Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trustworthy UK car dealerships

• 24-06-2016 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what dealerships in the UK people have had experience with that they'd trust. Hard sifting through cars and having to research every garage. I know a couple of people that have been happy with Car Giant but wondering if there's any others people would recommend.

Didn't add in the UK buying thread as it seems to be more about the actual process but feel free to move if needed.

Looking for a diesel saloon around the €8-11k mark imported.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

any joy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have you tried going through the main dealers of the brand you are looking for, usually they will have a select used car listing across the entire dealer network?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd pay more attention to the car rather than the dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

I've bought from Arnold Clarke a few times in the UK.

Very easy transactions, however not much in the way of discount as the cars were both priced very keenly.

• Advertisement

Have you tried going through the main dealers of the brand you are looking for, usually they will have a select used car listing across the entire dealer network?
    Have had a look but they are priced a lot heavier from what I can see.
    I'd pay more attention to the car rather than the dealer.
    Agree but if people have had experience with certain garages particularly if anything has gone wrong after purchase i'd be keen to hear. Places that provided good service such as picking up from the airport, already having done AA checks etc. E.g. there looks to be an AA check and report already available for any car from here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have had a look but they are priced a lot heavier from what I can see.

That they are but you should be able to negotiate a discount of between 5-10% off the price on a straight sale, the likes of Cargiant and the other car supermarkets have no negotiation on price whatsoever, price you see is what you pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Have bought a couple from Motorpoint, very good operation but mostly nearly new cars.

Think i'm going to pay a visit to this crowd. V12 Sports and Classics

Have a good range and they get an AA inspection done on every car so it'll save me the cost of doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Think i'm going to pay a visit to this crowd. V12 Sports and Classics

Have a good range and they get an AA inspection done on every car so it'll save me the cost of doing so.

That's the most badly named dealership ever; I struggle to find anything with more than 4-cyls and no classics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭PGE1970

I bought in Scotland four years ago from this garage:

http://www.jamesglen.co.uk/

It operates from an industrial park but I did my homework on them before I went. They were a family business, great to deal with -picked me up from train station etc. The car was detailed (not valeted) and was immaculate. No problems after a further 60k miles in 4 years (touch wood).

I did my own RAC check. The tester rang me a few days before I was due to travel and spoke to me for about 30 minutes about the car and then sent me a very detailed report.

The garage had no issue with the car being tested by the RAC. If they had, I would have moved on. The test cost about €250 but I was spending close to €20k so it was well worth it.

There is good value but do your research and get your own test carried out before you travel. Make your booking deposit by credit card in case something goes wrong.

Other than that, good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Marcusm wrote: »
    That's the most badly named dealership ever; I struggle to find anything with more than 4-cyls and no classics!

That's strange. I was at their Hinckley site last year and their name definitely matched their stock. Looking at what they have now, it's like they're a completely different dealership! I wonder what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭squeekyduck

I live close to a second hand car dealer called Jeff White motors in Cardiff.

He has loads of stock that is mainly 1 - 4 years old, and has a range of small cars to luxury saloons. Some of the specs are decent but some look like ex rental as they are poverty spec. His prices seems ok and he is well regarded in the area.

I live a 5 minute walk from his place so if anyone wants help let me know.

Advertisement