Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine Broadband

• 24-06-2016 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

So they are rolling out this service in Mayo and I've signed up for it during the week. 60 quid a month for 70Mb speeds with a 20Gb daily download limit. The min they guarantee is 20Mb. €150 installation fee and my installation should be in August.

Just sharing in case anyone is (like me) struggling for broadband options.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Where are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Where are you?

Islandeady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

Is westnet mixed up in this off If remember they had a thread on here saying they where going down this route.
    20 GB a day is a lot wounde what happens if u go over it.

naughto wrote: »
    Is westnet mixed up in this off If remember they had a thread on here saying they where going down this route.
    20 GB a day is a lot wounde what happens if u go over it.

No, AFAIK the Westnet (who I'm currently with) thing is separate. If you go over 20Gb, your speed is throttled to 5Mb till midnight of that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Brannaman

I intend to sign up as well. On 3Mb with Eir and have just been told that my monthly bill is going up by €7 for sports channels I could not watch so I'm gone. I don't know if they have gone live here yet or just live for presale, it will be interesting to get early reports.
    The link posted by Naughto gives a heap of great info lots of it too technical for me.
    Actually the minimum they guarantee is 30mb, the rep. told me that I can exit the contract if I cannot maintain more than 30 and one poster was refused a service because 30+ could not be achieved.........read Naughto's link.

Castlebar going live by end of August..........no specific date. Re. the phone charges, anyone with an interest in calls out of state should ask. I got 3c per. min. to U.K. and 5c to Near Europe.
    According to the rep. I dealt with there were 40 slots remaining in the Castlebar mast at about 1pm today.

What mask will u be connected to

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

naughto wrote: »
    What mask will u be connected to

The Mask of Zorro... .:D:):o:p

Castlebar......I gather the next nearest is Ballina. I did find a map showing the masts but I cannot locate it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Had Imagine fitters here at dinner time. They have gone and I just did a speedtest using the ethernet cable connected directly to the router. I am 10 kilometres away from the mast in Ballina.

I was with Eir and for the same price was getting top speed of 2.5Mbps but usually would have 1.5 and sometimes below 1. I know a donkey carrying a letter would be faster than Eir's service

I was stunned to get 91 Mbps on the test. So fast my Laptop was shaking! Took the cable off and the wireless speed dropped to 78 Mbps.

Now, I was paying 59 euro a month with Eir and the same price now includes local and National calls. Imagines customer service can't get any worse than Eir's so for me I win all round.

So far so good.

TT

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

TopTec wrote: »
    Had Imagine fitters here at dinner time. They have gone and I just did a speedtest using the ethernet cable connected directly to the router. I am 10 kilometres away from the mast in Ballina.

I was with Eir and for the same price was getting top speed of 2.5Mbps but usually would have 1.5 and sometimes below 1. I know a donkey carrying a letter would be faster than Eir's service

I was stunned to get 91 Mbps on the test. So fast my Laptop was shaking! Took the cable off and the wireless speed dropped to 78 Mbps.

Now, I was paying 59 euro a month with Eir and the same price now includes local and National calls. Imagines customer service can't get any worse than Eir's so for me I win all round.

So far so good.

TT

Sounds good. U lost 13 megs from wired to wireless? Something up with the router?
    I imagine (no pun intended) that speed will reduce when contention increases?

I was a couple of rooms away to be honest, in the old part of the cottage, and the router is a 1/4 the size of the old Eir one.

I just got my post and there is a letter from Eir saying my package is increasing by 5 euro a month too........ Oh no it isn't!

TT

Can you post up some speed test at some stage

Here you go

[IMG]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/<a href=https://postimg.org/image/m9kd2ixgn/ target=_blank>[/img]IMG_20160721_WA0000.jpg
    IMG_20160721_WA0000.jpg

That one was on the day of fitting via cable, the below one is just now on wifi

DSCN3557.jpg

TT

I meant to add that everything has gone smoothly so far, (touch wood), my old landline number was ported across yesterday. Imagine did provide a temporary one.

Chatting to the fitters who have been working Mayo for the last couple of week's, about 10% of their tests on properties are under 30 meg so they are classed as failures. The average speed is in the 60 - 70 meg range.

The only issue I have is that Youtube hasn't liked the switch and refuses to download in Hi-def.... haven't worked out why or how to fix it yet.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Here you go

[IMG]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/<a href=https://postimg.org/image/m9kd2ixgn/ target=_blank>[/img]IMG_20160721_WA0000.jpg
    IMG_20160721_WA0000.jpg

That one was on the day of fitting via cable, the below one is just now on wifi

DSCN3557.jpg

TT

Pretty decent download speeds.

Heres a comparison chart showing speeds from when I changed from Eir to Imagine. I need to do some evening tests as well.

http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=55dd273744b97f6a4166d698813e5e41&ria=0

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Hennesm

I live about 2 miles from Ballina , was thinking of changing to imagine . Am with sky and get about 2 meg. Is imagine worth the change ?

No idea what you pay with Sky or what your speeds are like. For me it was cheaper, light years faster and so far more reliable. A no brainer really.
    The fitters did a clean job and my old number was ported over in the time frame they said it would although there is a glitch with outgoing calls from a temporary number.

A few of the local farmers have been over and will be/have booked in with Imagine when they see the speeds I get.

The mast is in a field behind the station so if you can see it so much the better.

TT

• Advertisement

Wondering if anybody here has gone live in Castlebar area? Two very efficient men arrived to me yesterday morning. They were initially concerned about a clump of trees between house and mast but very soon decided there was no real issue and left about an hour and a half later...........all done and dusted. Am not allowed to post but speed peaked at 95Mb this evening, currently about 84. Beats the hell out of 3.4 from Eir.

I'm on the Ballina mast but have similar speeds to you.

Ironically I had a chat with a research company this evening who have been instructed by Eir to do a survey of recent ex-Eir customers to try to establish why customers have been leaving them in larger than expected numbers.

The last questions was ridiculous... "What would it take for you to return to Eir"? I couldn't help bursting into laughter.

Eir needing to pay another company to establish the answer to that one shows the quality of their senior exec's!

TT

Brannaman wrote: »
    Wondering if anybody here has gone live in Castlebar area? Two very efficient men arrived to me yesterday morning. They were initially concerned about a clump of trees between house and mast but very soon decided there was no real issue and left about an hour and a half later...........all done and dusted. Am not allowed to post but speed peaked at 95Mb this evening, currently about 84. Beats the hell out of 3.4 from Eir.

Not yet. Got an e-mail 10 days ago saying that they be in touch in the next few days. Still waiting. Have resisted the temptation to call them up so far, bu reckon I'll have cracked by Monday if I don't hear from them.

Glad it's working well for you so far. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

I see they have no coverage around the Newport area yet, that's a shame.
    We're currently with Westnet and its a solid connection but its hard to do anything on 4mb, especially with Netflix on.
    I'll keep an eye on their coverage map and will probably order if they do come out our way.

Interestingly our meteor 4g is above 20mb since the mast was upgraded, before that we just about had voice signal and never had internet on our phones.

corsav6 wrote: »

Interestingly our meteor 4g is above 20mb since the mast was upgraded, before that we just about had voice signal and never had internet on our phones.

Hmmm. Interesting how poorly performing ISP's suddenly start getting their acts together when real competition move in. Eir increased their prices the day I signed up to Imagine, under the cover of providing an alternative to Sky Sports. Their latest advertising campaign advertises ths service for 'free' despite increasing their prices just before.

I had 5 years of crappy, intermittent 1 - 2ish meg BB with appalling customer service and they now wonder why I left!

I haven't suffered from any contention issues yet. Speeds are averaging out at around 80 - 85 meg.

TT

Hmmm. Interesting how poorly performing ISP's suddenly start getting their acts together when real competition move in. Eir increased their prices the day I signed up to Imagine, under the cover of providing an alternative to Sky Sports. Their latest advertising campaign advertises ths service for 'free' despite increasing their prices just before.

I had 5 years of crappy, intermittent 1 - 2ish meg BB with appalling customer service and they now wonder why I left!

I haven't suffered from any contention issues yet. Speeds are averaging out at around 80 - 85 meg.

TT

I'd be curious to see to see how many Eir will lose and if they actually do something. I can't see them investing in the infrastructure in rural Ireland, so will probably let it go.

Indeed, but there is an irony in the full page Eir promo in the Advertiser promising farmers in Mayo 1000...that's... One Thousand Mb.. by sometime soon. Flipping fantastic how that can be generated all of a sudden.

Just in case any farmer or other rural dweller is wondering what to do I was getting 92.89 wired 10 minutes ago. The big kick I found was being able to totally fast forward and indeed backward a movie on You Tube. I know, I'm easily pleased...........but I couldn't do it last week.

Brannaman wrote: »
    Indeed, but there is an irony in the full page Eir promo in the Advertiser promising farmers in Mayo 1000...that's... One Thousand Mb.. by sometime soon. Flipping fantastic how that can be generated all of a sudden.

Just in case any farmer or other rural dweller is wondering what to do I was getting 92.89 wired 10 minutes ago. The big kick I found was being able to totally fast forward and indeed backward a movie on You Tube. I know, I'm easily pleased...........but I couldn't do it last week.

And one in Connught Telegraph facebook page now as well..... good to see someone put it up them their fake promises! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

theres a big thread on roll out here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

folks,

quick question for those who got the imagine broadband installed. I live in swinford, we have the signs up in the town and imagine have it on their site thats its "live" in swinford. I signed up to get the broadband last friday, rang today to see if i could get an appointment for the engineer to do the install, and was told the area is not currently live, and will not be until october!! Has anyone had similiar expierence with imagine..

Advertisement