Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need someone to help with router/wifi

Options
  • 25-06-2016 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Does anyone know a company or freelancer that they would recommend using who knows Internet/ wifi/ routers. I am trying to restrict usage on some internet sites after certain times and while everyone says it's easy I have tried two people so far who have not managed it. Happy to pay, just don't want time wasted. Am based in Dublin south. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Is it for home or a work place? You can put restrictions in place using a firewall.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Some more details would help, modem make/model number and router details if separate would be a start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

What's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Peterproby

It is for home. I am not looking for solutions on the thread as I just need someone to talk to me and agree a price. I will pay whatever as long as they can do the job. So all I want is a recommendation of someone who can come out look at problem agree a price. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Well obviously it's up to you if you want to spend money on that but most routers have a built in Firewall which you could use. Would probably take 10 minutes if we knew which router you had.

Who is your internet provider?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Peterproby

I know you all think it's easy but if you do give me your details come over and fix it and I will pay you. I am well aware of ISPs, firewall protocols but thy are not as effective as you think. So please does someone actually know someone - I want a person to call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Peterproby wrote: »
    I know you all think it's easy but if you do give me your details come over and fix it and I will pay you. I am well aware of ISPs, firewall protocols but thy are not as effective as you think. So please does someone actually know someone - I want a person to call

I hope you're aware that blocking these sites on your router will not stop them being available on mobile devices, smartphones etc. A simple hotspot on a smartphone would get around any block instantly. There is also the possibility to tunnel through your connection so you would need to block more than these sites, you'd need to block VPN, SSH and lots of other protocols. A simple Google would get the person around any block in minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

It's very likely that you won't be able using a normal home router, the firewalls are very limited, only effectively blocking unsolicited communication from outside.
    You can block direct access to some URLs and IPs, but that's the tip of the iceberg.

Companies put in place firewalls that have externally managed catagorisation of services and addresses, which they selectively whitelist and blacklist. Anything not categorised, or facilitating bypass is blocked.

If you don't want time wasted, then providing the make and model of your router would allow this to be determined in advance.

For mobile phone access vodafone offer that "secure net" subscription allowing the bill-payer to switch off internet to a phone on a schedule. Switching to a pay-as-you-go sim would still be a workaround.

Putting a power timer switch on the router might be more cost-effective for a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'll try and give the shortest answer here:

You can yourself, or pay somebody, set up OpenDNS on the router to filter at a DNS level. This is easy to dodge for somebody with a small bit of tech/google know how but is cheap.

OR

You can create a close to fully effective solution by doing SPI, blocking any tunnels, locking DNS to your FW only, transparent HTTPS interception (certs on every device, no smart TVs, no SkyHD boxes, no old phones ever), locked down like a corporate network. Exceptions would be needed for everything(eg consoles).

This will costs more than €1000 minimum + licensing + certs + maintenance.

Unfortunately there isnt much in the middle thats actually effective.

Advertisement