Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Journey to Galway from Belfast [tolls?]

• 25-06-2016 1:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm driving from Belfast to Galway and looking from some advice on the tolls.

I'm aware of tolls on the roads according to Google. Are these expensive or can I prepay them? I'll be going via Dublin - looks like the easiest route. This means a toll on the M50, N4 and M1. How do I find the rates for these and how they are paid?

Edit: I'm now thinking that the roads are: M1 (€1.90), M50 (Internet post payment), N6 (€1.90), M4 (€2.90) and N6 (€1.90). Is this correct and do you have to give exact change at the barriers?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes they are the rates, exact change not needed for auto barriers but you will not get change unless you go to one of the manned tellers which are usually on the far left. The M50 toll is barrier free, you have to pay for it either online at Eflow.ie or at a Payzone outlet before 8pm the following day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Generally speaking....

The extreme left booth is manned and you can pay however you want and receive change.

The central lanes are 'basket collections' and you throw in your money. Has to be at least the minimum payment but you can use a 2 Euro coin for instance but you won't receive any change.

The extreme right hand lanes are usually for e-toll users only and don't take cash.

All lanes will read the e-toll tags BTW but for those that have them using the RH lane is the fastest.

There are lighting signs over each lane indicating their use - sometimes for instance there could be a couple of booths manned which would have a yellow 'drawing' of a booth operator or a red x to say a lane was closed.

Have a look at this video - it's actually one that you'd be using on that route about a minute in..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFmXv7Kk6O4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is what you will see

Have lots of change and use the cashier lane

p3edna1uig8ak3c1tmttewqyuvjxw4t

Toll locations and charges
    http://www.tii.ie/roads-tolling/tolling-information/toll-locations-and-charges/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Thanks, arrived with no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Just for the benefit of others, I know people who go from Newtownards (near Belfast) to Galway, they reckon the quickest way is via Enniskillen and Sligo. No tolls there. There's also a way you can cut off a few miles by bypassing Sligo Town.

• Advertisement

Road to Galway from Dublin is very boring, but a great road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

And if you want to pay by card as is the modern way, they only accept credit cards not debit cards.

Is there a map of ireland showing where all the tolls are, and what they cost?

I just went onto the M50 toll payment site. I entered my reg (as it is a northern car) and got the following message for my two journies. Was I not one it enough for a camera to pick me up???

Register for cheaper M50 journeys

Right now, it looks like you're paying more than you need to for M50 journeys.

Register for a hassle-free eFlow account to unlock savings of €1.00 per M50 journey with a Tag* account or €0.50 for Video account holders.

On top of that, you'€™ll never have to worry about the 8pm deadline again.

Tag* account holders can also use express lanes at all other toll plazas in the Republic of Ireland, meaning no more queuing and no more coins.

Online account management gives you a full, transparent breakdown of your payments and journeys.

Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Is there a map of ireland showing where all the tolls are, and what they cost?

Half way down the page. https://www.eflow.ie/driving-in-ireland/

Advertisement