Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hunger pukes or something else?

• 24-06-2016 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭

Bailey has been getting what I had put down to hunger pukes on and off the last few weeks. I had been giving them a bigger biscuit before bed..but then Lucy was sick last week so got out of the habit.. The thing is the noise from his tummy is unreal - squeaking and gurgling really loud. The first time it happened I jumped up in a panic thinking he had bloat :eek: but he just gave me his paw and then lay down and had me rub him for ages lol! When it happened at the weekend I have him a biscuit in the hope I could go back to bed and he didn't want it at first... then ate it and puked it up. This morning he got sick 5 times(!) The last time it was after we'd been to the park where all he did was eat grass - he puked up the ball of grass and didn't want any breakfast.. then after Lucy was finished hers he seemed to perk up and asked for something and seems fine now.

Does anyone else's dog have a loud tummy like that if they were going to have hunger pukes? He hasn't had anything new or unusual any time it's happen. I'm going to give him a small meal before bed I think for the next while and see if it happens again. He was crying to us last night for pets and we didn't know what he wanted!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

I'd be very weary and would see the vet asap.Hunger pukes are grand but 5 times??also restless behavior..no I'd see the vet.I'd be afraid of pancreatitis or something like that which has those symptoms as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

4 out of the 5 were from stuff he'd eaten minutes before so I'd be happy enough that his tummy couldn't handle it because it was upset. It wasn't 5 bouts of random puking

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Don't think that sounds like hunger pukes (a new name has been coined ;)), he might just have a low-lying tummy bug... But I'd still be a little wary. When was his last blood test?

DBB wrote: »
    Don't think that sounds like hunger pukes (a new name has been coined ;)), he might just have a low-lying tummy bug... But I'd still be a little wary. When was his last blood test?

Last bloods were 2 months ago and all good. Poos are fine and he's in good form.

I'm assuming the bloods were tested for all the usual suspects, not just thyroid function?

• Advertisement

I'm assuming the bloods were tested for all the usual suspects, not just thyroid function?

Yeah the works and no probs. He also gets probiotics/kefir most days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Could he have eaten something revolting when out walking, and is suffering the after-effects? One of my dogs treats walks like buffets - he nearly always manages to find something to eat :eek: - a lot of it is stuff dropped by overhead crows I think, or litter louts

tk123 wrote: »
    Yeah the works and no probs. He also gets probiotics/kefir most days

You'd have to think so that pancreatitis or anything serious is unlikely, though my own wee dog has autoimmune pancreatitis... Her bloods can be clear in between bouts.
    I'd just be a bit concerned at the multi-puking really. Though he's in good form, which is always a good sign :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

You'd have to think so that pancreatitis or anything serious is unlikely, though my own wee dog has autoimmune pancreatitis... Her bloods can be clear in between bouts.
    I'd just be a bit concerned at the multi-puking really. Though he's in good form, which is always a good sign :)

my lurcher is the same. I've switched to my own cooking for him, chicken,brown rice and veg, and exchange the chicken with liver twice a week. doing this for a year now, pancreatitis has never been back. thankfully he's not an outside hoover..but ye, that was my thought as well

Yeah possible he could have gotten something - he swims off into bushes most mornings the divil! >_< Also the river has like soap bubbles floating down it months too - nothing like what happened when all the fish were wiped out but there none the less. Keeping them out of the river is easier said than done!

• Advertisement

my lurcher is the same. I've switched to my own cooking for him, chicken,brown rice and veg, and exchange the chicken with liver twice a week. doing this for a year

Ah yes, the weekly shop for low-fat meats and treats is a familiar trip in this house too :D My little lady is a right little fusspot too, which makes it even more interesting :o

Ah yes, the weekly shop for low-fat meats and treats is a familiar trip in this house too :D My little lady is a right little fusspot too, which makes it even more interesting :o

MaxiZoo beef lung is great - €4.99 a bag, lean, crunchy and no stink factor like some other teats. Keep and eye on LivingSocial for the €12 for €20 vouchers and stock up ;)

Anyways I'd planned on taking him to the vets on Monday evening for peace of mind if nothing else but we landed there this morning when he hurt himself in the park(!) He seemed to have a hoppy leg so I decided to only take him as far as the park beside us and kept him on lead. I let him off to go to my friend to get a better look at how he was walking...next thing he had zoomies and then he was on the ground yelping and crying holding up his leg - he's never cried like that even after his operations :( so brought him over to the vets straight away. It's just a sprained toe and he doesn't usually let that (male) vet go near him but was very good and only cried when he manipulated the toe so thought asking about his tummy and having him examined would be too much for him!

I'll see how he gets on with the bigger snack in the evening - they thought it was christmas yesterday when I gave them both a small bowl of beed mince and veg lo!

Here he is after the vet examining his injury :o "I have a sore foot - see???" :

389842.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

My Leo has had a audible grumbling stomach for months. He's had two stool samples tested at €120 a pop. Nothing. He's had bloods done. Nothing. He's been on antacids and canigest. Still the rumbles came back.

When he's like that. And it was 99.9% in the mornings. He didn't want food and he'd only want to eat grass. Occasionally he'd puke up bile and sometimes the grass too. On walks he'd do two normal poos and then he'd start doing a lot of liquid squirts.

Now whilst he was like this he was on Markus Mühle and the on taste of the wild.

It made no difference with the food. Then it occurred to me that I was giving him cheese and occasionally probiotic yoghurt.

I wondered if he was lactose intolerant? So I stopped all dairy. And also changed him to James Wellbeloved duck and rice.

Since then he's only had one episode of stomach upset when I accidentally gave him a bit of left over pizza slice that my son only ate the pepperoni off. I gave him a couple of Rennie's and that sorted him out pretty quickly.

Also since he's been on the James food his poop production is way down and his already excellent coat is even better, which is hard to believe :eek:

There would be ructions if we didn't share our pizza with the dogs lol!! They only get the crust though :p He's been fine since - even on the metacam which can upset their tummies so still keeping and eye on him for now. My vet does 2 evenings a week so I may still take him on Thursday evening for a checkup anyways.

Advertisement