Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a new gaming PC, need help & advice

Options
  • 24-06-2016 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hey everyone,

My current PC is starting to show its age and am having trouble running some modern games at the settings I want, so I decided it's time to upgrade. My plan is to build a whole new PC, but some of the parts from my current PC will be carrying over to it. Bear in mind that after building my current PC, I "went out of the loop", I'm not really up to date with current tech. Here's what I'm looking at right now:

CPU: Intel i5 6600k
    GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390X
    RAM: Corsair 16GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2666MHz
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X-UD3 Skylake
    SSD (OS and main programs): Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
    Case: IN Win GR One
    Extra case fans: (4x) Arctic F12 120mm
    CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer i30

Carrying over from current PC

PSU: be quiet! Pure Power BQT L8-CM-730W
    HDD (storage - music, videos etc): 1TB Blue WD10EZEX
    DVD Drive: Plextor-891SA (though I'll be installing Windows 10 using an ISO on a USB)

Cost of buying all the new parts comes in at around ~1000euro (from geizhals.de) or ~1160euro (from scan.co.uk)

Here are some questions:
    1. there is some new Radeon series GPU coming out soon - Solaris or something. This isn't going to be a rushed build - are they worth waiting for?
    2. I probably will be doing some amount of overclocking. Should the 730W PSU be sufficient (for everything)? I'm not a big overclocker but I want the option.
    3. what is the motherboard that I've chosen like - in terms of overclocking and general features? My current motherboard (last one too) is a Gigabyte one (though AMD platform), and I've liked both of them.
    4. as I said, the SSD will be for the OS and for main games/programs. I've watched some reviews and it looks pretty darn good for the price - what are your opinions?
    5. what is the case that I've chosen? I'm after cooling performance, not looks. I'm also, as you can see, going to be buying and installing extra fans.

One last question. When I built my 1st PC, I bought all the parts from scan.co.uk. I trust them and would buy from them again, but what have you guys heard about that German site, geizhals.de? There's a noticeable price difference.

That's all that comes to mind. Thanks in advance for the help guys. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

AMD RX 480 (Polaris) looks to be offering performance around or above R9 390x, while drastically cutting power requirements/heat.

Reviews will be out in 5 days.

The Freezer i30 isn't great for overclocking - probably go for a water cooler?
    Like their Liquid Freezer 120: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/02/11/arctic_cooling_liquid_freezer_120_aio_cpu_cooler_review/1

Geizhals is a price comparison site, they just send you to the best deals.
    Many boardsies would buy from MindFactory.de

Your selected motherboard can handle up to DDR4-3466, so I'd look at the prices of DDR4-2800 or DDR4-3200; if it's around same price, buy that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Arhur_Dayne

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    AMD RX 480 (Polaris) looks to be offering performance around or above R9 390x, while drastically cutting power requirements/heat.

The Freezer i30 isn't great for overclocking - probably go for a water cooler?

Geizhals is a price comparison site, they just send you to the best deals.
    Many boardsies would buy from MindFactory.de

Your selected motherboard can handle up to DDR4-3466, so I'd look at the prices of DDR4-2800 or DDR4-3200; if it's around same price, buy that instead.

Hey, thanks for the anwer.

From what I've read the 480x will also be considerably cheaper than the 390x, is that true? By the way, where did you see those results?

The only reason I chose that cooler is I was initially going to be ordering from an online site (PCS), and that was the best they offered for price/performance. My current cooler (AC 13 C.O.) works fine but I haven't been able to find the Intel mounting bracket. I'm not hugely into OCing so I never had temperature issues, so watercooling was never needed, and it's something I don't really trust anyway. Certainly not doing it myself. :P

Regarding the RAM, I'll look into different speeds. I'll take a look at mindfactory also. How reputable are they? I've ordered from scan multiple times and trust them wholly.

Also, instead of buying extra case fans, could I just transfer the ones from my current PC case (Lian-Li Lancool PC-K63) - 1x 120mm and 4x 140mm? I don't see why they wouldn't be compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Case fans will be yeah.

Mind factory are grand. Most of us use them no bother, though if you'd prefer Scan or Amazon obviously go with who you're comfortable with

Mind factory are grand. Most of us use them no bother, though if you'd prefer Scan or Amazon obviously go with who you're comfortable with

Price isn't really the main point of concern, I want to buy from a reliable website. I've been stung on a certain occasion buying stuff off dabs and it's left a stain. I've been very cautious about how I do my shopping online since...

• Advertisement
Advertisement