Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3rd-party check on manufacturer-approved used car?

• 25-06-2016 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Is it necessary to perform the usual 3rd-party checks (history etc.) on a manufacturer-approved used car that supposedly already has these done? A bit wary about independence here.

Looking at an Octavia from a Skoda dealer under their approved used car programme. Is there any value in this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yeah, if you want to be certain. To be fair it's not like they won't retail cars with gaps in the service history or that had previous damage etc as part of this approved used car thing.

Most people will just convince themselves the one from the main dealer is perfect and they ca always fall back on the warranty if it isn't.

Depends how much you're spending really. Can you get a 2 year warranty on used Skodas at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yeah, if you want to be certain. To be fair it's not like they won't retail cars with gaps in the service history or that had previous damage etc as part of this approved used car thing.

Most people will just convince themselves the one from the main dealer is perfect and they ca always fall back on the warranty if it isn't.

Depends how much you're spending really. Can you get a 2 year warranty on used Skodas at the moment?

Thanks Colm, pretty much as I expected. Dealer is looking for about 17k for a 3 year-old petrol, but there aren't many available so I'm not sure if this is fair or not. An equivalent new one is about 26k.

Standard warranty is a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

That warranty is not really enforceable if the car will collapse at a crash or goes sideways...

In my (very picky in fairness) search for wheels half a year ago I've seen cars with significant damage at the reputable dealers, and I am not talking about bumper or fender replacement...

My favourite was a 25k car with roof filled and painted and couple of windows replaced (I'm guessing a fallen tree). Has been sold since to a happy buyer I guess...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Thanks Colm, pretty much as I expected. Dealer is looking for about 17k for a 3 year-old petrol, but there aren't many available so I'm not sure if this is fair or not. An equivalent new one is about 26k.

Answer to yourself - is it worth paying 17k for a perloved one with unknown history or spent that 17k and finance the rest over 3 years and get a new one?

With new VAG gives three (you can extend to 5 IIRC), French brands and Hyundai - all give 5. Kia 7, Mitsubishi 8... Toyota not far behind... I wouldn't touch anything with less than 5 years these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Toyota is only a 3 year warranty in Ireland. Uk gets 5 years

If it's an Octavia TSI it would want a good warranty.

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    Answer to yourself - is it worth paying 17k for a perloved one with unknown history or spent that 17k and finance the rest over 3 years and get a new one?

My line of thought was that saving 9k on a good second-hand one (lowish mileage, assumed kosher history etc.) over a new one was a decent deal. Plan is to keep it long term, so the better resale on a new car isn't a big factor.

Cost is at the top end of what I'm willing to pay; going new doesn't look realistic.

If it's an Octavia TSI it would want a good warranty.

Even on a 2013 1.2TSI? I'm aware there are issues with some of the 1.4s and possibly some early 1.2s, but thought this size and vintage would be OK.

Any other comments on the 1.2 TSI reliability?

Advertisement