Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet training and night time

Options
  • 24-06-2016 8:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what your experience Is with this and what you did. My little girl (2 years 2 months) is newly toilet trained. It took a very short time and she pretty much did it herself. Thing is, since she started doing her wee in the toilet she is now waking up 3 times a night wanting to go. Could be about every 3 hours. She definitely needs to go as passes urine each time. We don't give her a lot to drink before bedtime and doesn't take a cup of
    Milk before bed or anything. She does a massive wee about 7.30 before bed but is still waking.

My boy never did this... He's 3.5 and his nappy on the morning is still heavy. Maybe he's just lazier!? Lol. But basically this is driving us mad. We don't want to ignore here (she would never just go back to sleep anyway). I'm hoping it will stop in time but usually when she gets into a habit it's very difficult to break with her. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

Maybe try to gradually move the majority of her fluid intake to earlier in the day - morning and early afternoon with only sips in the evening.

Its great that she wakes up to go to the toilet rather than wetting but I can see how it will quickly get exhausting for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

We had that with our girl too, she had pull ups on a night at the start but wouldn't go in them and used to call us to go to toilet.
    We stopped giving anything to drink for an hour before bedtime, obviously toilet just before bed, and then when we were going to bed we'd lift her out of bed and put her on the toilet to go (even if she woke she'd go straight back asleep after, and most of the times she'd pretty much still be asleep going to the toilet!). That meant her bladder was fully empty at maybe 11pm and because she hadn't drank in hours it usually got us til morning time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

sillysocks wrote: »
    We had that with our girl too, she had pull ups on a night at the start but wouldn't go in them and used to call us to go to toilet.
    We stopped giving anything to drink for an hour before bedtime, obviously toilet just before bed, and then when we were going to bed we'd lift her out of bed and put her on the toilet to go (even if she woke she'd go straight back asleep after, and most of the times she'd pretty much still be asleep going to the toilet!). That meant her bladder was fully empty at maybe 11pm and because she hadn't drank in hours it usually got us til morning time.

Thanks very much. She usually wakes herself at about 11.30/12 and asks to go. But will then go again between 3-5am. But I'm going to try your approach and see how we get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Thanks very much. She usually wakes herself at about 11.30/12 and asks to go. But will then go again between 3-5am. But I'm going to try your approach and see how we get on :)

Starting to toilet train my boy next weekend so I may be back to ask questions next week :)

Not sure on the science behind it but maybe there's also a need for her bladder to get used to not going for the longer amounts of time. I have vague memories of being woken in the very middle of the night with a toilet call but definitely don't remember it going on too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I was going to say same, they learn to hold it.

I trained my son (for wee's) back in November and he was dry at night within a week but just like your daughter he was waking up for wee's a few times during the night. I'd say it was about 4-5 months before he managed 11/12hrs. It didn't really make much difference how much we gave him to drink - in other words we just kept his fluids the same. He'd have a 200ml cup of milk 1/2hr before bed, do a wee before bed and will last til morning.

Mind you I actually like when he wakes at 3/4/5am for a wee because he generally goes straight back asleep and then he lasts until 8.30am rather than 6.30am so I get a bonus lie-in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement