of the currency they use up in Belfast has plummeted.

How long will all these negotiation of trade deals take not to mention all the employment law,etc

Will need considerable more mandarins in Whitehall and could take years as burcracy takes ages

They have to leave in 2 years as per the relevant treaty, once they trigger the process, and there will be no leeway given in all likelihood, especially as I fully expect the likely UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson to piss off as many EU leaders as humanely possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

"You can't fatten a pig on market day"

All that ignores the very real reason that people are letigimately disenchanted with the direction the EU has taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Why?

In short, Surinder Singh

EU trade agreements are less important than you might think

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_free_trade_agreements

That looks like a very large list to me.
    UK companies trading with any of those countries might think they are very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bogwarrior

fear and more fear , not for me , im delighted hope everything fups up , twould be good . really i have nothing and nothing to loose . think there are a lot like me who would like to see change . break the lot and start again wooo hooooo lets go .

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Phoebas wrote: »

4 weeks ago the pound was weaker against the euro than today, the euro's problems have not gone away.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

Ireland needs to be at the forefront of the EU/UK negotiations and veto any vindictive penalties/terms that the EU head honchos try to put on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

So when will the pound "collapse" occure? I don't see any change on the markets right now.

I'm off to England in 3 weeks so I'm hoping for a downward spiral lol

Last Night

£1 = €1.30

Now

£1 = €1.26

Hardly plummeted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

On a personal level I'm gutted. I work in the north but live in Donegal so the vast majority of my salary in sterling is converted to euros, so devaluation in sterling is essentially like a massive paycut. The wider impact on businesses in border areas is very worrying. I always find an exchange rate of 1 pound = 1.30 to 1.35 euro is needed to keep prices/salaries on both sides of the border roughly equal.

That looks like a very large list to me.
    UK companies trading with any of those countries might think they are very important.
    yes but you'd think there are trade agreements with say US, China, India, Brazil etc..there aren't and yet we seem to trade with these countries without much difficulty

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement