Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal and Brexit

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Penfailed wrote: »
    Good for you. Not so good for me. I'm paid in sterling and all my bills are in euro :(

Ah but you've been rolling in the cash for ages with the weak Euro and Strong pound, it's time for the rest of us to get a chance! :D

Roll on the parity!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

It's going to be a short term benefit. The UK is not a manufacturing economy any more. Most products are imported so a weak pound will drive up prices. Some tech companies have already increased the price of phones, laptops etc. this week. Enjoy the cheap cross border shopping while you can.

Technique wrote: »
    It's going to be a short term benefit. The UK is not a manufacturing economy any more. Most products are imported so a weak pound will drive up prices. Some tech companies have already increased the price of phones, laptops etc. this week. Enjoy the cheap cross border shopping while you can.

There are loads of things that will not be affected by the currency change, like used cars. They will become even cheaper than before! AWESOME!

Its just getting better and better. I excitedly refresh my currency webpage every few hours, watching as it heads towards 90p for a euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A lot of Irish producers, including farmers, won't be happy with a weak pound.

It makes Irish exports into the UK more expensive for them to buy, so our sales may suffer. And we sell A LOT of stuff to the British.

It can all have a knock on effect, so be careful what you wish for.

I'm wishing for 1 for 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm wishing for 1 for 1.

No exporter in the country is, though.

Its already now in a situation where its well below an old Punt and that period when we were (less than now) above Sterling in 96ish was pretty painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Ah but you've been rolling in the cash for ages with the weak Euro and Strong pound, it's time for the rest of us to get a chance! :D

Roll on the parity!

Now you're just trolling. That's very much an, "I'm alright Jack attitude." Have a bit of empathy.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

L1011 wrote: »
    No exporter in the country is, though.

Its already now in a situation where its well below an old Punt and that period when we were (less than now) above Sterling in 96ish was pretty painful.

Irish inflation has been negligible in that period while there has been 10%+ in the UK and there will be more now. So things are not too out of balance for the moment. Brexit should have no effect on income tax, as it is not connected to the EU and the tax agreements will not change. Passport type things are improbable. The real danger is customs type things and these are most likely to affect agriculture, as it is likely to be left out of any agreement.

And used cars could end up with 10% duty!

Penfailed wrote: »
    Now you're just trolling. That's very much an, "I'm alright Jack attitude." Have a bit of empathy.

I'm not trolling. I spend a fortune in the UK. I'm about to buy a fishing boat and the savings are going to be fantastic. Finally something good!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 evancostello

we are a small business in the North West and we already feel the impact. It is immediate and unfortunately I cannot see it get better

• Advertisement
Advertisement