Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

84X summer timetable change

• 25-06-2016 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Just as an FYI for anyone who uses the 84X - the 18:10 (non-timetabled but reliable) service from the city centre wont be running over the summer months. Now there is just the 17:50 and then the 18:30.

I'm not sure why, as the bus isnt really used predominantly by students? But just so noone else gets left like I did yesterday standing at a bus stop for 35 minutes!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

The 84x heading back to Greystones is getting more and more busy. Half seem to get off between Stillorgan and Leopardstown though.
    Last year I was able to get it home during the summer (my nearest stop is Donnybrook) but my partner gets on in town and has advised it is still very much as busy so I only risk it if I can get one of the earlier ones and still have to get the dart and be hopeful for connecting bus.

I have written to Simon Harris on it and he seems to be taking it somewhat seriously. Dublin Bus couldn't give two sh!tes. He wrote to them and sent us the reply which conveniently avoided answering any of the questions put put to them. It was a work of art. I have also overhead bus drivers having a good laugh at how full the 84x gets in the evenings when most of the passengers clear off by Cabinteely.

Not good for the blood pressure at all at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I've said it before and I will say it again. The 84x should be pick up only as far as Loughlinstown. I'm out of that neck of the woods now but it used to drive me mad the amount of people getting off the 84x after a couple of stops. They don't realise or don't care that it's the only way home for some commuters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

d31b0y wrote: »
    I've said it before and I will say it again. The 84x should be pick up only as far as Loughlinstown. I'm out of that neck of the woods now but it used to drive me mad the amount of people getting off the 84x after a couple of stops. They don't realise or don't care that it's the only way home for some commuters.
    Excellent idea but how to implement it is the problem. Once the bus stops how do you stop people getting off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The bus does not stop at certain bus stops. The bus driver tells people the bus does not stop where they want and if this is a problem to use alternate routes such as 145 in future. What's difficult to implement?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

The bus does not stop at certain bus stops. The bus driver tells people the bus does not stop where they want and if this is a problem to use alternate routes such as 145 in future. What's difficult to implement?
    So the bus does not stop until it gets to Loughlinstown, ok. That sounds good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Bus stops for pickup but if there is nobody to pick up, it doesn't stop. People run the risk of shooting past their stop. And like Joeytheparrot said, remove certain stops from the route to deter even further. It might cause some hassle for a few genuine users but I'd rather an extra 5 - 10 minute walk to the next stop and be guaranteed a spot on the bus. Especially in the winter when it gets absolutely manic.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

I agree, that unless someone is getting on at a stop, the bus should not stop. It is the only way that it can be done. There are certain stops, such as Foxrock Church or Cornelscourt, where a lot get off but often there are few if any getting on. People would soon learn not to take that chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That's the whole point of X routes anyway. They don't stop at every stop!!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

As an example, yesterday evening, 10 people got off at Stillorgan, with nobody getting on. If the bus was not stopping, those 10 would have not been let off until at least Brewery Road. And to save what, a couple of minutes by not getting the 46A or 145?

Advertisement