Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling, Portugal

Options
  • 25-06-2016 2:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have googled my question , but cannot find the answer.

What side of the road do you cycle on in Portugal? (I presume it's the right- like cars, but just making sure)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Yes, you cycle on the right. You will see the locals doing all sorts of crazy things but watch the experienced bikers and you will see that most of them obey the rules. If you are cycling on the N125 (the old main road along the algarve) you will come across some dreadful surfaces, it seems they stopped maintaining this road as soon as the A22 motorway was opened. Pedestrians will ALWAYS expect you to stop at crossings for them so much that they will just walk out in front of you.

Hi

I have googled my question , but cannot find the answer.

What side of the road do you cycle on in Portugal? (I presume it's the right- like cars, but just making sure)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Yes, you cycle on the right. You will see the locals doing all sorts of crazy things but watch the experienced bikers and you will see that most of them obey the rules. If you are cycling on the N125 (the old main road along the algarve) you will come across some dreadful surfaces, it seems they stopped maintaining this road as soon as the A22 motorway was opened. Pedestrians will ALWAYS expect you to stop at crossings for them so much that they will just walk out in front of you.

Thank you, any more tips ? ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Thank you, any more tips ? ; )

If you are staying anywhere near Tavira the best place to hire bikes is here http://www.abiliobikes.com/en/

€13 a day for a decent Orbea MTB and away you go on the ecovia.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Gasco

If you are staying anywhere near Tavira the best place to hire bikes is here http://www.abiliobikes.com/en/

€13 a day for a decent Orbea MTB and away you go on the ecovia.

+1 for these guys, rented an Orbea Avant from them for a few spins in the area. Primarily used the N125 which is good enough to cycle on, but the margins are in need of attention in places so care is needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Gasco wrote: »
    +1 for these guys, rented an Orbea Avant from them for a few spins in the area. Primarily used the N125 which is good enough to cycle on, but the margins are in need of attention in places so care is needed.

Do they deliver and pick up, do you know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

Primarily used the N125 which is good enough to cycle on, but the margins are in need of attention in places so care is needed.

Actually in Portugal at the moment and would seriously recommend not cycling on the N125 ... it's the equivalent of cycling on the M50 except that the surface is like the worst Irish boreen!! If you are staying on the Algarve get inland into the hills - the roads are quiet, scenic and the surfaces are far better than in Ireland! I've cycled 90+Kms/1000mts per day for the last four days and it's been fantastic .... highly recommend it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Do they deliver and pick up, do you know

All in the space of 60 seconds....point 7 http://www.abiliobikes.com/en/faq/
    :D

RE: Delivery

Yep - we stayed in Cabanas; they delivered / collected from our apartment.

Rui was the guy I was dealing with mostly, v nice guy. They are not great at getting back on e - mails, but I gave them a call when we arrived and there was no problem getting a bike - though I do think that they are mostly rent MTB and touring bikes.

They supplied spd - sl pedals on request, and I also rented a helmet from them.

Pining for a trip to the Algarve, or anywhere sunny (says he looking out and seeing that I am likely to get soaked on this morning's spin).

Enjoy!!

C3PO wrote: »

Actually in Portugal at the moment and would seriously recommend not cycling on the N125 ... it's the equivalent of cycling on the M50 except that the surface is like the worst Irish boreen!! If you are staying on the Algarve get inland into the hills - the roads are quiet, scenic and the surfaces are far better than in Ireland! I've cycled 90+Kms/1000mts per day for the last four days and it's been fantastic .... highly recommend it!

I was there in mid / late May, so traffic was quite light. I imagine it would not be nice with higher volumes ok. It was more the variability of the road surface for me, one minute cruising along nice tarmac with plenty of room on the margin - then it disappears completely!!!

Advertisement