Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Leaving Cert (2018) Off-Topic Thread :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Account Number

English:Some random Paper 1 sh1te
    Coming to the end of Act 4 of Lear (We're taking forever with it) :(
    Gaeilge:Géibheann
    An Gnáthrud
    ] Fadbanna ag Déagóirí na Tíre Seo (an aiste)
    4 sraiths
    Small bits of a comhrá
    Maths: Nearly finished first 5 chapters of Effective Maths
    Spanish:Mostly revision-Myself
    Past tenses
    Future tenses
    Present tense
    Reflexive verbs
    Biology: Scientific Method
    Characteristics of Living Things
    Food
    Cell Structure
    Digestion
    Diffusion & Osmosis
    In the middle of Enzymes
    Chemistry:History of the Atom
    Atomic Structure
    Chemical Bonding
    Anion Tests
    Radioactivity
    Doing the Table Trends now
    Business:Introduction to People in Business
    Industries & Sectors of the Economy
    Types of Business Organisations
    Business,Economy & Community Development
    Just started Business Ethics
    So yeah,we're doing better in some subjects than others :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Xcutioon

Sup Guys I Do
    English HL
    Maths OL (trying to get into HL because ordinary is piss easy)
    Irish OL (Our Teacher Is Horrible So probably gonna have to study and work hard for that myself)
    Business(Never Done It Before But Finding It Incredibly Easy)
    Physics(Literally one word that can sum up physics EFFORT!!!!!!!)
    History(TOO MUCH LEARNING TO DO GOD DAMN IT!!!)
    French(Teachers Decent Still Got Alot Of Work To Do)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭LLAMAMILK

My English class are so behind. The other classes get an essay every night (not complaining about not having to do that) but we've only done like 3 essays. Don't want to reveal myself on this. but let's just say my teacher has to leave for the year and we are going to have some outsider teaching us.

My Irish teacher is really nice and a laugh but she can't teach or control the class. People literally don't do a tap in her class and she's too soft to report them. We've a group chat to send notes to in order to save time in class.

They're the only 2 I'm worried about. Especially English considering you really need a good teacher for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

LLAMAMILK wrote: »
    My English class are so behind. The other classes get an essay every night (not complaining about not having to do that) but we've only done like 3 essays. Don't want to reveal myself on this. but let's just say my teacher has to leave for the year and we are going to have some outsider teaching us.

My Irish teacher is really nice and a laugh but she can't teach or control the class. People literally don't do a tap in her class and she's too soft to report them. We've a group chat to send notes to in order to save time in class.

They're the only 2 I'm worried about. Especially English considering you really need a good teacher for it.

I wouldn't worry too much about your English- whatever substitute you get will be a qualified English teacher, not just some randomer picked off the street. Also, don't stress comparing your class to other classes and what they've done...the same teaching/learning methods don't work for everyone and honestly I don't see the benefit in doing an essay every night, which I doubt are being comprehensively corrected.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

nermal15 wrote: »
    honestly I don't see the benefit in doing an essay every night, which I doubt are being comprehensively corrected.

Whether they are corrected or not, the benefit is in doing the essays.
    Writing essays/short stories/descriptive passages/prose in all sorts of styles will stand to you, whether they are corrected or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

Writing every night is definitely beneficial, I just meant that a full exam style essay every night is too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Oathkeeper

Guys I actually think I'm struggling to get motivated these days I did no work during the mid term and I really don't study much anybody have any study tips I struggle with
    Logs-Hl Maths
    The mathsy parts of physics (light)
    French Hl (I'm really bad st French)

So I have a new English teacher as ye are aware of. She's so nice and lovely!! We're really getting into actually doing homework in English now which is good. My exams start Friday fml. I have maths and English which I'm not happy about. I really have to cram for them as I did the least work on them.

I'd really recommend everyone getting a Studyclix account. I personally think it's brilliant. It has marking schemes and every question that has come up on a topic to date condensed onto 1 page. Thebusinessguys.ie is also great for anyone doing Business, Economics or Accounting.

LLAMAMILK wrote: »
    I'd really recommend everyone getting a Studyclix account. I personally think it's brilliant. It has marking schemes and every question that has come up on a topic to date condensed onto 1 page. Thebusinessguys.ie is also great for anyone doing Business, Economics or Accounting.
    Thanks for the tip are your Christmas exams starting on Friday that's a bit abstract

• Advertisement

Oathkeeper wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip are your Christmas exams starting on Friday that's a bit abstract

Yes. They start Friday :( . I'm so not ready for Maths and English!!

Guys I Just wanna know how everyone is
    Preparing for their Christmas exams in
    Irish OL
    French Ol
    Maths HL
    Physics HL
    English HL
    History HL

So I finished my winter exams!!!!!!
    I'm actually delighted with how they all went. My heads wrecked from study though!

I'm hoping to get:
    Maths: A
    Irish: A
    English: B/C
    French: C
    Home Ec: B
    Business: A
    Economics: A

Hey guys I am seriously thinking of dropping french and I want to do computer science in TCD Or UCD so I was wandering if u needed a third language

I'm the exact same. Struggling so much with French. I just don't get anything at all. I got a D in the winter exams. I dropped but my teacher put me back up. I'm at risk of failing it because the comprehensions are rock hard so is the writing. We can't drop it because you need a third language as far as I'm aware.

This thread seems to be dying a slow death :P But I may finally be getting my form back after the JC (I know it was back in June....:o ).But 56/60 in an Irish tape,and seem to be fully prepped for a logs test tomorrow! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

This entire forum is dying a slow death

O.k So for the sake of keeping this forum alive i would indulge every body to update us on how they are doing overall

physics doing well enough but not at h4 or h3 level just yet.
    business h1 level too easy
    history h1 level but too lazy to do project
    irish ordinary level getting better every day probably at 04 level
    english getting better at writing essays everyday h4 level
    french fail wanna drop so badly
    maths hl getting better but still only at h7 level

Sure look as one of the most vocal in the thread I feel I should contribute:
    English: Were taking ages to cover anything... enjoyed 1984 though. About h2/h3
    Maths: Like it but again going kinda slow.We have 3 weeks to cover 3/4 chapters!! Again h2/h3
    Irish: I know nothing that isn't a sraith! Admittedly my fault cos I haven't studied other stuff since Christmas but we have an oral 2 weeks after coming back so that won't change. With work h2/h1
    Spanish: I have no clue what I've learned all year but I can handle past papers and the like pretty well and the teacher said he thinks I can get a h1. H2/h1
    Biology: I love this subject so bloody much and know past paper questions really well. Hopefully h1/h2
    Chemistry: Again bloody love this subject and could be my most likely h1
    Business: Words can't describe my loathing of this subject and I wish to God I picked physics or app maths instead. Don't know but won't be counting it

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

Sure look as one of the most vocal in the thread I feel I should contribute:
    English: Were taking ages to cover anything... enjoyed 1984 though. About h2/h3
    Maths: Like it but again going kinda slow.We have 3 weeks to cover 3/4 chapters!! Again h2/h3
    Irish: I know nothing that isn't a sraith! Admittedly my fault cos I haven't studied other stuff since Christmas but we have an oral 2 weeks after coming back so that won't change. With work h2/h1
    Spanish: I have no clue what I've learned all year but I can handle past papers and the like pretty well and the teacher said he thinks I can get a h1. H2/h1
    Biology: I love this subject so bloody much and know past paper questions really well. Hopefully h1/h2
    Chemistry: Again bloody love this subject and could be my most likely h1
    Business: Words can't describe my loathing of this subject and I wish to God I picked physics or app maths instead. Don't know but won't be counting it

Would you chance trying applied maths out? It could be a nice backup subject for you if you like science (which you seem to!) and maths. Obviously it would have been best to start it from the beginning of fifth year but you could definitely still secure a good grade in it!

• Advertisement

Would you chance trying applied maths out? It could be a nice backup subject for you if you like science (which you seem to!) and maths. Obviously it would have been best to start it from the beginning of fifth year but you could definitely still secure a good grade in it!
    This was something I was definitely considering,but my main problem is that I know I wouldn't be able for 8 workloads. It sounds like an obvious solution to just drop Business in that case,but I don't really want to toss it all, after working on it, and studying it for so long already. Also, the numbers for App Maths in our year, were too low for a class to be run,(Probably thanks to people like me :o ) so I couldn't make class changes anyway

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You could study it yourself, with some grinds and just tell your Examinations Secretary you wish to sit it when they are getting the information from you next October.

Well Lads since everybody's in the mood of sharing progress i think i will to
    English:it's alright if i work more on my essay writing skills then i will get a H2 currently at a H5
    Irish who cares im ordinary level
    Maths:with work H6 or H7
    Buisness:Easy peasy lemon squeezie H1 easily
    Biology:Same,god i love biology H1 easily
    Physics: Need to try harder currently at a H6 want to get a H3 got a H4 in christmas test but slacked off gotta get in gear
    French: Panicking my actual french teacher was not here until march and we had a bad sub teacher and now were getting piled with work and our summer test is going to be extremely hard she doesnt have any faith in any of us. It's like she's trying to only leave 10 in the higher level class she said if we dont get at least 40% we drop she doesnt care if we call in mammy or daddy any tips

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Stearinlys

English: H1/H2 I love it so much this year, especially all the King Lear stuff.
    Irish: don't ...
    Maths: H6 maybe H5 with a lot of study lol
    Music: H2 but maybe a H1 if I studied more
    French: H3
    Business: H1 easiest subject
    Accounting: H2 maybe but the theory brings me down

Can't believe how fast 5th year went by!!
    English: It's okay. We don't get tests so I'm not sure how I'm getting on. We're way behind in the course so more to do in 6th year. We literally aren't getting enough work to do.
    Irish: It's ordinary so easy asf for me. Haven't dropped below an A thankfully. We've done no oral work barely or P1 which is worrying.
    Maths: Struggling and getting mixed grades. Hate the subject!!
    French: Getting C's at the moment. It's very hard but I'm really going to work over the summer on improving.
    Business: We're on unit 4 which I find ugh. Still my favourite subject though.
    Home Ec: All our assignments are wrote up so we're just doing extra theory as we've covered all the 5th year topics.
    Economics: We're doing those factors of production and I hate them so much. I've started to lose interest in the subject because of those chapters.
    LCVP: All portfolio work done so just doing exam papers.
    So I'm not getting on as well as I was on my earlier posts. Not going to do well in the summer exams but I don't even care. I'm sick of getting anxiety over studying.

Well, summer results came, and I got the almighty 625 :D. Feels kind of weird knowing at the end of the week, we're sixth years, in a way. :eek: Anyways
    English: 90 - Happy enough. Given that it was English, I didn't know what sort of a score to expect, but this is grand
    Irish:91 - I was expecting about 2-3 percent higher, but still, given I bullsh1tted my way through the poetry, this is all g
    Spanish:82 - I admittedly fecked up my oral really badly,so was expecting something like this,but want to bring this up next year
    Maths:92 - Again, was expecting slightly higher but who knows? I must have slipped up with the calculator a bit :o
    Chemistry:92 - Happy with this, there were 1/2 questions that had me a bit :eek: , but overall lovely paper
    Biology:94 - I did way better on this paper than I was expecting, especially cos there was so few past paper questions on it,but buzzin with it
    Business:95 - Don't ask.The ABQ was one I had literally practised the night before, and in all fairness, we were given 10 marks for writing our names ( not joking), so I guess I got lucky here.
    Currently gathering up courage to ask the tuismitheoiri re Applied Maths. Started doing it myself, and liking it but feel I'd be better off with an actual teacher

Well, summer results came, and I got the almighty 625 :D. Feels kind of weird knowing at the end of the week, we're sixth years, in a way. :eek: Anyways
    English: 90 - Happy enough. Given that it was English, I didn't know what sort of a score to expect, but this is grand
    Irish:91 - I was expecting about 2-3 percent higher, but still, given I bullsh1tted my way through the poetry, this is all g
    Spanish:82 - I admittedly fecked up my oral really badly,so was expecting something like this,but want to bring this up next year
    Maths:92 - Again, was expecting slightly higher but who knows? I must have slipped up with the calculator a bit :o
    Chemistry:92 - Happy with this, there were 1/2 questions that had me a bit :eek: , but overall lovely paper
    Biology:94 - I did way better on this paper than I was expecting, especially cos there was so few past paper questions on it,but buzzin with it
    Business:95 - Don't ask.The ABQ was one I had literally practised the night before, and in all fairness, we were given 10 marks for writing our names ( not joking), so I guess I got lucky here.
    Currently gathering up courage to ask the tuismitheoiri re Applied Maths. Started doing it myself, and liking it but feel I'd be better off with an actual teacher
    Sick bro wish I could say the same

F@ck!! Well done!! I'm getting my results this week. Definitely did nowhere near as good as you despite my hard work . My exams weren't the best but I got home ec and maths back and I got a H2 (88%) in home ec and (60%) in maths. Was happy with maths as it was a very hard exam and the majority of people who are better at maths than me got a lot lower! Home ec was brilliant but the long question let me down big time.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 14 brian1999

Any tips on the business course as I'm started it this year with only one year to go. I plan to get ahead on the summer months. What units are on for the abc question this year. Any help appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Stearinlys

brian1999 wrote: »
    Any tips on the business course as I'm started it this year with only one year to go. I plan to get ahead on the summer months. What units are on for the abc question this year. Any help appreciated

when answering questions use SEE (statement, explanation & example) and bullet point your answers. try have an example for everything and practice a lot of exam papers!

Advertisement