Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilimanjaro with psoas muscle trouble

Options
  • 24-06-2016 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

A couple of weeks ago, I managed to tear my hip flexor/psoas muscle while out on a long hike. I've been to physio twice and while I feel it is getting better... I am due to climb Kilimanjaro in a fortnight and I have no idea what to do

I haven't done any exercise in the last three weeks since it happened, and no unnecessary walking let alone anything uphill. Physio said to give it another week and try get out on an uphill walk in the next week and see how I go and decide from there

I don't want to do this trip if I am not 100% as don't want to cause even more damage or worse yet, have an unsuccessful climb to the summit. Has anyone else had psoas muscle injury (from uphill walking) and how long did it take you to get back into it?

Thanks
    Sarah

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Ive strained my hip flexors a few times, mainly while doing v long hikes/climbs and mainly on snow.

Took me a week or two to settle down. My own experience was I could walk through it with heat patches, but not at high altitude so I'd take medical advice rather than anything said on here.

If it was me I'd want to be as close as 100% as possible given you'd have high altitude etc to contend with.. If you've travel insurance you could be covered if you've an injury? Worth checking.

How long do you have after landing before starting climbing? Hip flexors will tighten up while on a plane etc.

You'll know best yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

You've torn them or you've sprained / tightened them? I would imagine a psoas muscle tear would be agony and leave you in no doubt as to wether you were fit to travel or not. Maybe I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sayrahkc

I've a small tear in my right psoas muscle from over extending it out on a strenuos uphill walk three weeks ago. I sit down in my job pretty much all day and it was shortened because of this which has made it more susceptible to tears! 👎

If I feel okay next week and feel no pain, is there a chance that it will flare up again on the Kili climb?! I arrive in Tanzania very early in the morning on the 10th and start the climb on the 11th July!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I never even knew I had a psoas muscle until I read this thread :D

Advertisement