Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refund onto cancelled card

Options
  • 24-06-2016 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Bought an item today for a present and came home to realise she already had one. I had to go to work so I gave my OH the item and the receipt to return it. They accepted it but they needed my card (which I paid for it on) to refund it. He didn't have it so in his infinite wisdom he handed them his recently cancelled bank card. That seemed fine, til the ATM inevitably ate his card. I'm wondering now where the money is, as the way I see it the money wouldn't be heading to his account as it was no longer valid? And if the store has a way to see if the money refunded or is still on their system? I won't be able to visit the store until Monday and am just wondering where we stand

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Talk to the bank that provided the cancelled card. Slap the OH.

If the cash has gone AWOL, talk to the store - they have rather seriously screwed up under most shops refund policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

rawn wrote: »
    Hi all. Bought an item today for a present and came home to realise she already had one. I had to go to work so I gave my OH the item and the receipt to return it. They accepted it but they needed my card (which I paid for it on) to refund it. He didn't have it so in his infinite wisdom he handed them his recently cancelled bank card. That seemed fine, til the ATM inevitably ate his card. I'm wondering now where the money is, as the way I see it the money wouldn't be heading to his account as it was no longer valid? And if the store has a way to see if the money refunded or is still on their system? I won't be able to visit the store until Monday and am just wondering where we stand

Why / how was a refund being paid through an ATM ? The desktop / handheld card readers would have been the norm, and they can't "eat" anything ?

Why / how was a refund being paid through an ATM ? The desktop / handheld card readers would have been the norm, and they can't "eat" anything ?

I took that as proof the account was closed.

If the account still exists its irrelevant what card was used to refund to it, the money will get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

He get the refund then went to an ATM to check his balance. Had no problems at the card reader.
    L1011 wrote:
    If the account still exists its irrelevant what card was used to refund to it, the money will get there.

Even if the card was cancelled by the bank? He got a new card a few days ago but hadn't got the pin yet so it hasn't been activated. The old card was definitely cancelled, I'm surprised the card reader worked on it (if it worked on it that is )

rawn wrote: »
    Even if the card was cancelled by the bank? He got a new card a few days ago but hadn't got the pin yet so it hasn't been activated. The old card was definitely cancelled, I'm surprised the card reader worked on it (if it worked on it that is )

Yes, they keep records of old cards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Firstly it wouldn't show immediately, usually it takes 1-2 days for a refund to show. Similarly a retailer doesn't actually receive the money from a transaction for 1-2 days.

If the cancelled card is from same bank as new card, it may be linked up.

Simply have the oh to ring his bank to check.

As for L1011 - Retailer did nothing wrong. Also retailer didn't have to legally provide a refund. Card was given, refund went through, if there's any issue its with the bank that issued the card, not the retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

VincePP wrote: »
    If the cancelled card is from same bank as new card, it may be linked up.
    +1

If only the number on the card changed with the bank account staying the same, there should be no problem at all.

Will be a few days before the credit shows up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

+2

I've had my old credit card on my banking online for over a year now and when i make payments to that card, it still goes off my current credit card. IOW, the old card number is linked with the current cc account.

Advertisement