Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having trouble with WiFi in house with phone

Options
  • 25-06-2016 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I've vodafone broadband coming in upstairs and i can connect to it's wifi no problem upstairs. Signal is very bad downstairs though. Brick walls.

Downstairs I have another router that is physically conected to the upstairs router by cable (around the house) and i use it to connect up the xbox one and sky box. Works pretty well.

Up until recently the downstairs router would also create a wifi signal which I could connect to downstairs without issue. Suddenly a month back the wifi downstairs would not give internet access. I tried to fix it but no luck.

Had a bit of time yesterday and spent some hours again trying to fix with limited success.

I put a different router in downstairs. Set it to bridge mode. Set the DHCP on it to relay.

Laptop can now connect to either wifi and work fine. Sky box and xbox one (wired) still work.

Phone (Samsung Galaxy S5) connects to the upstairs (192.168.1.1) wifi ok. But when I try to connect it to downstairs it just brings up that routers login page !? 192.168.1.254.

I'm closw to giving up on this and just going for a powerline solution like (https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WPA4220TKIT-Powerline-Configuration-Smartphone/dp/B00GC3Z6I0?ie=UTF8&ascsubtag=176069050459c06cb50711e96b940904_S&ref_=dra_a_rv_mr_hn_xx_P1400_1000&tag=dradisplay0bb-21).

It's kind of wrecking my head !?

Any help would be appreciated on this. I'm not that great with routers/ip stuff but I'm not a beginner either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

brianon wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I've vodafone broadband coming in upstairs and i can connect to it's wifi no problem upstairs. Signal is very bad downstairs though. Brick walls.

Downstairs I have another router that is physically conected to the upstairs router by cable (around the house) and i use it to connect up the xbox one and sky box. Works pretty well.

Up until recently the downstairs router would also create a wifi signal which I could connect to downstairs without issue. Suddenly a month back the wifi downstairs would not give internet access. I tried to fix it but no luck.

Had a bit of time yesterday and spent some hours again trying to fix with limited success.

I put a different router in downstairs. Set it to bridge mode. Set the DHCP on it to relay.

Laptop can now connect to either wifi and work fine. Sky box and xbox one (wired) still work.

Phone (Samsung Galaxy S5) connects to the upstairs (192.168.1.1) wifi ok. But when I try to connect it to downstairs it just brings up that routers login page !? 192.168.1.254.

I'm closw to giving up on this and just going for a powerline solution like (https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WPA4220TKIT-Powerline-Configuration-Smartphone/dp/B00GC3Z6I0?ie=UTF8&ascsubtag=176069050459c06cb50711e96b940904_S&ref_=dra_a_rv_mr_hn_xx_P1400_1000&tag=dradisplay0bb-21).

It's kind of wrecking my head !?

Any help would be appreciated on this. I'm not that great with routers/ip stuff but I'm not a beginner either.

Turn off dhcp, don't use relay. Relay is for forwarding dhcp to another network, you want to extend your network here not make a new one. Let the other dhcp server answer all the requests. Also get a WiFi analyser so for your smartphone and make sure your wireless channels are well apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Turn off dhcp, don't use relay. Relay is for forwarding dhcp to another network, you want to extend your network here not make a new one. Let the other dhcp server answer all the requests. Also get a WiFi analyser so for your smartphone and make sure your wireless channels are well apart.

Thanks for the reply.

Should I turn dhcp off on just the bridge mode router ? But leave it on on main router right ?

I'll try the analyzer. I'm trying to ensure both my routers wifi channels are not the same right ?

brianon wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

Should I turn dhcp off on just the bridge mode router ? But leave it on on main router right ?

I'll try the analyzer. I'm trying to ensure both my routers wifi channels are not the same right ?

Yes, dhcp off on the bridged router, dhcp on on the main router.

On 2.4ghz some channels overlap so you need channels well apart at least 5 away. Use 1 and 11 if you have no neighbours using those.

So I turned off dhcp relay on the bridge router (SuperMario) and restarted both routers.

Similar issue. Laptop connects to either wifi without issue and works fine.

Phone initially connects to main router fine but then when I turn on downstairs router and try to connect to it I cannot browse any pages. When I then switch my phone back to the upstairs main router I cannot browse any pages also :(

Tried ipad 3. Works fine connected to upstairs. Doesn't work connected to downstairs. But works fine again when I switch back to upstairs.

On the analyser i get 3 other networks popping up intermittently.

Weak enough signals. Generally around channels 6-10.

Should I set my routers to 1 channel or leave on auto as they are?

In the pic. My routers are RED (vodafone/main router upstairs) and blue SuperMario (bridge). Sitting right beside SM atm.

389837.png

From my phone connected to the router downstairs i cannot access the router (192.168.1.254) but I can get to the upstairs router (192.168.1.1).
    From my phone connected to the router upstairs i cannot access the router (192.168.1.254) but I can get to the upstairs router (192.168.1.1).
    I cannot access the internet from either router on my phone.

Doing the wifi analyzer there now I was getting 3 other routers.

**I just don't get why my laptop can connect to either router and work fine on both.

Also, turning off the router downstairs allows my phone to access the internet again connected to upstairs.

Very frustrating.

• Advertisement

What make and model is the SuperMario device? When you say bridge does it have an Access Point mode? Have you connected it's LAN port to a LAN port of the other router? Where have you given the static IP, to the LAN or WAN?

Advertisement