Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest Roll On Grass?

Options
  • 24-06-2016 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Well folks, I'm currently doing up the garden including levelling and putting down a new lawn. Even though reseeding is cheaper I'd rather put down roll on grass because it's the middle of summer and it'll be nearly over by the time it establishes itself. Can anyone recommend to be the cheapest place to buy roll on grass? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭TheClubMan

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭renov8

I'm no expert on this but i'm going through the same process at the moment so can offer my two cents: steer clear of the rolls. There are a number of reasons for this:

1. My information is that even when rolls are laid you have to wait a number of weeks for it to bed in before using it/letting kids or pets on it.
    2. In the time it takes for it to bed in you will almost be at the stage where a seeded lawn will be usable. I put down seed on a front lawn in April and I was happy to let kids walk and play on it after a month. It was still a little patchy and thin but felt it was strong enough. Any seed put down now would likely establish even quicker.
    3. The cost. I will be seeding my back garden this week. It should cost around 40 for the seeds. I researched rolls and it would easily have come in at around 700. That's a massive difference. Can you really justify that for the sake of 1-2 weeks of use?
    4. Depending on the size of the area, ordering rolls today will not mean delivery tomorrow. It could take a couple of weeks by which time seed could be well on its way.

Hope that helps, I gave it a lot of thought and am happy with the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NewDYI

Hi
    I am doing the same myself so I have checked a few places. Here is what I found
    prices are around 7-8 euro per roll , but B&Q sells I think is 5 rolls for 20 euro , you will need to check for the prices , they told me the shelf life is 3 days so prices are reduced on the 3rd day, and you could take advantage of that . I will be doing that myself . Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NewDYI

One thing that I forgot to say that you will need to lay it straight away , or the same day, otherwise they say the grass would be too dry and half dead

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

renov8 wrote: »
    I'm no expert on this but i'm going through the same process at the moment so can offer my two cents: steer clear of the rolls. There are a number of reasons for this:

1. My information is that even when rolls are laid you have to wait a number of weeks for it to bed in before using it/letting kids or pets on it.
    2. In the time it takes for it to bed in you will almost be at the stage where a seeded lawn will be usable. I put down seed on a front lawn in April and I was happy to let kids walk and play on it after a month. It was still a little patchy and thin but felt it was strong enough. Any seed put down now would likely establish even quicker.
    3. The cost. I will be seeding my back garden this week. It should cost around 40 for the seeds. I researched rolls and it would easily have come in at around 700. That's a massive difference. Can you really justify that for the sake of 1-2 weeks of use?
    4. Depending on the size of the area, ordering rolls today will not mean delivery tomorrow. It could take a couple of weeks by which time seed could be well on its way.

Hope that helps, I gave it a lot of thought and am happy with the decision.

Sorry but this is nonsense. If roll turf is problematic (and I greatly disagree) then seeding an area is even a bigger headache. Of course seed will be cheaper, but that is really the only advantage seed has over roll turf alternatives. The latter make better lawns and establish more quickly. Of course there is a settling in phase, but it is much longer with seed and you have weeding, patchy growth, birds etc etc etc to manage.

Roll turf looks better, and comes at a price, but @ € 10.00/sq m S+F who would want anything less?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

NewDYI wrote: »
    Hi
    I am doing the same myself so I have checked a few places. Here is what I found
    prices are around 7-8 euro per roll , but B&Q sells I think is 5 rolls for 20 euro , you will need to check for the prices , they told me the shelf life is 3 days so prices are reduced on the 3rd day, and you could take advantage of that . I will be doing that myself . Hope this helps
    4 quid a roll for that rubbish in B&Q? sure it looks half dead on day 1, nevermind day 3!
    I got mine from Summer Hill lawns near Trim. €4.30 a sq m if collecting, the delivery price depends on the amount.
    I put mine down 6 weeks ago, had a lush lawn in 10 days, and at this stage you can't even see a single join. Only downside, I have to mow twice a week, it grows so well :-)

http://summerhilllawns.ie/wp/

Sorry but this is nonsense. If roll turf is problematic (and I greatly disagree) then seeding an area is even a bigger headache. Of course seed will be cheaper, but that is really the only advantage seed has over roll turf alternatives. The latter make better lawns and establish more quickly. Of course there is a settling in phase, but it is much longer with seed and you have weeding, patchy growth, birds etc etc etc to manage.

Roll turf looks better, and comes at a price, but @ € 10.00/sq m S+F who would want anything less?

Fair enough, each to their own. I suppose what it boiled down to for me was that the time needed to keep an eye on weeds/birds/patching was worth the saving! I also think it's nice to see the process of the lawn grow from nothing to lush green.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Fair enough, each to their own. I suppose what it boiled down to for me was that the time needed to keep an eye on weeds/birds/patching was worth the saving! I also think it's nice to see the process of the lawn grow from nothing to lush green.

Speaking from a professional point of view and 25+ years of experience, a sown lawn takes one growing season to become established, turf grass (roll out lawn) takes about 4 weeks, when you pay for turf grass you are paying a marginal extra amount for the convenience of an instant lawn, it simply boils down to the time issue.
    As a wise man once said, "you think a professional is expensive?, wait and see how much you have to pay after an amateur is finished".

Speaking from a professional point of view and 25+ years of experience, a sown lawn takes one growing season to become established, turf grass (roll out lawn) takes about 4 weeks, when you pay for turf grass you are paying a marginal extra amount for the convenience of an instant lawn, it simply boils down to the time issue.
    As a wise man once said, "you think a professional is expensive?, wait and see how much you have to pay after an amateur is finished".

You calling me an amateur? ;)

Just curious, but how do you define 'established'? I put seed on my front lawn 2 months ago and I am more than happy to go out there with my son and play kick a ball on it (he's only a toddler so no slide tackling or sliding knee celebrations). I'd also take issue with your definition of marginal.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

You calling me an amateur? ;)

Just curious, but how do you define 'established'? I put seed on my front lawn 2 months ago and I am more than happy to go out there with my son and play kick a ball on it (he's only a toddler so no slide tackling or sliding knee celebrations). I'd also take issue with your definition of marginal.

Established is a lawn that has a good strong root system and a healthy sward and that usually takes a full growing season, sometimes it takes less time and in some circumstances it can take more.
    Surely shirley you'd have to know my definition of "marginal" before you could take issue with it:pac:.

• Advertisement
Advertisement