Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit and Ireland

Options
  • 24-06-2016 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi lads, sorry, long time lurker. Whats the story since UK left EU,
    1) Who is responsible for our air defense? (I mean proper air defense)
    2) Who is responsible for our sea defense? ( Not just Fishery protection)
    3) Are UK flights allowed to fly over non-EU airspace?(I know that we will have to come to some agreement)
    4) Just spitballing, and just kinda future planning, if this sticks, should we start putting near future budgets into a "proper" defense strategy(i.e. naval & air), or just wait and see? Can we rely on a EUFOR to protect this ickle nation?
    5) "If" we are to become the only EU/UK border in Europe, should we expect an influx of "tourists" within the next year or so?

P.S. How much could we rely on the rest of Europe(TBH if our fisheries/mineral rights protection are at stake, how much do the French, Dutch, etc. care?

TIA, Anto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭sparky42

Hi lads, sorry, long time lurker. Whats the story since UK left EU,
    1) Who is responsible for our air defense? (I mean proper air defense)
    2) Who is responsible for our sea defense? ( Not just Fishery protection)
    3) Are UK flights allowed to fly over non-EU airspace?(I know that we will have to come to some agreement)
    4) Just spitballing, and just kinda future planning, if this sticks, should we start putting near future budgets into a "proper" defense strategy(i.e. naval & air), or just wait and see? Can we rely on a EUFOR to protect this ickle nation?
    5) "If" we are to become the only EU/UK border in Europe, should we expect an influx of "tourists" within the next year or so?

P.S. How much could we rely on the rest of Europe(TBH if our fisheries/mineral rights protection are at stake, how much do the French, Dutch, etc. care?

TIA, Anto

1) Whatever "formal/informal" agreement was between the UK and Ireland I don't think anything will change in that regard.
    2)Not sure what you mean, we patrol our waters to the extent that we can and nobody else cares (with NATO/Russian Sub's most likely happily going through our waters. That's not going to change and there's not realistic maritime threats in the North Atlantic.
    3)Flights will continue as is, might be interesting in terms of regulations/the EU traffic control project though.
    4)Doubt it, short to medium term any spare monies that were planned are going to end up being used to plug the gaps Brexit will cause. I doubt given the state of the EU funding of Defence departments I can't see any of them making an issue of our funding levels.
    5)Depending on what the UK gets they might have shot themselves in the foot and get bounced in Schengen (if they want to keep Swiss/Norwegian style access to the EU) so who knows at this stage.

Who exactly do you think is going after our fishing/mineral rights to a degree that it's an international incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This is an important point. Should the UK leave the EU (I dont think it will be triggered in the end), Britain and Ireland have no umbrella organisation or commonality other than the UN, which is nothing special.

In that event, there is no reason the UK should be asked or agree to provide QRA air intercept over our airspace.

A full air defence control and task radar and fast jet intercept / CAP capability is a minimum for Ireland as a sovereign nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭sparky42

Larbre34 wrote: »
    This is an important point. Should the UK leave the EU (I dont think it will be triggered in the end), Britain and Ireland have no umbrella organisation or commonality other than the UN, which is nothing special.

In that event, there is no reason the UK should be asked or agree to provide QRA air intercept over our airspace.

A full air defence control and task radar and fast jet intercept / CAP capability is a minimum for Ireland as a sovereign nation.

A formal defence agreement wouldn't be affected by the UK leaving the EU (as it's not an EU thing), but then we don't actually have any sort of formal agreement.

Given Merkel's changing view on defence (the German military is actually getting planned budget increases), and seeming like there's a view the EU nations should be spending NATO level, who knows long term. Certainly I think the proposed Radar system in the WP should be looked at sooner than later.

Advertisement