Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware "Bogus Fundraisers"

Options
  • 24-06-2016 6:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Two weeks ago I found a lost "sponsorship form" that purported to be collecting money for Enniskerry Boxing Club. When I went to try and return form to the club, it transpired that the club do not do door to door fundraising. Official from club has taken up the matter with Garda Authorities.
    Yesterday, around 5:30p.m. a youth (15/16 years) called to my home with a similar form trying to raise money for the same club. On questioning him for ID, permit, he had neither. He was also vague about where he lived, he said he was attending school in Wicklow town. All very suspicious. I said I would try and make contact with name at bottom of form. I closed the door and left youth for a short while. No reply to telephone call, number not in service. When I returned the boy was gone.
    All the names on the form appeared to be from Hillside addresses. About €40 either pledged or collected.
    I then decided to report matter to Garda, who are aware of this type of bogus fundraising.
    Warning to householders. Do not support these chancers.
    Report to gardai and try and get decent description of persons.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Had a similar experience recently with a young girl at the door collecting for St. Kevins school but she had her mother with her. Seemed genuine till they informed me the suggested donation was either 10 euro or 25euro! I said to the mother that that was a ridiculous amount to expect someone to hand over at a doorstep and she agreed, but still looked at me expectantly. The sponsorship form had other donations between 5 and 10 as far as I recall. I rang Kevins the next day and they knew nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

dr ro wrote: »
    Had a similar experience recently with a young girl at the door collecting for St. Kevins school but she had her mother with her. Seemed genuine till they informed me the suggested donation was either 10 euro or 25euro! I said to the mother that that was a ridiculous amount to expect someone to hand over at a doorstep and she agreed, but still looked at me expectantly. The sponsorship form had other donations between 5 and 10 as far as I recall. I rang Kevins the next day and they knew nothing about it.

damm got duped by these people two weeks ago .. same story €10 or €25... kid was over weight with red hair / same as her mother - damm it gave her €10 as i felt bullied into it :(

FFS

:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Always a "Sorry, I'm not interested, goodbye" from my household (unless it's a kid we know from the estate). Very simple rule, give to charities and organisations of your choice at a time of your choice, never feel pressured into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

cocker5 wrote: »
    damm got duped by these people two weeks ago .. same story €10 or €25... kid was over weight with red hair / same as her mother - damm it gave her €10 as i felt bullied into it :(

FFS

:mad::mad:
    Yeah i handed over a fiver as i normally do sponsor kids, having kids that age myself, but i kind of knew something wasn't right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

dr ro wrote: »
    Yeah i handed over a fiver as i normally do sponsor kids, having kids that age myself, but i kind of knew something wasn't right.

Im soooo annoyed with myself!!! :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It would be nice if someone could get a photo of these con artists and send it to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

2011 wrote: »
    It would be nice if someone could get a photo of these con artists and send it to the Gardai.

I'm sure I have some photos of election candidates some where. Kidding of course, I didn't get any photos. :(

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

astrofluff wrote: »
    I'm sure I have some photos of election candidates some where. Kidding of course, I didn't get any photos. :(

Even better :D

astrofluff wrote: »

Edgy :P

Advertisement