Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your Min and Max Heart rate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Took mine while sitting in the car at traffic lights - surprised to find it was 48, I didn't consider myself such a chilled out driver! Not so surprised to measure it at 46 whilst listening to a recent management presentation...

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Loads more data included now....

Great graph and kind of shows the 220-age is not too far off.
    Its designed as a population average so accurate for a cohort taking a treadmill test to check for heart disease (the larger the cohort the more accurate) rather than individual use for sport.
    The cohort here is by definition more active and probably fitter than the population average which might explain the higher max.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Laundry_Hamper

27, min. 46, max. 207

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

PaddyFagan wrote: »
    I have a Fitbit HR (as does my wife) so I'm quoting from it. I've seen else where, any group of relatively fit leisure athletes will have a high proportion of rest rates in the 50's. It's somewhat genetic, and reading between the lies the printed guides are conservative because a low resting rate if you are unfit is a risk factor.

Fair enough, but the amount of people with sub 50 and even sub 40 here is to my mind astonishing, and I studied exercise and physiology in an earlier life so have some knowledge in the area.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Not sure how the Fitbit determines RHR, but it's way over what it can show as actual. According to the Fitbit my RHR it records is typically in the high 50s, but after a few minutes rest it shows a current HR in the low-mid 50s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

31, resting HR of maybe 44, and max HR recorded recently of 176 bpm. That being said I don't race, or do balls to the wall efforts for training, and that was seen on a sportive, so probably could do higher under certain circumstances.

Should add, the RHR has been estimated by manual count, measured by phone, and by a BP monitor too. Caused a nurse to do a bit of a double take as part of a work checkup for cholesterol, etc. and she assumed she'd need to retake it until I told her it was normal enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Resting: 55

Max: 188

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Can someone post a reliable chart for RHR? According to every chart I've seen so far, this site is filled with pro level athletes.
    terrydel wrote: »
    Fair enough, but the amount of people with sub 50 and even sub 40 here is to my mind astonishing, and I studied exercise and physiology in an earlier life so have some knowledge in the area.

I've checked now in a few methods :

Data from a wearable (FitBit)
    Data from Garmin HRM worn overnight
    Manual check while chilling on the sofa allowing a few minutes to settle, seated upright rather than slouched.

44-48 bpm typically recorded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

The formula 220-age is within 5 bpm for 11 out of 34 respondents, which is a 32% accuracy.
    The formula is within 10 bpm for 18 out of 34 respondents, which is a 53% accuracy.
    The largest inaccuracy so far is 17%.
    Personally I think, looking at this data, that trying to estimate your maximum heart rate based on your age is impossible. It is not a straight line and cannot be defined as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

YFlyer wrote: »
    Proof

Request denied.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

terrydel wrote: »
    can you confirm what i heard, that a standard rest pulse would not be taken as you're waking up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I'll be 66 next week and haven't cycled for a few years.
    At age 58 around the time I did the Wicklow 200 my resting rate was 45 and my max was 162. Luckily I wasn't wearing a heart monitor during the W200 as it was probably 160 most of the way.
    My resting rate was lying flat in bed (no pillow) wearing a chest band and bike computer in view.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

ford2600 wrote: »

Very interesting article, Graham Obree has said he doesn't cycle more than 50 miles. "Its a well known fact that poets live longer than racing cyclists"
    There are a lot of memorial races for the hard men of cycling

ford2600 wrote: »

Yeah, a very interesting raf indeed, thanks for the link. The old "everything in moderation" adage keeps coming up, doesn't it.........especially for those of us the wrong side of 40.

Some of the comments after the article were also very interesting - notably the suggestion that evolution doesn't really concern itself about what happens to the body once you have matured, bred and reared your offspring, that it is really only interested in getting you to that stage to ensure survival of the species and after that, well.......it doesn't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Thud

Slept with Garmin hrm on last night, lowest hr was 42, more reflective avg was 45, for longer periods, interesting seeing spikes during the night, (rolling over, nightmares?). Max recorded on bike was 192, age 36.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

Age 35
    Lowest:39
    Highest:194

For me the low heart rate is mainly genetic, with zero training it would still be in the 40s. Dont see it as a useful indicator of fitness either as my HR shoots up to 140 as soon as i begin any kind of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Age 29
    Resting heart rate measured today 46
    Max 212 (hit on the turbo flat out)
    Max from VO2max test 203

Must get the test done again and see where in at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

F'ck all y'all. 38 years old resting heart rate of 64!

Ah here......you're a bit stressed..

Check it everyday and always around that. Lowest I've ever had at peak fitness was 50. I'm not on bike much due to issues with shoulders but I'm not far off fitness. Can run sub 25 5k which is ok and can row 5k in sub-19.

Anyway, I was just trying to buck the trend. I'm wondering if people with higher rpm are reluctant to post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

terrydel wrote:
    Well I'm slightly surprised by how many sub 50's, as I thought I was doing well!

Mine has been established with my Garmin first thing in the morning and with an app on my phone. Both done over several days to try and remove other variables.

I take it when I've been lying flat out first thing. I'd be interested to hear if that isn't the best way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Check it everyday and always around that. Lowest I've ever had at peak fitness was 50. I'm not on bike much due to issues with shoulders but I'm not far off fitness. Can run sub 25 5k which is ok and can row 5k in sub-19.

Anyway, I was just trying to buck the trend. I'm wondering if people with higher rpm are reluctant to post.

A low resting HR is not the ultimate indication of fitness. Jacque Anquetil, 5 time winner of the TDF was reported to have a resting heart rate of 48, but his recovery from a high effort was phenomenal. Another 5 time winner, Miguel Induarin's resting HR was 28 at the height of his powers. 20bts difference, both elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Resting: 49

Max 167

I am now the "220 - age" guy. IIRC that formula has a standard deviation of 11 so it's not that great in terms of prediction.

A few years back resting was 46 and max 168. The lower one caused a small amount of consternation at a company medical.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    A low resting HR is not the ultimate indication of fitness. Jacque Anquetil, 5 time winner of the TDF was reported to have a resting heart rate of 48, but his recovery from a high effort was phenomenal. Another 5 time winner, Miguel Induarin's resting HR was 28 at the height of his powers. 20bts difference, both elite.

I realise this, which is why posted my own relatively high rhr

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

You also have a National Champion medal. I wonder how many sub 40/50 HR's in this thread have one of those... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

32 yrs old, max HR 197

Not sure what my min is, never checked it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

49.99 yrs of age,

RHR 63

Max HR 191

A little OT but for anyone with an interest in cardiac matters as they apply to athletes, elite or not, the athletes heart blog is a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

RHR: 52
    Max: 175

I had open heart surgery (mech aortic valve, arch and double by pass) 18 months ago which changed my figures a bit!
    before:

RHR: 47
    Max: 190

My avg HR for the same effort/time now though is very much lower but its like i hit a rev limiter at 175.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

nilhg wrote: »
    49.99 yrs of age,
    Welcome to the 50s, be it today, tomorrow, Wednesday or Thursday.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

is a higher or lower max HR good or is it all a sign of individual physiology?

Advertisement