Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT rate to charge

Options
  • 25-06-2016 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

I registered for VAT a few months ago and I have my first private job where I'm supplying the materials and labour.

I'm wondering what rate of VAT do I charge for the job? Is it 13.5% or 21% ?

I usually work as a sub contractor fitting out interiors shops etc. But I don't charge the principal contractor VAT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

It's not simple get professional advice .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Bigus wrote: »
    It's not simple get professional advice .

Unfortunately my accountant is away on hols and I don't want to be annoying her

Unfortunately my accountant is away on hols.

Say the materials cost €600 plus my markup on them then labour another €600 does anyone know what the VAT rate I should be charging on my invoice?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

If you're doing a job with materials,and it's all going on the same invoice you charge 13.5%
    I'd youre just supplying materials or products the vat rate would be 23%
    When you buy materials you pay 23% vat as with most products in Ireland, you would be charging them out at 13.5% and you would be due vat rebate

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Labour €600
    Materials €600
    Net total €1200
    Vat €162
    Final bill €1362

• Advertisement

Lenny wrote: »
    If you're doing a job with materials,and it's all going on the same invoice you charge 13.5%
    I'd youre just supplying materials or products the vat rate would be 23%
    When you buy materials you pay 23% vat as with most products in Ireland, you would be charging them out at 13.5% and you would be due vat rebate

So say in my above example materials were €600 plus 30% markup on them then €600 labour I add all that together and then add 13.5% VAT on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Do a google of the VAT 2/3rds rule.

So say in my above example materials were €600 plus 30% markup on them then €600 labour I add all that together and then add 13.5% VAT on it?
    I can't be 100% on that,
    Have a read of this,
    Have a Google of the 2/3 rule, first hit on askaboutmoney...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

2/3 rule decides what VAT rate you charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Say the materials cost €600 plus my markup on them then labour another €600 does anyone know what the VAT rate I should be charging on my invoice?

On that basis you should charge 13.5%.

If you were paying the materials for €600 and you were charging the customer less than €900, (both figures not including VAT), then you would charge 23%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

You would invoice €1,380 plus VAT of 13.5% which is €186.30.

Total €1,556.30.

exaisle wrote: »
    You would invoice €1,380 plus VAT of 13.5% which is €186.30.

Total €1,556.30.

Thanks for that. That's exactly what I was wondering

Thanks everyone! Great advice for all ye sound people :-)

Advertisement