Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Leaving Cert (2018) Off-Topic Thread :)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭LLAMAMILK

It's on units 5,6 and 7. I use the SELE method. State, Explain, Link and where mentioned, evaluate.
    I'd recommend printing off past exam paper ABQs on these units. They're all on studyclix in the business section and use a highlighter to highlight parts in the ABQ that relate to the question.
    Make sure you start with these units first because the ABQ is worth a huge 80 marks and will have a huge effect on your final grade.

EXAMPLE:
    Explain the characteristics/skills Mary showed as an entrepreneur (20 marks)

You'd want about 4 or 5 points. Finding a 5th point, for me, is usually a challenge as you really will have to read the piece a good few times. Sometimes in the ABQ, they would only want 3 points, other times they would be demanding and want more.

STATE: Mary is a risk taker.
    Explain: Being a risk taker means taking calculated risks, which provide a good chance for success. Entrepreneurs aren't afraid of having a go, even though they may not succeed in business.
    Link: Mary showed this in how she "invested 50,000 into her business". Or you could quote in your own words.

So my exam results came in the post today :o

Irish- 88% (O2): I was happy enough with this. I was pretty wrecked as it was my second last exam and the main thing that messed me up was grammar but I've always found grammar challenging. The rest of the exam was a dream!!

Maths- 60% (O4): I know that's sh!te but the exam was so hard because of the way the questions were phrased and many people who excel in my class got far worse.

English- 72% (H3): Disappointed is an understatement! I know poetry was a disaster for me and it was also worth 20 marks but I felt my comparative was lovely. My class haven't even done unseen poetry questions or covered/ done homework on the comparative so I guess the result was good under the circumstances.

French- 56% (H5): So it's bad but I don't care. Languages were never my thing and I struggle so much with the damn language because of the endless possibilities in terms of writing tasks. The comprehension was super hard as well.

Business- 77% (H3): I'm usually a straight A student in this subject and what I hope to do in college. What brought me down was the ABQ rather than time management. It wasn't a proper ABQ, and the marks for the questions within it were very odd as well as figuring out what theory you needed to mention. The short questions were what saved me as the other long q I completely bombed.

Home Ec- 88% (H2): Was super happy with this result considering I was a bag of nerves in the exam. My shorts were brilliant as were my longs. The only thing that brought me down was how I completely waffled an account of an Irish food industry as I didn't look over it being the silly girl I am.

Economics- 95% (H1) OH MY GOSHHH HOWWWWWW?? I honestly was expecting a H2 or H3. My shorts weren't great and I definitely messed up 2 15 marker topical questions in the longs. I honestly think my teacher marked me incorrectly because I was so not focused in the exam because my besto kept running in and out of the exam hall because she had a panic attack over her accounting exam and I felt so sorry for her because that happened to me only a few weeks back. Still over the moon though!

LCVP/Link Modules/Whatever it wants to be called: I got a distinction I think?? Well I'm literally the only person who does a tap of work so it must be great. All my portfolio items bar the recorded interview which we haven't done yet was to a very high standard according to my teacher. I just need to cover all the exam papers in the next few weeks so I know and have an idea of the theory as I can't see us possibly learning much in 6th year! If I actually got the distinction though that could be the difference between what college I end up in! Then again, the recorded interview is so hard because they speak too quick and the last question in it is harder to answer.

Overall, I'm happy. 444 points. Not the best results but sure yolo. I'll work even harder this year and hope and pray I can retain more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DaleyBlind

brian1999 wrote: »
    Any tips on the business course as I'm started it this year with only one year to go. I plan to get ahead on the summer months. What units are on for the abc question this year. Any help appreciated

5,6,7. Business is very easy to understand and is mainly learning things off. Once you put effort in you should do well.

I don't know how to change the 5th year thread's name so we're gonna start fresh.
    Tomorrow is results day, meaning we are officially 6th years!! (yayyy not)
    Can't believe how fast 5th year went by! Literally am dreading 6th year because of how little we've covered in some subjects!
    Hopefully this thread is more successful than the 5th year thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

LLAMAMILK wrote: »
    I don't know how to change the 5th year thread's name ...
    I do! :pac:

Can we leave finalising it until nearer the end of the month when the worst of the CAO schemozzle has died down, and last year's bunch are moving on? It'll only cause confusion otherwise. ;)

• Advertisement

I do! :pac:

Can we leave finalising it until nearer the end of the month when the worst of the CAO schemozzle has died down, and last year's bunch are moving on? It'll only cause confusion otherwise. ;)

Yeah of course. Sorry Randy and Spurious!!

Starting a thread with the best of intentions never needs an apology, chief! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Account Number

Anyone started back yet? We went in yesterday for lockers, in Tuesday for induction, and back fully on Wednesday 😥

Anyone started back yet? We went in yesterday for lockers, in Tuesday for induction, and back fully on Wednesday 😥

I'm back on Monday at 11am. I hope I will be anyway as I've blood tests in the morning! Hope I get a middle locker and a decent timetable!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

Hey guys, I have pdf files of the solutions to all the Text and Tests books. I found them really useful to use when I was stuck on a question in the book as it provides the solution and can show you where you went wrong. If anyone is interested, please pm me your email and I will send them to you (so long as you promise not to use them to get homework done quickly!)

• Advertisement

The maths solutions are at the back of the book lol. First day back yesterday and not in again until Thursday properly :P
    It was alright. My school has adapted a "no phone at all" policy and it sounds like they actually mean it! I don't use my phone really in school but I actually need it for supervised study to look up marking schemes and listen to music whilst I study which is really not fair!!!
    I got an awful weird timetable as well and have all my subjects on Monday so I'll probably have to bring 2 bags to school most days to carry everything!
    Finally, it looks like I have a new English teacher which came as a surprise as I thought our main teacher was going to be coming back because I had seen them around the school. Praying they are some what good since the last teacher really could've put more effort in!

The maths solutions are at the back of the book lol. First day back yesterday and not in again until Thursday properly :P
    It was alright. My school has adapted a "no phone at all" policy and it sounds like they actually mean it! I don't use my phone really in school but I actually need it for supervised study to look up marking schemes and listen to music whilst I study which is really not fair!!!
    I got an awful weird timetable as well and have all my subjects on Monday so I'll probably have to bring 2 bags to school most days to carry everything!
    Finally, it looks like I have a new English teacher which came as a surprise as I thought our main teacher was going to be coming back because I had seen them around the school. Praying they are some what good since the last teacher really could've put more effort in!

I think they meant fully worked out solutions instead of just the answers. I wouldn't recommend anybody using those to be honest because the only way you can properly learn maths is by working out all the problems yourself.

Well I still have double PE 😅 (In our school they sometimes give two singles!) Also got my new Maths teacher cos my old one retired.😣 It all begins tomorrow....

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Oathkeeper

Well our school is fecked cause our classes are now an hour long used to be 40 minutes
    Today was the first day and I feel so huge compared to the first years kinda nostalgic though well it's time to put the work in aiming for about 500 hopefully

By the way I just realised that the new 5th year thread has more posts in the last 3 weeks than we have had all year lol☺

So I've been made a prefect and have to go in and talk to second years for a class but I haven't a clue what to say to them! Like they know how the school works at this stage. I'll probably just end up discussing GoT theories with them but like i dunno I feel I should say something somewhat helpful..

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

DaleyBlind wrote: »
    I think they meant fully worked out solutions instead of just the answers. I wouldn't recommend anybody using those to be honest because the only way you can properly learn maths is by working out all the problems yourself.

As I said, I do not recommend using them unless you are stuck on a maths question for ages. Having the worked-out solutions is great so long as you try your best at the question before looking at them and that when you do look at them you make sure you understand what the solution did differently than you.

Honestly feel like I'm the only person who's never watched GoT lol.
    Yeah I know our 5th year thread was such a fail lol. Got a bit of homework this weekend but mostly I'll be revising 5th year topics.
    By the way, if anyone here has a studygram on Instagram or is thinking of creating one please let me know as I've set up a study fam group chat on it and they're actually quite common! Just think it would be great to connect the Irish students on Instagram and the 6th year students here in one big group!

Oathkeeper wrote: »
    Well our school is fecked cause our classes are now an hour long used to be 40 minutes
    Today was the first day and I feel so huge compared to the first years kinda nostalgic though well it's time to put the work in aiming for about 500 hopefully

By the way I just realised that the new 5th year thread has more posts in the last 3 weeks than we have had all year lol☺

Wow! I'd need a miracle to get 500! I'm the opposite. I feel so small compared to the first years lol as I'm so young for my age and only 5ft 2 ughh!!

hasdanta wrote: »
    As I said, I do not recommend using them unless you are stuck on a maths question for ages. Having the worked-out solutions is great so long as you try your best at the question before looking at them and that when you do look at them you make sure you understand what the solution did differently than you.

Yeah that's fair enough then if you make an honest effort before looking at the answer.

Is anyone starting general lc revision this weekend? I was gonna give myself this week gone to just settle in but if others are starting I should probably get a move on...

• Advertisement

So our school's debs date got booked before the committee was even picked, and now everyone has an mua booked and a date. Then there's me who only knows that I won't be wearing a strapless dress... :rolleyes: Can I have a prize for being one of the people to contribute most to this thread? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Oathkeeper

Hi guys I was just wondering in terms of studying for the lc are you guys starting with the 5th year stuff as I took this week off to chill and prepare and get organised

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ponguin

lol as I'm so young for my age

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Xcutioon

Honestly feel like I'm the only person who's never watched GoT lol.
    Yeah I know our 5th year thread was such a fail lol. Got a bit of homework this weekend but mostly I'll be revising 5th year topics.
    By the way, if anyone here has a studygram on Instagram or is thinking of creating one please let me know as I've set up a study fam group chat on it and they're actually quite common! Just think it would be great to connect the Irish students on Instagram and the 6th year students here in one big group!

If u create one I would definitely love to join

Xcutioon wrote: »
    If u create one I would definitely love to join

Yep. I do indeed have a group chat on Instagram. If you follow @gotta.study.sorry , I'll add you into it as there's 9 of us atm and it's great to meet study buddies :) .
    Boards.ie is great don't get me wrong it's a life saver coming up to exams but I feel it can be hard to get into a routine of remembering to check back on the LC forum for updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Xcutioon

Yep. I do indeed have a group chat on Instagram. If you follow @gotta.study.sorry , I'll add you into it as there's 9 of us atm and it's great to meet study buddies :) .
    Boards.ie is great don't get me wrong it's a life saver coming up to exams but I feel it can be hard to get into a routine of remembering to check back on the LC forum for updates.

So I've followed the page soz what the next step

Wow, this forum has changed when I had to go back 7 months to find the LC OT Thread!!

I can remember when we went through 2.5 of these in a year (x10,000 posts) filled with everything and anything from the best type of A4 refill pads (yes, people can be quite obsessive about their stationary needs! :pac:) to comparisons about everyone's first-thing-in-the-morning routine (a somewhat dangerous topic as it transpired when Cian, Zach and Patchy decided to share a little too honestly! >_> ).

Advertisement