Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The effect of the Brexit on Irish Football

• 24-06-2016 10:47am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Forgive me if there's a thread already on this but I haven't seen one.

So the UK will no longer be part of the EU, I think there's a big discussion to be had on British football and the premier league but I'd prefer to talk about Irish football. I read a facebook post and the point it made was Kevin Doyle was a young Irish player who went to play in England. It is possible that in the future Irish people will need work permits to work in Britain, ending previous arrangements. Like before it is possible that all foreigners will need to earn a certain number of caps before being allowed to play in British leagues. It is also possible that there will be a freedom of movement between GB and Ireland and both cases have points of discussion.

If movement is restricted:
    The national team, I see more granny rule playing for us as they will be playing in the better English leagues. We will also see more Irish internationals playing in the other European countries. I don't know if other leagues would take to take Irish kids like the English clubs did. We may see more league of Ireland players make the squad as it becomes harder to find a club abroad.

The league of Ireland, as mentioned above more players may make the squad. With movement to England being restricted, we may see players hang on here a little longer. We may also see more European players coming to play here in the hope that they get a bit of exposure playing in European competition, players that would have traditionally gone to play in the lower leagues in England. I think overall the league will be better off.

If movement between Britain and Ireland is open:
    The national team, I think this could be the best thing to happen as Irish players once again line-out for clubs like Man UTD, Liverpool and Arsenal, regularly playing against Barcelona, AC Milan and Bayern Munich. I know overall the premier league will be weaker, how much so, I don't know but we will probably have more players playing European football, which has to be good.

The league of Ireland, the exodus will be massive as English clubs now restricted will go to all sorts of lengths to pick up any bit of talent going. Irish clubs won't be able to compete at all in Europe. We may see more Europeans coming in though to try and get a few quid, again the type of player that would have ended up playing in the lower leagues in England.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Prem clubs have seen their income jump by far more than Sterling has fallen by and if you consider the "Prem Proven" rule adds at least 50% to a player of comparable quality from the Eurozone then it still makes sense to shop overseas if you're after a player from one of the Continental leagues

Work permits are another matter but obviously clubs have players from South America, Africa etc.

The common travel area will remain, it was there before the EU after all.

One thing that could be important in the medium-long term is that it'll become harder to bring in youth players from abroad as work permits become as awkward for EU players as non EU players so locally trained players will become sought after. This in turn may mean a greater emphasis on higher quality coaching at grassroots level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Here's a bit of insight about the situation...

Brexit vote to leave EU will impact the Premier League and its players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The common travel area will remain, it was there before the EU after all.

The CTA was there when we were both not in the EU and then when we were both in the EU. The current situation of 'us in them out' has no precedent.

At worst it'll mean some queueing, the sheer volume of traffic between the two is such that nothing more substantial will happen.

CTA was part of why we both joined at the same time.

Also the African/South American thing is usually done through countries which have ties to those countries (Belgium/Spain/Portugal) which then gives them the right to move around the EU.

• Advertisement

CTA was part of why we both joined at the same time.

Also the African/South American thing is usually done through countries which have ties to those countries (Belgium/Spain/Portugal) which then gives them the right to move around the EU.

As an example Kolo Toure moved from the Nigerian league to Arsenal without any intermediate stop in say France to make things easier. His only advantage was that he was a senior international.

That will become the benchmark for all players regardless of age in the long term.

As an example Kolo Toure moved from the Nigerian league to Arsenal without any intermediate stop in say France to make things easier. His only advantage was that he was a senior international.

That will become the benchmark for all players regardless of age in the long term.
    1) "Only advantage" like it's a small thing.
    2) Nigerian league?
    3) They've been tightening up on work permits quite a bit since then.

Sorry Ivory Coast - He played for Mimosas (and no I don't think they all look the same)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Will need passports and visa's to play in the Brandywell :p.

One thing that could be important in the medium-long term is that it'll become harder to bring in youth players from abroad as work permits become as awkward for EU players as non EU players so locally trained players will become sought after. This in turn may mean a greater emphasis on higher quality coaching at grassroots level.

Article by legal eagle on this

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-liverpool-fc-what-leaving-11520379#rlabs=3%20rt$category%20p$2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Foreign teams will have now this song as ammo:

The UK is on Fire!!
    Your Economy is Terrified!!

The UK is on Fire!!

The UK is on Fire!!

Na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

We'll look at this thread in 10 years time and be mind blown by the changes that have occured.

Anyway,I'm intrigued by a possible London national football team :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Question, would the Premier League just be able to get work permits at will so that the likes of Kante could just move regardless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm not sure about other nationalities but I don't think there will be any restrictions on Irish people because the UK doesn't regard Ireland as a foreign country. This was clarified in the 'Ireland Act' after we were declared a republic and way before either country was in the EU:
    2 Republic of Ireland not a foreign country

(1) It is hereby declared that, notwithstanding that the Republic of Ireland is not part of His Majesty’s dominions, the Republic of Ireland is not a foreign country for the purposes of any law in force in any part of the United Kingdom or in any colony, protectorate or United Kingdom trust territory, whether by virtue of a rule of law or of an Act of Parliament or any other enactment or instrument whatsoever, whether passed or made before or after the passing of this Act, and references in any Act of Parliament, other enactment or instrument whatsoever, whether passed or made before or after the passing of this Act, to foreigners, aliens, foreign countries, and foreign or foreign-built ships or aircraft shall be construed accordingly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

It may not be considered a foreign country but we do have our own unique Passport and people are applying for Irish passports for themselves and their kids in record numbers atm. Ideally we would prefer an Irish born team etc but it wouldn't be bad if a future footballing great is currently in the process of getting an Irish passport because their parents were afraid that they wouldn't have the option of working in Switzerland if they should choose to when they grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Surely, the obvious difference is that there'll be far more UK players in the league as work permits will be based on special talent/international caps criteria. So the UK team should be better and the granny rule will work very well for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Hopefully it means we stop shipping kids off to Scunthorpe and the likes to learn their trade but we'd need investment in coaching and infrastructure here

Advertisement