Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ex rental car? Or other options for 10k

• 25-06-2016 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi,

Have been keeping an eye out for a new car and have come across a Hyundai i20 for a very reasonable price (over my budget but I could stretch if needed). It's a 152 and has 18k km on it, so thinking it must be an ex-lease car? Would there be another more likely reason for this mileage?

Also would like opinions on the i20. It's a 1.2 petrol - I've been looking for a 1.4 engine, as at the moment I would be on the motorway 2-3 days a week. However, this is only for the next 6 weeks and after that I don't know where my job will take me... I could be based in Dublin city.

Would I be better looking an older car but with a bigger engine anyway?

I have around 10k to spend so open to suggestions.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The new i20 is a decent car and the 1.2 is fairly puchy for what it is.

That car will still hace a 4 year unlinited mileage warranty on it so what's the worst that could happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Z10k seems good price for it. Keep in mind they're discounting new ones too, not as cheap but probably not far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Chr15

Thanks for replies. It's making me consider it more and more. Might try view it this week.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Z10k seems good price for it. Keep in mind they're discounting new ones too, not as cheap but probably not far off.

This i20 is a bit more (13k). My budget is around 10k but I can probably stretch to add the extra bit if the car checks out.

Does your job location change a lot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Personally I'd wait 6 weeks and see where you end up working.
    No point in spending over your budget now if you are going to be paying Dublin rents next August.
    If your current car is not totally past it I'd stick with it for the duration.

• Advertisement

No, I don't move a lot, it's just that jobs in my field are hard to get so I'm taking on 6 month contracts at a time at the moment whenever one comes up. Ideally I'd be based in Dublin as that's home, and I wouldn't be paying any rent there.
    I jsut had a look at the car specs compared to what I'm driving at the moment, and the 1.2 is more powerful than my old 1.4. I was worried about driving a smaller engine but the newer car should be ok.

Just wondering, if I am paying cash, how much of a discount could/should I expect to get with a dealer if I were to make an offer on a car? (I know I saw something about this in a thread on here before but can't find it again.)

It comes down to what the car is costing the dealer vs what the asking price is. You don't know what they bought it for so you won't know how much margin they give away.
    You need to compare it with other i20s to get a feel for how good value it is, then compare it with other small cars like fiesta, Rio, Yaris etc etc to see what 152 models if these will cost.
    Pay as little as possible obviously, haggle, negotiate, etc etc, but the more homework you do on alternative cars, the better you'll be able to figure out a realistic bottom line price that you're haply with.

If the car is the cheapest example around, and the car is being sold by an establishment you don't feel right about, then you really have to not let your heart take over and convince you this is the sake of the century.
    Damaged ex rental car for example is a possibility. Don't just assume because it's nearly new that there can't be a story attached. Get a once-over by a mechanic or knowledgable person.

Now looking at donedeal, there are a few base model i20s in Wexford that seem to be ex rental. They're very early regs so that explains the high mileage.

Just gonna mention this one. Only 60bhp but still. Ford are doing deals on the fiesta as its out a good while, don't know the story with this one, credit union prize or something maybe.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-fiesta-1-25-60ps-m5-5dr-4dr-new-car/11497847

Colm (and others) thanks for all your help!

The high mileage doesn't bother me as my annual mileage is low (I've done 40k miles in the last 8 years). That ford looks great too. I used to have a fiesta and I loved it (until my brother crashed it). Will take a look into it and make a few calls this week. Thanks again

There are a good few 15 reg fiestas out there for less money. Keep in mind the 1.2 is slow in them, the 1.0 is faster.

My issue with high mileage rentals is that statistically they just will have been damaged/repaired in some way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement