Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW iDrive F10 fubar after Valet yesterday, advice?

• 25-06-2016 11:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭

Go my 5 series valeted yesterday after bringing it home I noticed the joystick and menu button aren't working (rest of the buttons are working), it's obvious they've got liquid in it somewhere, is it a case of hope it dries out (what's the odds), would it be dodgy spray some ELECTRICAL contact spray on the button and controller.
    It was Autosmart pink liquid they used of course there denying that any liquid went near it but it drove in perfect and broken driving out so can only assume it was liquid.
    Any tips much appreciated.

It's this part isn't working..
    attachment.php?attachmentid=918519&stc=1&d=1380218230

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sounds like the controller is fubbered. Have you tried taking the panel off around it to see if there is liquid lodged underneath? Looking on ebay and a replacement isn't cheap. Not sure if one from a scrap yard would be any cheaper.

PS if going second hand be aware that the facelifted model from 2013 has a slightly different designed controller. Not sure if they are interchangeable as the idrive software is different too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I would take it to BMstuff here on boards. Let him investigate it and take photos of any liquis that may be around it.
    Then you have your evidence of what happened it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Auto Detail Valeting

Hi use technical alcohol spray some around the controller and use comprest air to blow out live to dry shut work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

There is no way I'm bring my f10 to a valet and let them do the interior :eek:

Whatever about the outside always do interior yourself unless it's a proper detailing company.

As the lads have said take it apart and see if it can be repaired, if not replace it.

Also document everything and take the valet company to the small claims court, file it online (if they don't accept it and cover costs to fix).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

3 Romania guys in the Local garage don't think I'd be up to much going down the small claims court route.

Joystick started working yesterday and menu button this morning but both not working again this evening. Must be some goo on the button contacts I'll give it a few more days and if it doesn't come back fully I'll remove it and see can I clean it some way.
    It's not forcing the sat nav menu anymore and I'm able to get into everything now through working buttons and steering wheel controls, hopefully it'll come right shortly.

• Advertisement

When electrical goodies of mine get wet, I use rice or dehumidifiers (note; i've actually never used rice, but its always mentioned so..).

Anyway, not the same thing, but a camera of mine had buttons that died due to wetness and wrapping it in a plastic bag with a dehumidifier thingy from homestoreandmore did the job after a few hours.

Obviously this is different as you can't 'airtight' the area, but would it be worth spending a tenner on a load of silica gels or dehumidifiers and leave them in the car for a while?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭mountain

Maybe a hair dryer would dry out any moisture left in there?

Advertisement