Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protecting others

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭SVJKarate

Mellor wrote: »
    Jump into somebody elses row, and beat up the attacker, you'll be judged according most likely.

And of course, unless you've been there from the very start, it may not be clear who is "the attacker" when you view somebody else's row. Get involved at your peril, unless you have enough support to simply separate the parties engaging. The best way to get involved may be to take pics / video, and call the Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

A very recent documentary on the Bujinkan Headmaster, Hatsumi Sensei, has some little bits on the things I've talked about after 26mins - protecting others, use in mental health industry etc. Just ignore the purple hair :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U_BdyxwHj0

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Mellor wrote: »
    But say the guy lunges at you, you duck under, double leg and pin him there until the cop arrive. That's reasonable actions imo. I imagine most would see it that way.

So if the guy smashes the back of his head off the concrete and winds up dead or cabbaged will the jury accept it was reasonable because it never occurred to you that performing a double leg on an untrained opponent in the real world is far more risky than doing it in a gym with a training partner?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nathan G

I think this entirely hinges on the circumstances relating to the situation. Using reasonable force when you can is the better option however on an extremely determined and aggressive opponent it can get you work against you. Also the justice system is bit of a rabbit hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Bambi wrote: »
    So if the guy smashes the back of his head off the concrete and winds up dead or cabbaged will the jury accept it was reasonable because it never occurred to you that performing a double leg on an untrained opponent in the real world is far more risky than doing it in a gym with a training partner?

Reasonable actions can have unforeseen consequences. They two aren't mutually exclusive.
    The same could happen if you punch him once in self defense. Or even a timid push away could result in he tripping and ending up cabbaged. Not all takedowns, punches, kicks etc are equal. Intention is a huge part of it.
    I think there's vary too many variable to discuss it in a general context.

Where somebody clearly instigated an attack a certain amount of force in self defense is considered. From what I've read, stopping/continuing once subdued is a major part of the reasonable assessment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement