Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi lost property not handed in?! Where is it?

Options
  • 24-06-2016 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

What do honest taxi drivers do when items are left in the back of their taxis
    They're supposed to hand them into one of six Garda stations that handle lost property. But after having the misfortune of having to deal with losing items twice in the last few months, it doesn't seem they do it all?!
    Making the most likely assumption that most taxi men are honest human beings, what do they do if they're not handing them in?!
    My own experience is having left a backpack with a hoody inside in the back of a taxi. Is that guy now DEFINITELY wearing my hoody and using my backpack!! :D. Possible yes, but seriously bloody frustrating!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Unless it was valuable I would say the taxi driver just dumped it. Backpack and hoodie?? Replace and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Sold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

You are probably better off remembering to check the taxi before you get out! I've never left anything in a taxi, even after a night out.

2 times in 6 months is the real problem :o

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭burkey2k0

Elemonator wrote:
    You are probably better off remembering to check the taxi before you get out! I've never left anything in a taxi, even after a night out.

I know I know, I usually always do. It's just so annoying that there's a way for people to get their stuff back from taxis, but the taxi men don't bother!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

burkey2k0 wrote: »
    I know I know, I usually always do. It's just so annoying that there's a way for people to get their stuff back from taxis, but the taxi men don't bother!

I suppose it would be very difficult. I wouldn't have even known to check Garda stations for lost property.

Some taxi drivers probably aren't bothered too. It'd be a trip across wherever. Most probably wouldn't return it unless it was valuable or of sentimental value.

Hope you find your stuff anyhow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

More likely the next person in took it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

When I was a taxi driver I never checked the back seats after each fare. Very possible the next fare got in and found the item and said nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

You should certainly definitely maybe do it in future then :P

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

Stop victim blaming the OP! Just because he leaves usually forgets his stuff in a taxi is not his fault. That's victim blaming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

It is his fault.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It's not their job to check. It's your property so you mind it, that's what I tell my 5 year old about his toys/iPad etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,428 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If you use Hailo then you always have a comeback as you can get the mobile number for the driver. I retrieved an expensive pair of ray bans that way that I left in the back of the cab and had fallen on the floor.

I use Hailo full stop as the drivers are the most professional, courteous and friendly out there. Most likely due to the fact that they are visible, identifiable and accountable to the customer and Hailo also. The dodgy ones, which there are quite a few don't want that kind of exposure and accountability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I had a cab for five years, if I ever found anything (usually a mobile phone when it rings) I went out of my way to return it or leave it in a Garda station ~ but it really is a pain in the ass.

I rarely checked the rear of my cab so if anyone ever left anything there which I didn't find at the end of the night or next morning I'd have to assume another passenger found it and took it.

I'd hope that most drivers are honest enough and would return items found or at least leave them at a Garda station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I've often been in the backseat of a cab and found something there. The driver would have no idea if it had been left on the seat directly behind him.

I'd tell him it was there but some folk would just rob it because some folk are dishonest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Sometimes the taxi driver doesn't see the lost items. Sometimes it's the next passengers who find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

OP - Often the next passenger will take items. In other cases it can often take a few days before a driver gets to hand stuff in as they have to go to certain stations and find parking and then queue for anything up to 20 mins to hand in your bag or hoodie, so time out of work and parking fees.
    Taxi drivers are about as honest as society in general so some will always hand in decent stuff and some wont.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

AlanG wrote: »
    Taxi drivers are about as honest as society in general so some will always hand in decent stuff and some wont.

A bag and a hoodie though? I wouldn't have thought the owner would have gone looking for it if I found it. I would have binned it as something cheap and disposable

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

I lost car keys in a Taxi and went into Store Street to see if they were handed in. Garda let me have a root through a massive box full of keys but mine weren't there. He told me that what ever Garda station keys or anything get left in thats where they stay they don't get sent to a central station. I live in Dongahmede so if the taxi driver was from Tallaght and handed them into his local station then thats where they stay. Pain in the arse really.

Advertisement