Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jap import or not?

• 25-06-2016 8:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to transfer my insurance from a 1.4 golf to a 1.4 civic but my insurance company won't quote me because they keep saying it's a jap import.

I've sent them pictures of the engine etc and filled out decleration forms but they still wont transfer it.

Im 25 and have a full licence and I don't even know if my car is a jap import because the clocks are in mph.

How else can I tell for sure ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

rottie 11 wrote: »
    I'm trying to transfer my insurance from a 1.4 golf to a 1.4 civic but my insurance company won't quote me because they keep saying it's a jap import.

I've sent them pictures of the engine etc and filled out decleration forms but they still wont transfer it.

Im 25 and have a full licence and I don't even know if my car is a jap import because the clocks are in mph.

How else can I tell for sure ?

Look at the log book ,will have a import date on it if imported

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Metalrobe

If the speedo is in mph its definately not a jap. Indicator stalk should be on the other side of the steering column compared to a normal car if its jap.

If its a 1.4 its more than likely not a japanese import as their wouldnt be any point importing them when you could buy them here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Look at the log book ,will have a import date on it if imported

Il have a look at that soon thanks

Metalrobe wrote: »
    If the speedo is in mph its definately not a jap. Indicator stalk should be on the other side of the steering column compared to a normal car if its jap.

If its a 1.4 its more than likely not a japanese import as their wouldnt be any point importing them when you could buy them here.

So what side should the indicator be on if it's not a jap car ? That's what I'm thinking aswel , no one would import a 1.4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,058 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If the car was in the UK you had to change to an MPH speedo for the MOT.

Will motorcheck or cartell know if it's JDM? Some people import the strangest things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

You can also buy Micras, Starlets & Corollas here and there was thousands of those imported.

There were plenty of Jap 1.4s imported. Clocks are easy to change. Have you any pictures of the car or the reg even would help?

The indicators are on the left hand side of the steering wheel ? Il attach some pictures now with the reg showing

It's a jap import alrite, was first registered in Ireland in 2007.

Do I have any law here, I've had this car for 3 weeks now. My other car is sold so I'm paying for insurance and can't drive

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not a lot of hope Rottie. :( Jap import, Honda, a Civic, over ten years old, at 25 years of age? An insurance nightmare. The powers that be want them off the road. You could ring around brokers and the like, but chances are the quotes you get - if you get any - will be stupidly high.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Indicators on the left? Are you sure it's not an English import?

Also, try liberty insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The indicators are on the left hand side of the steering wheel ? Il attach some pictures now with the reg showing

Are you sure it's an import? The indicator stalk was on the right in JDM imports. Also JDM imports have no rear fog light built into the rear light cluster. Another point, the import civic had either a 1.3 or 1.5 engine, there was no 1.4 variant in Japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Wibbs wrote: »
    An insurance nightmare. The powers that be want them off the road.

and why's that ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

fryup wrote: »
    and why's that ??

Ours is not to wonder why, ours is but to pay and die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,485 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That car is a UK import. It's not JDM.

I read online aswel that if the VIN number starts with j then it's jap. And it does start with j. Any truth in that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Cheensbo wrote: »

The days of Liberty quoting for young males driving jap imports went along with the Quinn name.

I read online aswel that if the VIN number starts with j then it's jap. And it does start with j. Any truth in that ?

Jap built isn't the same as JDM import

Your car isn't a jap import.

There is a field on the registration cert that shows the previous registration number, this will be the old UK reg number. Check this number.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Jap built isn't the same as JDM import

Your car isn't a jap import.

There is a field on the registration cert that shows the previous registration number, this will be the old UK reg number. Check this number.

Don't have the logbook with me il check that out when I get home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Cheensbo wrote: »

The days of Liberty quoting for young males driving jap imports went along with the Quinn name.

My insurance disc says otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Don't have the logbook with me il check that out when I get home

Another way of recognising a JDM import civic is the blue vin late with the chassis number will be on the front slam panel on a JDM car and on the bulkhead behind the battery on a UK/Irish car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,328 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Motorcheck says it's a UK import.

Another way of recognising a JDM import civic is the blue vin late with the chassis number will be on the front slam panel on a JDM car and on the bulkhead behind the battery on a UK/Irish car.

The plate is right behind the battery anyway

bazz26 wrote: »
    Motorcheck says it's a UK import.

How can I check that out ? I need proof

I just entered the reg on their website for the free basic data but you would probably have to get a full report with more details than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What if it's originally Japanese, then imported and registered in UK and then registered in Ireland, would logbook say UK or Japanese as originally registered?

JDM models didn't get a 1.4 litre engine in that Civic.

Previous registration number. w38xan

Have I enough proof here

That registration should be listed on the Irish logbook too. I'd show them both.

bazz26 wrote: »
    That registration should be listed on the Irish logbook too. I'd show them both.

That's what I got it from the Irish logbook

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Previous registration number. w38xan

Have I enough proof here

That registration is from Reading UK. Registered 2000.

Insurance companies will run a mile - classic boy racer car, they'll have zero interest in insuring it except at massive premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Metalrobe

Its a nice car I'd sell it and put a few pound with it. You should get a 05-06 corolla not putting too much with it. Nice looking civics are making good money now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

AFAIK Your current insurer is obliged to continue to insure you regardless of the type of car you are transferring to unless it was against the public interest. Are they an insurer or a broker?

In respect to the car itself are they saying the car is coming up on their system as a Japanese import? or are they just using the word import as that would cover UK car also. If they requested pictures then they might be basing their assumptions on the square number plates that are usually on Japanese imports.

AFAIK Your current insurer is obliged to continue to insure you regardless of the type of car you are transferring to unless it was against the public interest. Are they an insurer or a broker?

In respect to the car itself are they saying the car is coming up on their system as a Japanese import? or are they just using the word import as that would cover UK car also. If they requested pictures then they might be basing their assumptions on the square number plates that are usually on Japanese imports.

They are a broker. They just said it's a jap I'mport and that's the reason I can't get insurance on it.

If they still refuse me is there anyway I can take it further? I'm not a child lik ffs if I wanted a car to speed In u wouldn't be buying a 1.4.. it's frustrating just looking at it

They are a broker. They just said it's a jap I'mport and that's the reason I can't get insurance on it.

If they still refuse me is there anyway I can take it further? I'm not a child lik ffs if I wanted a car to speed In u wouldn't be buying a 1.4.. it's frustrating just looking at it

Ring them up and ask for the same person, when you are put through then ask to speak to the manager and explain your situation to him or her. Give them the uk reg number also, ask them what are your options to prove it is a brit car and take it from there.

Thanks for all the help. Il ring them up Monday and hopefully il get a quote

• Advertisement

100% a UK import. Chassis number will be JHMEJ9

I used to insure those no hassle when I started driving 5 years ago, insurance is a disaster now! Liberty should insure it.

I rang up the brokers again today and he told me they have the right to refuse me if they don't like the car.

I told him I'm filing a complaint about axa and he said they'll probably insure me until my policy ends and then refuse the renewal.

So how can I file a complaint ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

I always thought this as well. Until i went to try and insure a 520d going from a 130bhp passat. They didnt like it and refused me cover. Theyre under no obligation to insure you if they do not like the new car.

LawlessBoy wrote: »
    I always thought this as well. Until i went to try and insure a 520d going from a 130bhp passat. They didnt like it and refused me cover. Theyre under no obligation to insure you if they do not like the new car.

A 520d? :eek: Not exactly a supercar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Don't they have to quote you on renewal if you get 3 refusals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,206 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Vicxas wrote: »

And then they can quote any amount.

millington wrote: »

19yo and 520 dont exactly go well together in the insurers eyes.

millington wrote: »

It's got twice the power of the car in the OP to be fair!

To be fair i wasnt refering to the OPs car. I was just shsring the experience i had trying to insure a car with the advice a previous poster on here said about insurers having to insure your new car if you already have a policy with them. Plain and simple they dont.

Vicxas wrote: »

Refused motor insurance
    An insurance company can refuse to sell you motor insurance as long as they are not in breach of equality law. However, if you ask for an explanation, they must write and tell you why.

If you are refused cover by three or more companies you can contact the Declined Cases Committee of Insurance Ireland. They will get an insurance quote for you (usually the first company you approached will be asked to quote) unless there are good public policy reasons why you should not be given motor insurance. It is important that you keep note of the order in which you looked for quotes.

Before the committee considers your case, you must first have been refused a quote in writing from at least three insurance companies. You can also contact the Declined Cases Committee in cases where you feel a quote is too high or the conditions attached are so severe that it amounts to a refusal to give you insurance.

Take note of the bold sections.

Still no luck getting insured on this. Have a question tho , I have open drive on my policy so can't I just drive the car through that ?

It says I can drive any car with the owners permission as long as the car isn't over 2 litre ?

So if I sign the car into someone else's name I should be OK to open drive it ?

I know the car has to be taxed and tested but I'm not sure if it has to be insured aswel ?

Advertisement