Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internal door clear widths on first floor

• 25-06-2016 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭

Just checking through some information and may have caught a snag which needs dealing with.

The scenario is a typical semi-d with normal accessible Part M arrangement on ground floor. At first floor level, doors installed are 30" (760mm) wide leafs. The effective clear width is 705mm when opened. What is the minimum clear width on this? I would have understood that Part B applies (I know it's a dwelling with low occupancy) and minimum 'escape' clear width of 750mm applies?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

When was the house built?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Let's just say it's brand new!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

astrofluff wrote: »
    Let's just say it's brand new!

Brand new then it should comply with TGDM 2010 so the 750mm figure should be in play as you know.

Seems a silly mistake on the developer.
    I'd have to open Part M to confirm but there are allowances for the first floor of a single family dwelling given that anybody confined to a wheelchair will be at ground floor level only.

Cheers, I've opened Part M 2010. There is a paragraph on pg 115, right hand column, 3rd paragraph down:

Doors to rooms (other than cloak rooms,
    hot presses, etc), which can only be
    accessed by the use of steps or stairs,
    may have a minimum effective clear width
    of 750 mm.

My question would be, when reading down through Section 3.3 (circulation within a dwelling), does this paragraph relate to dwellings with no habitable room on the entrance storey? And any habitable room in a storey accessed by steps need only be ambulant disabled compliant hence the 750mm clear width requirement?!

Just seeking reassurance and maybe both Part B and Part M stating 750mm clear is enough! Something to mull over....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It was a typical spec for years gone by to go with 2' 6'' doors on first floor.
    No place for it nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

It was always 'beyond me' why door widths of 29.5/30" were allowed instead of giving a comfortable width. Wouldn't it save on blockwork!!
    To be serious I think that historically 'door opening' and 'door (leaf) width' were used interchangeably.

That's why 'clear width' wording is used. But what's funny is that in the measurement for clear width in Part B it allows ironmongery to project into the clear width while Part M is clear width between jamb and ironmongery.

Doesn't make sense, that; so TGD M trumps B. Interesting. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I don't think one "trumps" the other as such.

You just have to comply with both and one is more onerous than the other. You're still compliant with B if you meet M.

Living in an older house here and it's all 2' 6" doors. Not a one of them meets 750 though!

That was the intended meaning - the more onerous must be satisfied.:D:)

• Advertisement

I suppose the mentality is that a wheelchair user will need a full clear width straight through whereas under Part B most people can bend around the projection on an escape route - but yes M trumps B. Another thought on clear widths, take for example the clear width of windows, it being 450mm minimum, it allows for the escapee to maneuver at an angle out the window! You would pivot out a window when getting out.

You comments are very interesting as I had thoughts also about windows and their openings. I recall under the original/1992? TGDs the notion of 'clear opening'. We had a notional figure of an opening window that would satisfy that requirement. In those days friction hinges were very popular - ?still are? - but resulted in the window part that opened (I'm reluctant to use words like sash and casement as they are no longer pertinent or properly descriptive) moving in to the 'clear width' thus reducing the effective width. A top hung opening on an attic window is even more restrictive. However your idea of exiting at an angle or of pivoting is practical and correct.
    Thanks for your observation.

Advertisement