Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warranty item or not?

• 24-06-2016 3:28pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys,
    My workmates bought an 08 car 2 months ago.l from a small dealer.
    Today the water pump failed and dumped it's load of coolant everywhere.

Not the worse thing in the world €365 supplied and fitted by local Atlas.

Would this be a warranty item?

Receipt specifically says engine and gearbox for 3 months.

My gut feeling is no, not a warranty item as the dealer has washed his hands of it and had not offered anything towards it or any helpful advice tbh.

General opinion of a warranty item or not?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,210 ✭✭✭mikeecho

If the warranty only covers engine and gearbox.

Then it's not covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Technically an engine ancillary so they could weasel out of it that way, but I'd hope they would look to cover it.

VW by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think it should be covered, certainly if he went to small claims court he'd win.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

mikeecho wrote: »
    If the warranty only covers engine and gearbox.

Then it's not covered.

That's my opinion also.
    R.O.R wrote: »
    Technically an engine ancillary so they could weasel out of it that way, but I'd hope they would look to cover it.

VW by any chance?

Bmw 520d 2008.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    I think it should be covered, certainly if he went to small claims court he'd win.

I mentioned that to him at first that I thought it should be covered then j thought that maybe it's a perishable item but said for the small outlay go small claims court!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's an ancillary, but at the same time you still have basic rights as a consumer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I would at least expect dealer to do a good deal on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,210 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I wonder how the timing belt is ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭Cerco

I think it is a chain but the question remains.

Cerco wrote: »
    I think it is a chain but the question remains.

That was the reason for picking this car. Full replacement carried out by M&G Bmw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

kceire wrote: »
    Guys,
    My workmates bought an 08 car 2 months ago.l from a small dealer.
    Today the water pump failed and dumped it's load of coolant everywhere.

Not the worse thing in the world €365 supplied and fitted by local Atlas.

Would this be a warranty item?

Receipt specifically says engine and gearbox for 3 months.

My gut feeling is no, not a warranty item as the dealer has washed his hands of it and had not offered anything towards it or any helpful advice tbh.

General opinion of a warranty item or not?

If it's already been done you've little chance of getting anything off the dealer, the first point of contact should have been the dealer not a completely different company.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    If it's already been done you've little chance of getting anything off the dealer, the first point of contact should have been the dealer not a completely different company.

And the first post in this thread states that the dealer got told about it straight away and he washed his hands of it saying it's not covered ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭Cerco

Frustrating but at least it was not too expensive. Bad form and maybe foolishness on the part of the dealer.
    The dealer cost would have been low and the kudos very good had he replaced the pump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Water pump should be definitely covered under the engine. It's one of the basic components required for an engine to run for a useful amount of time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

shietpilot wrote: »
    Water pump should be definitely covered under the engine. It's one of the basic components required for an engine to run for a useful amount of time!

I'd agree and if not, an engine and gearbox warranty is even more useless than I knew it was.

Advertisement