Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Leaving Cert (2018) Off-Topic Thread :)

Options
  • 25-06-2016 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Since the thread for last year's 5th years was such a success, I thought I'd make a thread for us 4th/3rd years going into 5th year in September! The same rules applies for this thread as for any other thread- no spamming, cursing, boasting, bullying etc.

So to start this thread off:
    - Did ye enjoy TY?
    - What was the best experience of TY?
    - What subjects are you taking for LC bar English, Maths and Irish?

I really enjoyed TY because I came out of my "comfort zone", and I grew more outgoing as a result of taking TY.
    I had a number of experiences that I liked in TY, such as our outdoor education trip to Petersburg in Galway( not Russia!!!), Ice skating, going to Paris(abroad for the first time) and of course my 2 lovely work experiences.
    I'm taking Business, Economics, French, Home Ec and LCVP for LC. I could never pick a science because for me it is the hardest and most boring subject ever. I'm more of a business person.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Account Number

Coming in from third year (Finished the JC on Wednesday),so one of the younger ones..:p .Feels weird saying this but taking the Holy Trinity, Spanish, Biology, Chemistry and Business.I can't wait to start crying at Honours Maths! :o
    LLAMAMILK wrote: »
    I could never pick a science because for me it is the hardest and most boring subject ever. I'm more of a business person.
    Have to disagree with this, hated science in first year, but became my favourite subject come third year. Even look at my subjects, just can't resist them chemicals!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭L360

Coming from 3rd year:) will be doing home ec, business, french, biology and LCVP - These should keep my options open when choosing courses. Also dreading honours maths

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭LLAMAMILK

They've started teaching everyone in my year the leaving cert course for Maths during 4th year. It's really tough, and even the A students that I know are struggling to get 100% on tests. I'd say if your a C/B in Maths then stick with it because of the extra 25 points but if your really struggling and it's taking all of your time, then drop.

There's like 30 3rd years coming into my year next September which means my year is going to have like 130 people :0 . My year already dislike them and they haven't even met them! Unlike my classmates though, I'm not a 3rd year racist.

You'll both do great when you get yer results. The Junior is really easy to do well in if you study.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 louisoc

As someone who just sat the Leaving Cert, a piece of advice: honours maths is difficult, and I guarantee that at least half your class will drop to pass somewhere between the start of fifth year and the actual exam. If you think you can get a modest grade without sacrificing work in other subjects, stick with it - those 25 extra points will make your entire LC a lot less stressful - but if you are going to drop, do so as early as possible. You don't want to have put hours upon hours of study into an exam that you don't sit. You also don't want to be one of those people who drop on the day - OL maths is a different course which, while easier, should still be taught to you - because that could seriously psych you out.

louisoc wrote: »
    As someone who just sat the Leaving Cert, a piece of advice: honours maths is difficult, and I guarantee that at least half your class will drop to pass somewhere between the start of fifth year and the actual exam. If you think you can get a modest grade without sacrificing work in other subjects, stick with it - those 25 extra points will make your entire LC a lot less stressful - but if you are going to drop, do so as early as possible. You don't want to have put hours upon hours of study into an exam that you don't sit. You also don't want to be one of those people who drop on the day - OL maths is a different course which, while easier, should still be taught to you - because that could seriously psych you out.

Do u think u would need to get at least an A or B in the junior cert to be able for higher maths in the leaving? I get a C in the mocks and I feel I got the same in the junior cert. I understand it would depend on the amount of work you put into the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Manufan123

L360 wrote: »
    Do u think u would need to get at least an A or B in the junior cert to be able for higher maths in the leaving? I get a C in the mocks and I feel I got the same in the junior cert. I understand it would depend on the amount of work you put into the subject.
    I got a C in the JC with no Study and I got a B1 in my 5th year summer test.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 leimmxvii

If it makes you feel better, I also got a low C in mocks and ended up getting an A in JC

As a person just finished 5th year I'd advise paying for a years Studyclix membership (not overly expensive). I found it particularly helpful for biology, chemistry and accounting because the teachers will often make tests of past exam q's (well a few of mine did haha)

leimmxvii wrote: »
    I'd advise paying for a years Studyclix membership (not overly expensive). I found it particularly helpful for biology, chemistry and accounting because the teachers will often make tests of past exam q's (well a few of mine did haha)
    This was how I got through all the small class tests this year, :cool:.Still though, I feel got a high B at the lowest in all the JC tests,so who knows,I may be ok for Honours everything next year :p

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭lundrum

I'm taking it upon myself to revive this thread :p
    When are you all back?

lundrum wrote: »
    I'm taking it upon myself to revive this thread :p
    When are you all back?

I'm back tomorrow what about you?

• Advertisement

I'm back tomorrow what about you?

We were back on Friday but that was just sorting us into our classes. Getting into the actual stuff tomorrow haha.

We got all our classes bar the Big Three on Friday,but we get them tomorrow.(Lucky us)

What subjects are you guys doing :p
    I'm doing the Holy Trinity + physics, chemistry, history and French, and Applied Maths after school

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Stearinlys

I go back for 4 hours tomorrow and then I'm properly back on Thursday. I'm doing music, French, accounting and business and I'm not sure whether I'm nervous or excited to go back haha

Just remembered the TYs were told in the welcoming back speech they had to wear the uniform to avoid looking "cheap and knackerish". Are schools allowed say that? :confused: But sure our year head was telling us about a time he got hit with a curtain pole :P

Just remembered the TYs were told in the welcoming back speech they had to wear the uniform to avoid looking "cheap and knackerish". Are schools allowed say that? :confused: But sure our year head was telling us about a time he got hit with a curtain pole :P

Lol wth hahaha. Pretty sure they're not allowed say that:rolleyes:

I started back today in school but we are only in from 11 this week :). I'm actually over the moon with my timetable!! I'm doing Business, Economics, French, Home Ec and LCVP. We have such a big year group that we barely have enough lockers to accommodate everyone.

I started back today in school but we are only in from 11 this week :). I'm actually over the moon with my timetable!! I'm doing Business, Economics, French, Home Ec and LCVP. We have such a big year group that we barely have enough lockers to accommodate everyone.
    Me too! I'm actually really excited for the year ahead, I'm really interested in the subjects I'm doing. Although ask me in a few weeks and I may have changed my mind :p

How is everyone finding fifth year? I like it so far but it's early days haha

• Registered Users Posts: 17 conorfinn1

Stearinlys wrote: »
    How is everyone finding fifth year? I like it so far but it's early days haha

It's okay.

A lot of demanding work though even for the start of the year. You've to hit the ground running

• Advertisement

I missed what would add up to a day,and have a business project, and English essay due. I knew it would be work, but I'm still half in summer mode.. :o

I missed half a day and had a good 3-4 hours of homework to catch up on. Honestly didn't realise the work would pile up this fast:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Oathkeeper

Taking the liberty to revive this thread how's everybody in 5th year

Oathkeeper wrote: »
    Taking the liberty to revive this thread how's everybody in 5th year

I really like English this year and I'm finding all the subjects to be okay, maths is hit or miss though and Irish is a lot of learning work haha

Stearinlys wrote: »
    I really like English this year and I'm finding all the subjects to be okay, maths is hit or miss though and Irish is a lot of learning work haha
    Yeah I kinda of understand where ur coming from English is really good but Hl maths is really hard too check out my study log if you want to know more
    Not to sound creepy or anything

I really wish it was summer again. I had no idea 5th year would be so tough!! I don't really get a huge amount of homework but I study a lot so that's why I find it a lot to take on compared to others who do nothing. What subjects are you guys/girls finding the hardest? For me it would have to be French, Maths and the food science bits of Home Ec. Hopefully I'll get my head around those 3 before my winter exams :confused: . If anyone has any study tips for the Journal Intime and those opinion pieces for French please let me know. I am so so bad at languages and there isn't much of a pattern in the questions at all :( .

I really wish it was summer again. I had no idea 5th year would be so tough!! I don't really get a huge amount of homework but I study a lot so that's why I find it a lot to take on compared to others who do nothing. What subjects are you guys/girls finding the hardest? For me it would have to be French, Maths and the food science bits of Home Ec. Hopefully I'll get my head around those 3 before my winter exams :confused: . If anyone has any study tips for the Journal Intime and those opinion pieces for French please let me know. I am so so bad at languages and there isn't much of a pattern in the questions at all :( .
    hi llama I'm in the same predicament I really hate languages especially Hl French listening I'm so bad a that 😭 Hl maths is just OK since we just finished algebra 1 and 2 so yeah

How much of the course have ye covered so far in each subject?
    In Business we've done:
    Unit 1, 2 and parts of 3. .

In Economics we've done:
    Demand, Supply, Oligopoly and Elasticity .

In French we've done:
    Journal intimes
    Grammar
    Opinion pieces
    Bits of listening and just general things.

In Maths we've done:
    Algebra/Simultaneous Eqs ( I'm in ordinary level )

In English we've done:
    Only the Great Gatsby ( we are so behind in the course because we spent ages reading the book eek)

In Home Ec we've done:
    Nutrition/Energy
    Carbs
    Cereals
    Fruit/Veg
    Soups/Sauces

In Irish we've done:
    Géibheann
    A sraith pic
    Hurlamaboc ( I do ordinary as well )

In LCVP we've done:
    CV
    Summary Report
    Career Investigation

Oh god higher level maths. I find parts of ordinary maths tough. I can't imagine how much more advance it is in higher level. I better go study and get off boards!!!

• Advertisement

How much of the course have ye covered so far in each subject?
    In Business we've done:
    Unit 1, 2 and parts of 3. .

In Economics we've done:
    Demand, Supply, Oligopoly and Elasticity .

In French we've done:
    Journal intimes
    Grammar
    Opinion pieces
    Bits of listening and just general things.

In Maths we've done:
    Algebra/Simultaneous Eqs ( I'm in ordinary level )

In English we've done:
    Only the Great Gatsby ( we are so behind in the course because we spent ages reading the book eek)

In Home Ec we've done:
    Nutrition/Energy
    Carbs
    Cereals
    Fruit/Veg
    Soups/Sauces

In Irish we've done:
    Géibheann
    A sraith pic
    Hurlamaboc ( I do ordinary as well )

In LCVP we've done:
    CV
    Summary Report
    Career Investigation
    Buisness : all of unit 1 (kinda behind never done business before)
    Irish OL: Geibhann
    Sraith pic
    Hurlamboc 1
    English: King Lear act 1 and 2
    Maths algebra 1 and 2
    Physics light section
    Biology food Characteristics of life cell structure
    French: don't know what we've done our teacher is so bad like lessons are random

Advertisement