Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.ie or .com

Options
  • 25-06-2016 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

I've been using eBay for everything up to now, want to move away from that or make it an alternative. The problem is that I want to keep my business name as the website but it has already been registered as a .com, about 95% of business is outside Europe, maybe 70% purely in France and Germany. Should I expect to lose much business if I register as a .ie.

The other alternative is to come up with a different web address.

Edit. The address I would like is a shorter version of the business name, if I used the full name, an additional 6 letter (im a firm believer in size matters) so this may be another alternative

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There's plenty of domain extensions to choose from apart from .ie or .com
    We're seeing more and more businesses choosing to use a domain extension that reflects their business eg. business.plumbing or business.services etc., etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Both if possible. I don't think the six characters make that much difference as long as it's not excessively long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I'd buy both, and have one re-direct to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

jimmii wrote: »
    Both if possible. I don't think the six characters make that much difference as long as it's not excessively long.

The name I want is 13 letters, adding an additional 6 maybe a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

hairyslug wrote: »
    The name I want is 13 letters, adding an additional 6 maybe a bit much.

13 definitely more than enough! I'd consider an acronym possibly even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I'd worry more about how easy it is to spell - overall length doesn't seem to be as much of an issue in many cases .. (which struck me as odd)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Blacknight wrote: »
    I'd worry more about how easy it is to spell - overall length doesn't seem to be as much of an issue in many cases .. (which struck me as odd)

Two simple words, both in every day use, same as the 3rd word, but it will make it quite long, I really would like to go with a .com but concerned that it may just be to long. Having said that I did read something that said am address with regular wording cam be easier to remember than 3 or 4 (what would seem random) letters.
    My business will have very few regular repeat customers, at best every 1/2 years and chances are my hits will come from Google searches.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Bergmann

What about a top level domain? Then you can probably stick with the name you want.

Advertisement