Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Embryo donation

Options
  • 24-06-2016 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread so mods please move as appropriate.

As many of you know, I am currently pregnant with twins after a long time ttc.

We have three remaining embryos in storage. To be honest, I would imagine that our twins will complete our family, I can't imagine going down the FET route again, but who knows.

We recently had to decide whether or not to continue to store the embryos, as I did my IVF last June and we have decided to continue to see how we feel once the babas arrive (hopefully safe and well)

Our options, the next time this question arises, are to keep them in storage, to destroy them or to donate them.

I had never considered the notion of donation to be honest and I can't work out how I feel about it. On the one hand, I have a nephew conceived by donor on both sides and he is such a joy to his parents and to all of us, but on the other I find the notion of "our" babies being born to and raised by strangers uncomfortable.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced or considered it - either as donor or donee?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

We had to discuss this prior to treatment but we were never given the option to donate. We had a choice of freezing, destroying or giving consent to the clinic to use unused embryos or eggs for training and development purposes. As it turned out, we didn't have anything to freeze, which was our first choice as we would like to go again. We did give consent to the clinic's research for any embryos kept with them for over 5 years.

Advertisement