Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - Round of 16 - Wales vs N.I., 5 pm, RTE, BBC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Somebody please score please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

This is worse than Pulis ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

This is absolute scutter.

a perfect argument against adding more teams to the European Championships.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

But but wales are a 'dark horse':rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭El Chapo

Wouldn't wish that first half on my worst enemy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Not really since these two would have made it without the extra places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Crap altogether. Hopefully it will finish within 90 mins. Couldn't stomach extra time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

i can't see the second half being any different than that either

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

That went by pretty quickly considering nothing happened at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Coleman getting out thought by O Neill at the moment.

That's the first half summed up.

Football is putrid but was always likely to happen more in the knock out stages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Crap altogether. Hopefully it will finish within 90 mins. Couldn't stomach extra time.

You could just turn it off and not watch

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

far too much was made of Wales beating a pathetic Russia side.

NI topped thier group and wales finished 2nd in thiers they would be here regaurdless

Edit: MNG beat me to it

dfx- wrote: »
    far too much was made of Wales beating a pathetic Russia side.

Russia were terrible, they really were so so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Yeah but there have always been 3 or 4 of these type of teams in the tournament , no need to guarantee the knockout stages have to have this standard of team in them.

We're almost as bad in case anyone accuses me of ignoring our own failings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

NI yes, but Wales would have gone to playoffs, and played one of Albania, Croatia, Switzerland, Poland, Russia, Romania or Iceland. Most likely get in but I reckon they'd lose to Croatia, Switzerland and Poland so if they drew them, they wouldn't.

We also definitely wouldn't be watching NI past the group stages if you had 4 groups of 4 and top 2 qualify out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Duffer looks like he's got the part of Bob Crachit in the Ballyboden Players production of A Christmas Carol

titan18 wrote: »
    NI yes, but Wales would have gone to playoffs, and played one of Albania, Croatia, Switzerland, Poland, Russia, Romania or Iceland. Most likely get in but I reckon they'd lose to Croatia, Switzerland and Poland so if they drew them, they wouldn't.

We also definitely wouldn't be watching NI past the group stages if you had 4 groups of 4 and top 2 qualify out of them.

If I remember correctly Wales knew they were through with 2 games to spare so they may well have won it automatically if they knew they had to go for it in those games. It's all hypothetical.

You're right we wouldn't have NI here in the knockout stages under the old format, but then again neither would our team and I think most of us are glad we are.

I think it's early days to be critical of the format. I still give it a big thumbs up for the drama of the group stage. Admittedly this game is making my thumb veer downwards. :)

BBC with the biggest BBC Apres match moment there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Terrible half of football, but do we have to have the conversation about the expanded groups every single time this happens with one of the weaker teams? Knockout stages of both WC and EC always produce some sh!te games no matter how many teams take part. Was England v Italy any better last time round? Or any knockout game involving Spain in ether 2010 or 2012? Technically better football, but not in terms of entertainment.

Duffer looks like he's got the part of Bob Crachit in the Ballyboden Players production of A Christmas Carol

Nothing wrong with a bit of class.

Dallas and Davis standout players in the game.

Wales are second best here.

That's a blatant yellow. Ref is a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Ref is very whistle happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Wales not living up to their potential here. Rough stuff from both sides, really. High-ball scrappy British style football at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Probably needs an NI goal to liven things up as I can't see Wales losing if they go ahead

If I remember correctly Wales knew they were through with 2 games to spare so they may well have won it automatically if they knew they had to go for it in those games. It's all hypothetical.

You're right we wouldn't have NI here in the knockout stages under the old format, but then again neither would our team and I think most of us are glad we are.

I think it's early days to be critical of the format. I still give it a big thumbs up for the drama of the group stage. Admittedly this game is making my thumb veer downwards. :)

We also dont know how NI would have played the group stages had there only been 2 places up for grabs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭sjb25

Come on Wales for feck sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's neither blood and thunder enough or open enough. Volkes nearly in.

• Advertisement

briany wrote: »
    Bale is not living up to their potential here. Rough stuff from both sides, really. High-ball scrappy British style football at its finest.

TBH though did you watch them in qualifiers? I didn't but Saunders said this is how Wales games normally go and normally Bale or Ramsey do something and they grab a win from nothing. Are you expecting them to click and start spraying it around like Croatia or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Good chance there, great ball from Ramsey

Someone said on here a few days ago that George Hamilton needs glasses. Well he just screamed 'Baaaaalllllleeeee' when Sam Vokes had a header.

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with a bit of class.

Ah no he looks good in fairness. I wonder is he sponsored or does he have a bit of fashion sense himself.

Ah no he looks good in fairness. I wonder is he sponsored or does he have a bit of fashion sense himself.

He aged fairly well in fairness to him.

Up step Baler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Terrible half of football, but do we have to have the conversation about the expanded groups every single time this happens with one of the weaker teams? Knockout stages of both WC and EC always produce some sh!te games no matter how many teams take part. Was England v Italy any better last time round? Or any knockout game involving Spain in ether 2010 or 2012? Technically better football, but not in terms of entertainment.

God, does anyone else remember the Ukraine-Swiss last 16 game in 2006 I think? That is still today the worst game I have ever watched, and that is saying something considering I'm a Shels fan.

Bale range, this free-kick.

Free Kicky!

SantryRed wrote: »
    God, does anyone else remember the Ukraine-Swiss last 16 game in 2006 I think? That is still today the worst game I have ever watched, and that is saying something considering I'm a Shels fan.

Oh jesus you just brought back terrible terrible memories.

• Advertisement

He we go now, ball in the net and everybody can go home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

Great dive by Gareth in fairness.

I do believe we now have a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

McGovern's a rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Nordies are gonna nick this, can feel it coming a mile off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Having to watch Northern Ireland and Poland play again was not what I had hoped for after the first two games. They are so boring to watch.

Ledley for Williams...interesting

SantryRed wrote: »

That was unreal alright. I think the Swiss didn't concede a single goal in that tournament - the only team ever to do so in the World Cup finals.

• Advertisement

Having to watch Northern Ireland and Poland play again was not what I had hoped for after the first two games. They are so boring to watch.

Unless they both reach the semi finals you'll spared that.

Advertisement