Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Looking for Bandit 600 03 -05, and what to look out for when buying

• 24-06-2016 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SasQuatch88

As the Subject says, I'm looking to pick up a Bandit 600, Naked preferably, but as I'm new I'm unsure of what to look out for when purchasing one. I've been told by countless people, Instructors, friends and family that they are a good, solid, reliable and value for money bike. Most bike have there strengths and weaknesses I'm just wondering what to look out for when making my first purchase.

Much appreciated ladies and gents.

Your friendly neighbourhood Sasquatch..

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Get a fazer or hornet.

Bandits are a lot heavier and down on power, bad build quality too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I've a 600 Bandit, savage bike, love it to bits, handles really well compared to the HD. Mine is 2000, 14 owners :-). Like with any 2nd hand buy, bring someone who knows bikes as I'm sure if we listed all the issues you'd never buy and each bike is different and doesn't have a set, set of things to look out for. I paid for the car check thing to ensure it was a solid buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Get a fazer or hornet.

Agreed 100% ~ and not just 'bad' build quality, they're poxy built quality.

A had them in work for a few years, IMO they're a scutterbox of a bike. A few years ago I was looking at a Bandit 1200 and although a completely different animal than the 600 the built, ride position etc just reminded me too much of the 600 so I didn't get it.

That said, I never had to pay for fuel or a machanic (as I said they were work bikes) or I've no idea what costs an owner might run into.

As the Subject says, I'm looking to pick up a Bandit 600, Naked preferably, but as I'm new I'm unsure of what to look out for when purchasing one. I've been told by countless people, Instructors, friends and family that they are a good, solid, reliable and value for money bike. Most bike have there strengths and weaknesses I'm just wondering what to look out for when making my first purchase.

Much appreciated ladies and gents.

Your friendly neighbourhood Sasquatch..

As a general rule you want to know when the oil, oil filter has been changed. The difference with bikes and cars is that most bikers do it themselves.

If the oil hasn't been changed regularly you are asking for problems.

What I would be looking out for is receipts, anyone doing their own servicing should have kept receipts for every time they have done a service or if its been in a shop have receipt's.

If the bike has over 30k kmh on it , it should have had a valve check \adjustment done on it. If it hasn't and the mileage is huge I would stay away, if the mileage isn't huge I would use it as a bargaining chip to knock money off.

Look at the frame for obvious signs of a crash. Get the front wheel off the ground and pull the forks towards you, is there much movement etc. Worn bearings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

One thing to be on your guard for with most bikes, Bandits included ~ is street fighters.. When I read 'Street Fighter' I think ~ 'cheap crash repair. Esp if they only went so far as Renthal bars, or Renthal and new forks or front wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Get a fazer or hornet.

Maybe a fazer but I ran a Hornet 600 for a couple of years and thought the handling was brutal, its front wheel doesn't feel right, cornering absolutely sucked, acceleration sucked, maybe I just bought a herring though.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

Can't go wrong with a Bandit. There is a reason why they are so many around, great bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

get a fazer, the paint wont start peeling off if you go over the ton

Advertisement