Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Open University Degrees

Options
  • 25-06-2016 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I'm not quite sure where to start but here goes. The Brexit will increase fees for foreign students obviously,
    but how will this come about. The exchange rate will change overtime causing alot of uncertainty I'm I right
    in saying that OU Degrees will become cheaper or more expensive. Can someone explain this to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

cobzzq wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure where to start but here goes. The Brexit will increase fees for foreign students obviously,
    but how will this come about. The exchange rate will change overtime causing alot of uncertainty I'm I right
    in saying that OU Degrees will become cheaper or more expensive. Can someone explain this to me.
    I'd image anyone outside the UK would be classed as a foreign student and charged international fees although I don't know if Ireland will get around that with the 1949 republic of ireland act in westminster.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭cobzzq

So I take it that price will go up. A typical OU Degree is around 10.000 Euros minimum so to speak.

Well do check it out more but I understand under the current process for brexit that courses started won't be affected, it's the ones that are started after the UK leaves.

Is there any alternatives in the EU.
    Have a look a eunicas.ie for degrees taught through English in the EU.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

My understanding that due to changes to the fee structure a few years back, Irish students are already charge higher than Uk ones. So a weaken pound , short term, is advantageous.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/irish-students-in-uk-unlikely-to-face-hikes-in-fees-1.2702092

Looks like no change for new starts and current students which is a relief.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Manach wrote: »
    My understanding that due to changes to the fee structure a few years back, Irish students are already charge higher than Uk ones. So a weaken pound , short term, is advantageous.

That was due to subsidies being removed.

I am also interested in what happens with this as I am currently enrolled with a UK university on a distance learning course where they actually restructured (and made substantially more expensive) the fees recently. There was no effect on existing students, hopefully this holds true going forward.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I contacted them about this first thing on Friday morning and they told me they don't envisage any changes.

edit: they actually said they are working to get fees reduced for part time students and this would include Irish students.

important announcement from the UK government regarding Brexit
    Irish nationals enjoy separate rights, under various pieces of legislation, which allow Irish nationals residing in the UK to be treated in the same way as British nationals in most circumstances. There is no change to this position.
    UK.https://www.gov.uk/government/news/statement-the-status-of-eu-nationals-in-the-uk

I would advise though that even this could change as if negotiations get terse and the UK threatens to restrict free movement of EU citizens then Ireland would have to reciprocate.

Update on funding for next year for EU students.
    The government has today (11 October 2016) announced that EU students applying for a place at an English university or further education institution in the 2017 to 2018 academic year will continue to be eligible for student loans and grants - and will be for the duration of their course.

The decision will mean that students applying to study from 2017 to 2018 will not only be eligible for the same funding and support as they are now, but that their eligibility will continue throughout their course, even if the UK exits the European Union during that period.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/funding-support-for-eu-students

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Brexit has brought down our repayments nicely too. Just got a chunk of taxback for last years modules too so happy bunny! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement